Who will stay with Moto after the Ultra/Maxx/Mini?

Search This thread

svzurich

Dec 20, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I already did. Also ordered the Saygus V2.

Opened a T-Mobile account recently with my OPO to take advantage of the 2 lines with Unlimited Everything for $100 a month. That's roughly $50 each, which is nothing considering T-Mobile usually offers Unlimited Everything for $80. Covers both me and my girlfriend. Still have my Droid Maxx on Verizon (warranty replacement, can't root it). Waiting to see what crap they pull on the N6.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
I know that their is a "small" percentage of users that care about doing "fancy" stuff like rooting, flashing, modding, adb, etc... I happen to be one of those. I refused to be unable to backup or change features of my phone if I want - that's why I left the iPhone scene.

I don't have "brand loyalty" either per-se... but if I am happy with V1, then V2 will be my first stop. I was happy with the Note 2 and thus I now have a Note 3. Knox and other restrictions are driving me from Note 4. I understand Phone Manufacturers and Carriers want their control... but when I can't uninstall Yahoo Pages, Random Car Game and Poor Attempt At Voice Search... I have issues.

Some say they don't want a "phablet", but that's definitely my cup of tea. I need the screen real estate. Rooting, flashing, roms, tweaking are my requirements. Qi charging, extended life batteries, high end camera, etc are all huge bonuses - not required but will lead me to a buy.

Sounds like what you need to do is buy a developer edition.

wernercd

Mar 14, 2011
Sounds like what you need to do is buy a developer edition.

My "full" discount on phone upgrade is next August (although I could steal one of the other upgrades on our plan, I'm currently on hold due to new-job uncertainties :). I hope to see some decent Developer or Dual-Boot (Windows 10) options that are at-least in the Note range.

Hopefully Windows 10 app store isn't still crap by then, otherwise that won't be a worry.

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
My "full" discount on phone upgrade is next August (although I could steal one of the other upgrades on our plan, I'm currently on hold due to new-job uncertainties :). I hope to see some decent Developer or Dual-Boot (Windows 10) options that are at-least in the Note range.

Hopefully Windows 10 app store isn't still crap by then, otherwise that won't be a worry.

Unfortunately developer edition phones can only be purchased through the manufacturer and get no discount at all.

bwheelies

Dec 6, 2010
Funny this thread popped up. I just ordered a Nexus 6. Can't say I will get another locked down phone.

doogald

May 27, 2010
I honestly don't care about rooting phones anymore, but Lollipop is out for over 6 months now and the Droid Turbo still has no update, much less the previous year's Maxx/Ultra/Mini. By this time last year those phones had KitKat for months and the 2012 Droids were starting a soak test for 4.4.2.

Verizon has done a poor job of supporting these phones in the last 12 months so the only way that I will stay with Motorola going forward is if they surprise us with a new Moto X this year with enough battery life to get through a day - because last year's model definitely won't for me.

The G6 has a battery that's too small and is made of glass (really? haven't we learned that this is a poor choice?), the M9 has a mediocre camera, I think that the Note 4 and LG G4 are too big for a non-stock Android build, and the Nexus 6 is ridiculously too big. I don't know what I'm going to do, though I know it won't be a Droid. While I think that KitKat isn't terrible on these phones, the delayed update worries me about the timely support of future devices. I think that Motorola can handle it, but I think that Verizon just doesn't care all that much whether the phones have an updated OS, and that worries me if I am going to commit to the phone.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
There are so many reasons why the maxx and turbo don't have 5.0 yet. First the maxx chip set was an issue and then 5.0.2 had a bad memory leak. So 5.1 became the update os. They had to start testing all over again. The turbo is different it should have been updated but wasn't because of volte. It is native in 5.1 so I think k moto just waited for 5.1 to start testing. I have no real proof of this its just my thinking. I do hope they are updated soon these phones have a shelf life and I'm getting a new phone this year. Waiting to see what moto comes up with next. I don't believe Verizon is holding it up they have updated several phones already. Just my .02

sent from "my kungfu is stronger then yours" XT1080

doogald

May 27, 2010
There are so many reasons why the maxx and turbo don't have 5.0 yet. First the maxx chip set was an issue and then 5.0.2 had a bad memory leak. So 5.1 became the update os. They had to start testing all over again.

They're simply not going to update the Maxx until the Turbo is done. All the rest of that is true, but it doesn't matter until the Turbo is done.

The turbo is different it should have been updated but wasn't because of volte. It is native in 5.1 so I think k moto just waited for 5.1 to start testing.

Two months now since 5.1 released. If they were almost there with 5.0.x and just had to fix the 5.1 build, it's probably long since time that it should have been done. If Motorola could get the Verizon X update done in three weeks, I have full belief they could have had the Turbo ready by now, if Verizon wanted them to. I think this is a Verizon issue, not necessarily a Motorola issue.

