[ROM][Official][Discontinued] Ubuntu for phones (aka Ubuntu Touch)

Search This thread

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de

For sure. :)

Today the desktop and server versions of Ubuntu 15.04 (aka Vivid Vervet) have been released. The team is now looking into basing the stable phone images on the vivid sources.
Moreover, there has been some announcements regarding convergence. Ubuntu is getting closer to running the same OS on all platforms.
First of all, there will be work done on the Ubuntu UI Toolkit in the next release cycle to make Ubuntu SDK apps perform better on Ubuntu Desktop. The devel-proposed images already ship with a new application header.
Furthermore, it was announced that all versions of Ubuntu (phone, desktop and server!) will soon be based on the new "Snappy" application format. That will make the different versions of Ubuntu be even more alike!

Exciting times are ahead for Ubuntu but please keep in mind that it will take some time until these things land in the images. ;)

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
@Mirkoitalia If you are new to Ubuntu (and especially if you are using MultiROM), it's best to install the stable builds.
These will be based on the current devel-proposed channel very soon by the way. ;)

Sent from my awesome Ubuntu Touch device using the Forum Browser app

UbuntuSpain

Apr 13, 2015
stable is better right now. Never use devel as it's outdated (however, that will change soon). If you want daily development builds, choose devel-proposed.

They have plenty of them in the company. While we don't know how long they will continue to support it, I wouldn't expect them to drop support too soon as it would mean buying new hardware for them.
However, don't blame me if they do one day!

Both have advantages.

The Aquaris device comes with some scopes which aren't available on the Nexus 4 yet (Today, News, Nearby, etc.), while the Nexus 4 has better specs.

Btw, there's no native turn-by-turn navigation app on any phone yet. You'd have to use websites/webapps to do that. (HERE is just used to get more precise location data.)
Regarding dropping support, check my statement above.

Thanks a lot of nikwen

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
The name of the next Ubuntu version (Ubuntu 15.10) was announced today! It's "wily werewolf". :cowboy:
Check out the corresponding blog post for some w-fun.

Moreover, the Ubuntu Online Summit is about to start tomorrow. Three days of sessions for developers, designers, advocates, users and all members of the community. If you're interested in shaping Ubuntu's future, make sure to attend!

Today there has already been the keynote by Mark Shuttleworth, the founder of the Ubuntu project, during which he talks about Ubuntu's future as a converged OS!

adityak28

May 1, 2011
Bangalore
I will be trying out Ubuntu Touch today. Just wanted to check on the availability of a reddit client and whatsapp. I'm pretty sure whatsapp will not be there but is there any 3rd party client? Also, I will be installing this via multirom. How would I go about accessing the music/MP3s that is on my phone? Will I need to mount some partition?

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
@adityak28 Yes, there's a very good Reddit client out there called uReadit which is developed by @mhall119.
You won't be able to find Whatsapp clients though as Whatsapp has recently started banning all users who use 3rd party apps.
When installing, make sure to install the stable instead of the devel channel that MultiROM defaults to.
Mounting your Android data is possible and there is a tutorial in the Ubuntu forums here on XDA. You'll find that one. ;)

adityak28

May 1, 2011
Bangalore
Thanks @nikwen. I have installed the reddit client you mentioned and also your forum browser app ;)

I'm quite impressed by Ubuntu touch. I wish this one really takes off. Getting major app developers to implement their apps will be crucial to the success of Ubuntu touch. Here's wishing canonical the very best. Hope they repeat the success that they had on the desktops and servers on the phones too.

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
Thanks @nikwen. I have installed the reddit client you mentioned and also your forum browser app ;)

I'm quite impressed by Ubuntu touch. I wish this one really takes off. Getting major app developers to implement their apps will be crucial to the success of Ubuntu touch. Here's wishing canonical the very best. Hope they repeat the success that they had on the desktops and servers on the phones too.

I'm glad you like it. It would indeed be very nice to see some popular Android or iOS apps being ported to Ubuntu.
Yet, I don't miss too many apps, though. It probably depends on what one uses his phone for. ;)

fishears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2010
github.com
I'm back trying UT on my N4 after a while away from it. First of all, I installed from Stable using Multirom and About Phone says I'm on 14.10 (r19) - is this the build that's recommended? I've got the today scope installed and that's a great alternative to Google Now for me. I was hoping to see HERE after being asked to agree to the terms but I gather that navigation is on the way soon. Anyway, can someone please let me know if Gmail notifications are working for them? I've added my accounts and enabled gmail sync and also signed in to the gmail app but I don't get notified about new mail... I'm also using Dekko but that doesn't seem to support notification yet. Oh, and I've got @nikwen s great forum app ;)
Thank you

benbugohit

I'm back trying UT on my N4 after a while away from it. First of all, I installed from Stable using Multirom and About Phone says I'm on 14.10 (r19) - is this the build that's recommended? I've got the today scope installed and that's a great alternative to Google Now for me. I was hoping to see HERE after being asked to agree to the terms but I gather that navigation is on the way soon. Anyway, can someone please let me know if Gmail notifications are working for them? I've added my accounts and enabled gmail sync and also signed in to the gmail app but I don't get notified about new mail... I'm also using Dekko but that doesn't seem to support notification yet. Oh, and I've got @nikwen s great forum app ;)
Thank you

gmail sync (calendar, gmail) was not fully working for me too, but i didn't test it since 3 weeks,
because of my broken screen.
As i replaced it yesterday, i'll have another try today, having my google account no more set up with "2 way authentication".

Reactions: fishears

prithvic

Oct 21, 2014
Mυмвαι
Redmi K20 Pro
Tried installing Ubuntu touch through MultiROM,
Installs successfully but when I select Unubtu from MultiROM I only see a black screen & if I set autoboot to only ubuntu, I am stuck on the Google logo & black screen loop.
I read the previous post but didn't find a workaround from them.
Tried builds from the stable channel 19 & devel-proposed-customised-here 194. The latter one was default in MultiROM
both the builds gave same results.

Primary ROM: Exodus (Lollipop 5.0.2)
Kernel: HellsDoctor (supports kexec patch)

Last edited:

spider623

Jan 31, 2011
Limassol
Tried installing Ubuntu touch through MultiROM,
Installs successfully but when I select Unubtu from MultiROM I only see a black screen & if I set autoboot to only ubuntu, I am stuck on the Google logo & black screen loop.
I read the previous post but didn't find a workaround from them.
Tried builds from the stable channel 19 & devel-proposed-customised-here 194. The latter one was default in MultiROM
both the builds gave same results.

Primary ROM: Exodus (Lollipop 5.0.2)
Kernel: HellsDoctor (supports kexec patch)
it takes some time to boot the 1st time

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
Thank you

Hi! It's great to have you back! :)

To answer your questions: Yes, you're on the most recent stable build. The stable channel will switch to vivid(15.04)-based builds at the beginning of June. Until then, the stable builds still use a 14.10 base (but with plenty of additions).
Gmail notifications have indeed been a big problem in the past. A few months ago, I started fixing multiple bugs in three notification-related projects and today the last patch (for now :D) was merged. Most of them are in devel-proposed already but they should also be in the stable builds once the vivid switch is done. For now, you can get working notifications by switching to devel-proposed. However, as I said, waiting a few days/weeks should resolve it as well. ;)
The reason why Dekko itself doesn't support email notifications is that on Ubuntu (for phones) apps are not allowed to run any background services. That's why Dekko cannot check for new emails when it's in the background. The clear advantage here is battery life though.

Oh, and thanks for giving Forum Browser a shot. :)

Reactions: fishears

fishears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2010
github.com
Thanks for the encouraging reply. Funnily enough I got a notification from gmail today so it must work sometimes... Is there a quick way to switch to devel proposed if I'm running it as a secondary rom? Id rather not have to set it all up again.
Things have really improved in UT since I was here last.

Sent from my N4 using the Forum Browser app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM][Official][Nightlies][Dual Boot] Ubuntu Touch 14.10 (Utopic Unico)

This is the original, though very outdated, OP. For actual instructions please use the new OP.

"Touch Developer for Ubuntu" is released for free non-commercial use. It is provided without warranty, even the implied warranty of merchantability, satisfaction or fitness for a particular use. See the licence included with each program for details.

Some licences may grant additional rights; this notice shall not limit your rights under each program's licence. Licences for each program
    are available in the usr/share/doc directory. Source code for Ubuntu can be downloaded from archive.ubuntu.com. Ubuntu, the Ubuntu logo
    and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

"Touch Preview for Ubuntu" is released for limited use due to the inclusion of binary hardware support files. The original components
    and licenses can be found at:https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.

ubuntu_the_human_touch.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS TO FLASH VIA TWRP or CWM:

MOD EDIT: removed as the instructions are outdated

Download Link:
    Armel + Mako http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled

Touch armhf http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled

Dual Boot Installation Guide:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/DualBootInstallation

State of things
    spreadsheet here:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArLs7UPtu-hJdDZDNWliMmV1YUJ3Zk1pQlpDdGp4VFE&usp=sharing

HOW TO GET BACK TO ANDROID:

Easy as flashing a rom... Just go back into recovery & flash as usual... works perfectly...

ubuntu-lead-1.jpg

UbuntuOS.jpg
    let's stop all this shade up here and remember there's only 1 more week untill 1.0 release :fingers-crossed:
    --
    Imma changelog build 20131008.2/ in a few ;) and btw I'll also try to do this thing here to sync google contacts with UT, wish me luck :mad: http://not-a-hunch.tumblr.com/post/62061315813/how-to-sync-google-contacts-to-ubuntu-touch
    ---
    changelog for build 20131008.2/
    longer boot time
    bug: gallery shorcut on camera app not working: fixed
    new: animation when gallery updates
    bug: infinite scrolling on Application section: fixed!
    new apps available for download/installation
    new: there's an app to import google contacts now
    bug: apparently the keyboard is now typing in real time
    bug: don't get your hopes up, "Google Contacts Import" doesn't work
    new: the quality of the apps are really improving and getting more advanced and usefull, not that "made by a kid" thing
    bug: power button not working on first boot: still not fixed
    ----I attached some photos I've taken from UT to who wanna see how it's looking---
    Welcome Screen -- Applications section -- Music section -- Home section -- Settings app
    build 20131003.1/
    -new standalone app for ota updates called "update manager" apparently fully working
    -new icon for update manager app
    -laggy welcome screen transition: 80% fixed!
    -offline songs no longer show albumarts
    -"Home Scope" is now just home
    -exchanged apps, music and video categories places on "Home" section
    -"popular online" category on Music section now have their actual albumarts
    -more apps available for download/installation
    @rolear8, we won't see whatsapp on Ubuntu Touch so soon, I haven't heard from 'em about porting WA for Ubuntu Touch, some other people are developing another app whatsapp-like tho
    I'm going to changelog build 20131010/ in a few, btw, today's my birthday :angel:
    --------
    changelog build 20131010/
    bug: Google screen taking forever: fixed
    new: minor design changes on Music app
    new: minor design changes on keyboard popups
    new: softer keyboard
    new: various design changes on Twitter app design
    new: landscape mode for Twitter app
    new: faster boot time
    bug: laggy welcome screen: seems to be fixed
    new: design changes on Facebook app
    -----THAT'S ALL-----
    I think this Twitter app is native and no longer webapp, can someone confirm this, please?!
    changelog for build 20131010.2/
    minor bugs fixed!
    power button now works since first boot!!!
    now screen turns off automatically in around 10~15 seconds!!
    caroulsel of songs is "flying" softer
    volume buttons are working, I tested on Music App, but it shows a weird popup message while holding it
    ---THAT'S ALL-----