[GUIDE] [HOW TO] unbrick your phone due to DATA folder corruption.

Search This thread

ZhenMing

Believe or not, I had soft brick for the 3rd time and just get it resolved a moment ago. It was due to the data folder corruption. The last 2 times I tried this way and manage to resolve it and revived my precious in no time. But I lost all my data in the internal storage. So, you are warn if you choose to follow the steps below:

Pre-Requisites:
  • Download the official Samsung firmware from SamFirmware.com for your tablet model (P6800/6810).
  • Download the Odin3 1.85

Unbrick Part #1:

1. Press and hold down the Volume Down key and Power button together to reboot your device to ‘download mode’.
  2. Press volume up key to continue.
  3. Attach the USB cable to your tablet and your computer.
  4. Unzip the Odin SW and samsung firmware to the same folder.
  5. Launch the “Odin3 1.85 exe” on your PC. It will recognize your tablet and automatically the ID:COM port on the top left will turn yellow showing that the drivers of your tablet have been effectively installed.
  6. Select PDA button and the .tar file.
  7. Make sure ONLY the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes are tick.
  8. Click on start button and the flashing the firmware to your tablet.
  9. CAUTION!!! DO NOT TURN OFF THE TABLET OR PULL OUT THE CABLE!!!
  10. Once the completed, the tablet will reboot itself.

Unbrick Part #2:
  1. Press and hold down the Volume UP key and Power button together to reboot your device to stock recovery mode.
  2. WARNING!!! THE NEXT STEP WILL DELETE ALL YOUR INTERNAL DATA!!!
  3. Select "wipe data/factory reset"
  4. Once completed, you could restart the tablet.

If you take note on the factory reset process, you will see a step where it will format the Data folder. This is the main cure where it will solve the soft brick problem.

The tablet should work by booting back to the default firmware desktop. If you interested to root your tablet and flash with custom ROM, just follow the link here.

Enjoy your fresh new mighty Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 again.

Last edited:

bruce16878

Aug 31, 2012
Not to bust your bubble just sharing my experience with the brickbugs, my tablet went completely bricked the 4th time, all previous 3 times still able to revive from the bootloops. The symptom it's seem that as if there are bad sector on the memory and the tablet simply crash and reboot by itself once it attempt to red/write that memory without any warning.
In the end, my mainboard was replaced by samsung service centre but luckily it is still under warranty.

Last edited:

ZhenMing

Not to bust your bubble just sharing my experience with the brickbugs, my tablet went completely bricked the 4th time, all previous 3 times still able to revive from the bootloops. The symptom it's seem that as if there are bad sector on the memory and the tablet simply crash and reboot by itself once it attempt to red/write that memory without any warning.
In the end, my mainboard was replaced by samsung service centre but luckily it is still under warranty.

If that's the case, I can't do anything but send to Samsung for repair... just hope for no more next time for me...

BTW, after the replacement, do you face it again?

Steve_max

Nov 20, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
This actually doesn't fix the brickbug, just regular bricks. The brickbug is a hardware problem that exists in our eMMC chips, which is triggered by a secure erase. After it's triggered, parts of your eMMC are just broken, gone for good. The best you can do is to try to shrink and move the partitions around, to avoid those broken parts.

I'm following the brickbug since it first appeared on a RC version of Siyah Kernel for the Galaxy SII, when the developer used the (then newer) sources for the Korean version of the phone as a base. Those were amons the first Samsung kernel bases to include the dreaded bug, so people who flashed the kernel bricked their phones all around. I had flashed it, but wasn't hit by the bug (because I don't wipe the cache after installing a kernel). I've seen people do everything, INCLUDING Odin back to stock + various wipes. It doesn't work.

This probably works if you get your ROM to an unbootable state and brick your phone/tablet. But it won't help at all if you're hit by the actual brickbug: Odin won't be able to flash the affected partitions, and your tablet will remain unbootable, no matter what you do (in some cases, you won't even get to enter recovery). For the brickbug, only following something similar to Androguide.fr's guide or sending it to repair will help.

ZhenMing

This actually doesn't fix the brickbug, just regular bricks. The brickbug is a hardware problem that exists in our eMMC chips, which is triggered by a secure erase. After it's triggered, parts of your eMMC are just broken, gone for good. The best you can do is to try to shrink and move the partitions around, to avoid those broken parts.

I'm following the brickbug since it first appeared on a RC version of Siyah Kernel for the Galaxy SII, when the developer used the (then newer) sources for the Korean version of the phone as a base. Those were amons the first Samsung kernel bases to include the dreaded bug, so people who flashed the kernel bricked their phones all around. I had flashed it, but wasn't hit by the bug (because I don't wipe the cache after installing a kernel). I've seen people do everything, INCLUDING Odin back to stock + various wipes. It doesn't work.

This probably works if you get your ROM to an unbootable state and brick your phone/tablet. But it won't help at all if you're hit by the actual brickbug: Odin won't be able to flash the affected partitions, and your tablet will remain unbootable, no matter what you do (in some cases, you won't even get to enter recovery). For the brickbug, only following something similar to Androguide.fr's guide or sending it to repair will help.

Really? Then it is my mistake to declare it that way. But could anyone tell me why this happen to me so frequent and what causing it?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda app-developers app

dfreake

Mar 15, 2012
i got stuck on odin with"cahce.img" all the time what should i doand my tab stuckvon samsung tab 7.7 logo

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda app-developers app

Sexxmax

Aug 2, 2003
Thanks for the guide but somehting is not working for me. Odin doesn´t flash the firmware.
This is what i get

> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9100JPLPF_I9100OJPLPC_I9100XXLPX_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

Any clue?

ZhenMing

Thanks for the guide but somehting is not working for me. Odin doesn´t flash the firmware.
This is what i get

> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..

Any clue?

Are you using I9100 or P6800? I only tested P6800 with the firmware downloaded from Samfirmware ..

Reactions: jenseth11

helpermonkey

Jan 16, 2011
hi there,
Is there a versoin of this guide for the verizon sch-i815 tab? My firmware is not on that site. I have not super bricked my device as it still responds when i plug it into a charger and when i do power + down button, i get odin mode. I found some instructions on how to use heimdall, but that comes with a SCH-I800_Verizon_Stock.tar.gz file and when i run heimdall i get:

Local and device PIT files don't match and repartition wasn't specified!
ERROR: Flash aborted!
Ending session...
Rebooting device...

Any advice would be appreciated

anbo2015

Feb 22, 2016
plz help

i tried to install custom rom cyanogemod 12.0 on my tablet gt-p6800 sth went wrong and it stuck on the recovery mode and when it reboots it goes to recovery mode , i was able to get it on download mode and followed these steps but at the finale this happens it says fail to the operation in the odin program

12745965_10153792152021001_5432214064445099741_n.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Believe or not, I had soft brick for the 3rd time and just get it resolved a moment ago. It was due to the data folder corruption. The last 2 times I tried this way and manage to resolve it and revived my precious in no time. But I lost all my data in the internal storage. So, you are warn if you choose to follow the steps below:

Pre-Requisites:
    • Download the official Samsung firmware from SamFirmware.com for your tablet model (P6800/6810).
    • Download the Odin3 1.85

Unbrick Part #1:

1. Press and hold down the Volume Down key and Power button together to reboot your device to ‘download mode’.
    2. Press volume up key to continue.
    3. Attach the USB cable to your tablet and your computer.
    4. Unzip the Odin SW and samsung firmware to the same folder.
    5. Launch the “Odin3 1.85 exe” on your PC. It will recognize your tablet and automatically the ID:COM port on the top left will turn yellow showing that the drivers of your tablet have been effectively installed.
    6. Select PDA button and the .tar file.
    7. Make sure ONLY the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes are tick.
    8. Click on start button and the flashing the firmware to your tablet.
    9. CAUTION!!! DO NOT TURN OFF THE TABLET OR PULL OUT THE CABLE!!!
    10. Once the completed, the tablet will reboot itself.

Unbrick Part #2:
    1. Press and hold down the Volume UP key and Power button together to reboot your device to stock recovery mode.
    2. WARNING!!! THE NEXT STEP WILL DELETE ALL YOUR INTERNAL DATA!!!
    3. Select "wipe data/factory reset"
    4. Once completed, you could restart the tablet.

If you take note on the factory reset process, you will see a step where it will format the Data folder. This is the main cure where it will solve the soft brick problem.

The tablet should work by booting back to the default firmware desktop. If you interested to root your tablet and flash with custom ROM, just follow the link here.

Enjoy your fresh new mighty Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 again.
    This is what i get

> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..

Any clue?

Are you using I9100 or P6800? I only tested P6800 with the firmware downloaded from Samfirmware ..