Verizon doesn't hold up Motorola, Samsung, HTC or LG for their branded phones when the software is ready, but David Schuster of Motorola right around this time last year on Google+ hinted very, very strongly that they had 4.4.2 ready for the Maxx but Verizon was holding them up on the update. Remember that, unlike the other phones, Droid is Verizon's brand, made by Motorola on contract, so Verizon decides on the upgrade schedule for the Droid brand (of course after Motorola successfully develops the update.)

doogald

May 27, 2010
Yep, if those specs are right, and the camera turns out to be better, I'd go with a Moto X. That "clear pixel" for the camera worries me, though. That was supposedly the advantage of the original Moto X and 2013 Droids - the clear pixel camera. It turned out to be pretty bad.

someguyatx

Feb 7, 2012
Louisville
Ha my definition of staying with a device is 3-6 months. I had the original Moto X in 2013 then went to GS4, HTC One, Nokia Lumia Icon (briefly dabbled in Windows Phone), then came back to the Maxx because Active Notifications are really what I missed about the Moto X but I wanted capacitive buttons too. I love the battery life on this phone and will never consider something with a smaller battery again.

svzurich

Dec 20, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I wish the Moto Maxx had been sold in the US. It was the Droid Turbo without Verizon's shenanigans, but sold outside the US.

I am currently rocking the OnePlus One AND my Droid Maxx. T-Mobile for the OPO, Verizon for the Maxx. OPO is faster and stores more data, but Maxx is the fallback phone that gets the spam calls.

My next will be the Saygus V^2, primarily for the amazing storage on it.

I am hoping Motto makes a Moto X that pulls no punches, can do 64 bit, has at least 128gb storage as an option, and a super battery. I love their stuff, but Verizon's control freak nature turns me off. Make the Moto X super, and work on all carriers, dual sim, with unlocked bootloader. It'll be perfect then.

Y_Yan_C

Jan 25, 2010
Waterloo
Motorola C261, MotoRokr E6, Motosurf A3100, Miestone A853, Miestone 2 A953, Milestone 3 XT860, Razr Maxx XT910, Photon Q XT897, Droid Maxx XT1080M, Moto X(2nd Gen.) XT1097

they are all really really solid phones, minor creaking on my Maxx as well, but I dont find it a major issue. My girlfriend's bamboo x 2014 has minor peeling. Tweeted to Motorola (Canada) about it and they sent us a new X within a week! The new black plastic back x is solid as hell! Its not just the build and the near stock software that hits me. Its their business attitude that I admire. I know in the States if you don't like the X that you designed, you can send it back and make a new one! its these interactions that made me love Motorola

bwheelies

Dec 6, 2010
Well I will stick with moto not out of loyalty but out of likeability. So I saw the specs for the next moto x and it looks good bigger battery more ram and smaller here is the article http://www.mobylak.com/en/news/leak-motorola-moto-x-third-generation

That looks like a nice rig! I have moved on to the Nexus 6 a few months back and like it but I miss the Moto only apps that make hands free usage a cinch.

thenameisnigel

Nov 18, 2012
New York
www.iamroot.me
I wish the Moto Maxx had been sold in the US. It was the Droid Turbo without Verizon's shenanigans, but sold outside the US.

I am currently rocking the OnePlus One AND my Droid Maxx. T-Mobile for the OPO, Verizon for the Maxx. OPO is faster and stores more data, but Maxx is the fallback phone that gets the spam calls.

My next will be the Saygus V^2, primarily for the amazing storage on it.

I am hoping Motto makes a Moto X that pulls no punches, can do 64 bit, has at least 128gb storage as an option, and a super battery. I love their stuff, but Verizon's control freak nature turns me off. Make the Moto X super, and work on all carriers, dual sim, with unlocked bootloader. It'll be perfect then.

The Moto Maxx is on Swappa.

Dec 5, 2013
Droid Maxx

Droid Maxx xt1080m Obake - Love this phone! Spectacular battery, great sound clarity, pretty colors, and the size is Goldie-locks (just the right size). Got the bootloader unlocked way back when and have jumped back and forth between Motorola firmware, CMod, and PacMan. In the end, I always end up back in the stock ROM corner of the ring - outperforming any of the custom ROMS even if stock updates are.................really........................slow.............................................

You'll have to pry my Obake out of my cold dead fingers. Or simply wait until I find a better phone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just want to get out from under Verizon. That being said the functionality of these phones is awesome. So unless Google uses these new features in the next Nexus i'm jumping to the new Moto X on AT&T or the One from One plus.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app
    Thing you have to remember is that generally speaking both the carriers and the phone manufacturers don't care if you can root and for the most part don't want you to. Other than phones specifically sold as Developer editions I think we can pretty much expect that rooting is a thing of the past and if you manage to do it, its a matter of luck. dumping a particular manufacturer or carrier isn't going to do any good.

I wonder exactly how many people root their phones. Like a percentage by carrier.

And what their reasons for rooting are.

Mine are to get the data I pay for and improve my device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Well... After DroidMAXX, all the phones I buy / use will be having unlockable BL...
    Well I will stick with moto not out of loyalty but out of likeability. So I saw the specs for the next moto x and it looks good bigger battery more ram and smaller here is the article http://www.mobylak.com/en/news/leak-motorola-moto-x-third-generation