FORUMS

XDA Office Space: Frankenstein’s Perfect IM Client?

The portal’s decentralized XDA office lies in a Hangouts chatroom, where … more

Which IM Client on Android is best?

With so many different messengers to choose from, it can be tough to find the best one for you and … more

Android Factory Reset Security Flaw and More – XDA TV

Nvidia is releasing a 500Gb SHIELD TV Pro! That and much more news is … more

Android M Code Name: Macadamia Nut Cookie

While the official name for the latest iteration of Android has yet to be revealed, the code … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[THOR] Successfully rolled back to 13.3.1.0 (Safestrap working)

5th May 2015, 03:50 PM |#341  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by travanx

I had the same problem. I ended up upgrading to 3.2.5 and then downgrading. I tried a lot of different ways to edit buildprop and nothing would stick after a reboot.

I put the steps I took here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=82.

I'll try that. I downloaded the 3.2.5 bin and put it in the sdcard folder. But when I go to System Updates, there is no Update button. Just 'Check Now' which wants to use WiFi.

5th May 2015, 06:15 PM |#342  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepdog

I'll try that. I downloaded the 3.2.5 bin and put it in the sdcard folder. But when I go to System Updates, there is no Update button. Just 'Check Now' which wants to use WiFi.

When I factory reset, booted back in and put the bin file on the sdcard, it worked. Exact same problems. I had to keep factory resetting for each upgrade/downgrade along the way. I always forgot all wireless connections so there was never anything to connect to.
6th May 2015, 10:48 PM |#343  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by travanx

When I factory reset, booted back in and put the bin file on the sdcard, it worked. Exact same problems. I had to keep factory resetting for each upgrade/downgrade along the way. I always forgot all wireless connections so there was never anything to connect to.

First, I want to say I appreciate your help. However, when I do a factory reset then place the BIN in the Internal Storage folder, it still does not give me the option to update. I tried connecting it to wifi and hit the Check Now button, but it just says "Last Update Failed".

Any other ideas?
7th May 2015, 04:14 AM |#344  
Thanks Meter: 201

More
Quote:

First, I want to say I appreciate your help. However, when I do a factory reset then place the BIN in the Internal Storage folder, it still does not give me the option to update. I tried connecting it to wifi and hit the Check Now button, but it just says "Last Update Failed".

Any other ideas?

A "Last Update Failed" message is often (albeit not always) an indication your device believes it is at a higher firmware version than the 'upgrade' being attempted. Suggest the following:
- restore your original build.prop (you made a backup, right?)
- attempt an upgrade to 3.2.5 using bin and instructions here; if the update doesn't take try a factory reset per guidance from @travanx
- once at 3.2.5 you will need to reroot (suggest HDX toolkit) and block OTA if you need to temporarily connect to wifi
- follow the guidance in the OP to downgrade from 3.2.5 to 3.1.x (lower portion of post; don't mess with build.prop)

I assume your device shipped with 3.2.4 or naturally upgraded from a lower version via Amazon's normal OTA process.

If it still doesn't recognize the 3.2.5 bin as an update then something is likely messed with build.prop and/or a previous attempt to block OTA updates that hasn't been fully reversed.

As always be sure to remove all wifi profiles and stay away from open hotspots so your device can't spontaneously connect. Once on 3.2.5 Amazon will attempt to push 4.x updates which you clearly do not want.
7th May 2015, 05:42 AM |#345  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 35

More
After I factory reset I went into the device, made sure wireless didn't connect to anything. Then I used towelroot. Then reset the device. Then put the .bin file on the root sdcard folder. See if that updates. If not reset again and see if the .bin file is still where you placed it, then try updating. I kept doing some variation of this over and over until it finally worked. Once you get to 3.2.5 its smooth sailing.

Like Davey says check your build prop after the factory reset to verify its showing the correct number, 3.2.4?
The Following User Says Thank You to travanx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2015, 06:07 PM |#346  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

A "Last Update Failed" message is often (albeit not always) an indication your device believes it is at a higher firmware version than the 'upgrade' being attempted. Suggest the following:
- restore your original build.prop (you made a backup, right?)
- attempt an upgrade to 3.2.5 using bin and instructions here; if the update doesn't take try a factory reset per guidance from @travanx
- once at 3.2.5 you will need to reroot (suggest HDX toolkit) and block OTA if you need to temporarily connect to wifi
- follow the guidance in the OP to downgrade from 3.2.5 to 3.1.x (lower portion of post; don't mess with build.prop)

I assume your device shipped with 3.2.4 or naturally upgraded from a lower version via Amazon's normal OTA process.

If it still doesn't recognize the 3.2.5 bin as an update then something is likely messed with build.prop and/or a previous attempt to block OTA updates that hasn't been fully reversed.

As always be sure to remove all wifi profiles and stay away from open hotspots so your device can't spontaneously connect. Once on 3.2.5 Amazon will attempt to push 4.x updates which you clearly do not want.

I had to reenable the OTA Updates to get it to go to 3.2.5. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn it back off, and it upgraded to 4.5.3 overnight. Am I totally screwed now? My end goal was to install CM.
7th May 2015, 06:58 PM |#347  
Thanks Meter: 201

More
Quote:

I had to reenable the OTA Updates to get it to go to 3.2.5. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn it back off, and it upgraded to 4.5.3 overnight. Am I totally screwed now? My end goal was to install CM.

At present there is no path from 4.5.3 (or any version above 3.2.6) to a firmware level that will accommodate CM or any other rom as a native install (ie: vulnerable to exploits that permit bootloader signature bypass or unlocking). You can rollback to 3.2.8 and use Safestrap to toggle between Fire OS and Nexus which are both JellyBean based. A KitKat flavor of Nexus may become available in the future. You can also upgrade to 4.5.2 and install gapps which has its own set of benefits and issues.

In short, CM is off the radar until another vulnerability/exploit combo becomes available which seems unlikely. Another path involves disabling Amazons anti-rollback protection which seems more promising. Keep an eye on the forums for further developments.
The Following User Says Thank You to Davey126 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread