FORUMS

Samsung Galaxy S6 To Receive Major Camera Update

When the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge were launched, they became the prime focus for … more

Tactile: An Addicting Game with Beautiful Material Design

The game industry has been around for decades, catering to a wide … more

Android’s Consistency and The User Experience

This is a site of power users, and it is fair to say that most of us are more … more

Which Manufacturer (And Device) Made You Choose Android?

The beautiful thing about Android is that there is so much to choose from. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

RDF Discussion Thread for Sprint Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P)

5th May 2015, 10:31 PM |#391  
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 50

More
I've got it
I'm downloading the update right now (373.46 MB). If anyone can tell me where to look for the download url I will grab it and post it.

5th May 2015, 10:32 PM |#392  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 385

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooljb

I'm downloading the update right now (373.46 MB). If anyone can tell me where to look for the download url I will grab it and post it.

If you are near a computer with ABD installed (I wasn't earlier today and didn't want to wait to update):

How to grab the GOTA link to share: (from Droid-Life posting)
Install the Android SDK, enable USB debugging (does NOT require root), (great video from @qbking77 here) on your computer
When prompted to download an update, immediately plug your phone into that computer (with the SDK installed)
From that computer open a command prompt and type "adb devices" which will start the daemon, then type "adb logcat" and hit enter (information will start spewing from your phone to the command window)
THEN tap the download the update button on your phone, monitor the information from the logcat and find the URL (should start with "android.clients.google.com")
Might be easiest to copy the logcat into a text file and search for it (capture using command: adb logcat -d > logcat.txt) as the information might be too fast and furious on screen to read any of it
Once you have the URL, please post it in this thread so we can put it in the OP
The Following User Says Thank You to mmark27 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2015, 11:45 PM |#393  
Flag Memphis, TN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmark27

If you are near a computer with ABD installed (I wasn't earlier today and didn't want to wait to update):

How to grab the GOTA link to share: (from Droid-Life posting)
Install the Android SDK, enable USB debugging (does NOT require root), (great video from @qbking77 here) on your computer
When prompted to download an update, immediately plug your phone into that computer (with the SDK installed)
From that computer open a command prompt and type "adb devices" which will start the daemon, then type "adb logcat" and hit enter (information will start spewing from your phone to the command window)
THEN tap the download the update button on your phone, monitor the information from the logcat and find the URL (should start with "android.clients.google.com")
Might be easiest to copy the logcat into a text file and search for it (capture using command: adb logcat -d > logcat.txt) as the information might be too fast and furious on screen to read any of it
Once you have the URL, please post it in this thread so we can put it in the OP

I had already started downloading it so I wasn't able to go into adb. I did try running alogcat, but I guess I was too late for that too. I'm sure someone else will grab the url - someone more knowledgeable than me.
7th May 2015, 01:21 PM |#394  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 2,363

Donate to Me
More
Wife just got update

7th May 2015, 02:50 PM |#395  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
three diference vomune now is in the midlle of the display pin program and device lock now my phne run lesss warm and work great
8th May 2015, 07:04 PM |#396  
Flag LOS ANGELES
Thanks Meter: 1,196

More
From my understanding once you take the new update you cannot odin any previous Android version. I'm not interested in downgrading but I thought it might be worth sharing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to banccalif For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2015, 07:51 PM |#397  
Flag Memphis, TN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by banccalif

From my understanding once you take the new update you cannot odin any previous Android version. I'm not interested in downgrading but I thought it might be worth sharing

That was my experience - I took the OD3 update and tried to Odin back to OA6, but it failed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cooljb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2015, 08:41 PM |#398  
Flag Northern VA
Thanks Meter: 267

More
Quote:

I wonder if that is due to the Factory Reset Protection that was added. This feature is supposed to prevent a thief from performing a Factory Reset on a locked phone, making a stolen phone useless. It would be a loophole if you could downgrade and then do the factory reset. If this is the case, I wonder what other implications there may be (does it affect a custom recovery, etc).
10th May 2015, 12:19 AM |#399  
Flag LOS ANGELES
Thanks Meter: 1,196

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m20120

I wonder if that is due to the Factory Reset Protection that was added. This feature is supposed to prevent a thief from performing a Factory Reset on a locked phone, making a stolen phone useless. It would be a loophole if you could downgrade and then do the factory reset. If this is the case, I wonder what other implications there may be (does it affect a custom recovery, etc).

Yes that's what I've read but I won't be taking the update to experiment. I like the idea but I like my odin freedom MOAR
10th May 2015, 01:36 AM |#400  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:

Yes that's what I've read but I won't be taking the update to experiment. I like the idea but I like my odin freedom MOAR

Yes this would be quite interesting because I am assuming that there will be at least a few more updates to our phone. Hopefully one that would bring us to 5.1.1 or whichever version is the latest at that time. It you can't downgrade via Odin after OD3 can you upgrade? I did read someone in the moar these said they were running moar 6.2f with that firmware. It would be interesting to see how a custom recovery works under that firmware. In theory if you can get a custom recovery installed you could do a "factory reset."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=60608546
Last edited by El.Dante565; 10th May 2015 at 01:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to El.Dante565 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
rdf, sgs5, sprint
Previous Thread Next Thread