FORUMS

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more

Microsoft Reaches Pre-Install Agreement With New OEMs

As of late, Microsoft has been making a subtle but widespread play into the … more

Discover XDA: Discover Greater

We’ve all been there at some point in our XDA lives; we used to spend hours browsing over the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[ROM][5.1] 4/8/2015-Lollipop Stock Rooted Google Play Edition LMY47O.H4

13th May 2015, 01:15 AM |#1141  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 5,918

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshDeezy

Hey guys

I just got the OTA on my device (S-OFF, rooted, 5.0.1), but then when I clicked install it rebooted into TWRP and obviously hard stopped. Is there any way to upgrade it and preserve my data using only the device? Where is the OTA stored?

Should I just install this ROM and manually download everything again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petert87

You have to install those ota with gpe recovery, can't do that with twrp

Verstuurd van mijn HTC One_M8

The ota will fail on a rooted device. It will fail even if you were rooted and used something like super su to unroot. The system has to be completely stock and not modified at all...ever.. This is something they did after 5.0.

13th May 2015, 03:25 AM |#1142  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixnyc

The ota will fail on a rooted device. It will fail even if you were rooted and used something like super su to unroot. The system has to be completely stock and not modified at all...ever.. This is something they did after 5.0.

So is the best way to flash twrp then flash a proper zip if wanted to upgrade without losing existing data. Sorry it's been a while since the last update 😅
13th May 2015, 09:33 AM |#1143  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poine001

Will this work with the Developer Edition M8?

Hi there, am a new member who just bought an M8 Developer Edition. Also want to convert to GPE, have you perhaps achieved any success with it? Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poine001

Will this work with the Developer Edition M8?

Hi there, am a new member, just bought an M8 Developer Edition. Want to convert to GPE, have you perhaps succeeded? Thanks
13th May 2015, 03:08 PM |#1144  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese74

So is the best way to flash twrp then flash a proper zip if wanted to upgrade without losing existing data. Sorry it's been a while since the last update 😅

Just to follow up on what I did, I did also receive the OTA notification on my stock rooted 5.0.1 GPE and tried rather foolishly to try to update. It failed as expected but left the update.zip file in the /cache directory. Since I was rooted, I copied it out to my host PC.

I then used the SuperSU to unroot itself before booting into recovery mode. Selected the option to sideload, and used the host PC connected via USB to sideload the update.zip file. It appeared to patch all the files with the exception of an error at the end indicating some issue mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p37 to /data to copy a file called fotaboot.

After that, I cleared the cache, and booted up. Seems to be working fine so far after the initial rebuilding of the apps.

My only concern now is whether if the OTA script upgraded the firmware given the error above since it's one of the last thing it does (looking at the META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script). Is there any way to check if the firmware (boot, radio, hboot, recovery) has the correct versions?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread