Vanir / AICP / SOKP [Q/A]- DISCUSSION THREAD

Search This thread

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
Guys I have a stupid question but I'm stuck (Vanir). Before wipe (damaged backup, no return) I had dark theme in contacts and dailer. I remember I did it, but I can't remember how (it was a long time ago). And now it's light and it's annoying... Any hints?

Reactions: #Henkate

dagger

Guys I have a stupid question but I'm stuck (Vanir). Before wipe (damaged backup, no return) I had dark theme in contacts and dailer. I remember I did it, but I can't remember how (it was a long time ago). And now it's light and it's annoying... Any hints?

You might have applied the dark vanir theme from theme chooser.
That theme is pretty dope and looks best with this icon pack ;)

Reactions: #Henkate

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
vanir 2015-05-20

Hi guys!
New build:)
Changes:

- fixed menu button unlock screen issue
- added apns-conf.xml
- added Smart Pulldown from OmniROM
- improved brightness values
- updated binary blobs to I9070XXLQL_I9070ITVLQ5_ITV this causes camera problem,
- double tap on home button switches to previous app
- changed behaviour quicksettings GPS tile - tap can turn location on and then cycles between battery saving and high accuracy modes
- dalvik-cache rebuild is now multithreaded - lasts half the time

REMEMBER - after flashing the rom, flash restore_blobs.zip - I don't see the point for downloading 200mb again to replace 4mb worth of files, but I will make available a fixed version.

Attachments

• vanir_janice-2015-05-20.torrent
    9 KB · Views: 86
  • restore_blobs.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

dagger

So it should "just be there". But after some thought it might be due to ART... but I'm pretty sure it worked before... strange... thankgs anyway

It is not because of ART, I'm pretty much sure of that.
However there are only two things that could make the contacts dark.
1) The Dark mode toggle which is present in many ROMs (but not in vanir)
2) Using a dark theme.( for example inverted/dark vanir which is included by default)

BTW could you cherry pick Pa's peek if possible.
its quite handy.
Cheers. :)

Reactions: mkaluza

nss357

Jan 8, 2014
Google Pixel 4a
@mkaluza this is kinda off-topic, but you used to be a sysadmin right? So do you have some shell scripts collection perhaps? If you do, mind sharing it? I'm kinda collecting many of those, for learning purpose. In fact I've collected many binary for android too, like gnu coreutils, nano, python etc etc. I use my phone to learn all those, especially shell, because it's pretty cool to have full-colors terminal on android.
So right now I'm trying to make a menu-based shell script to change mk kernel settings and stuffs on terminal, trying to put a good use of the things I've learnt. Since I prefer to learn through someone's script, like your function script, I'm collecting many scripts as references. So if you have some, I'll take it :p

TheSteve87

Mar 14, 2014
Hi guys!
Changes:

- added apns-conf.xml
- updated binary blobs to I9070XXLQL_I9070ITVLQ5_ITV
- changed behaviour quicksettings GPS tile - tap can turn location on and then cycles between battery saving and high accuracy modes

i'm going to try it right now, thank you :D i didn't know you were updating vanir for janice, why don't you open a thread in one of the development subforums? you're not very visible here

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
It is not because of ART, I'm pretty much sure of that.
However there are only two things that could make the contacts dark.
1) The Dark mode toggle which is present in many ROMs (but not in vanir)
2) Using a dark theme.( for example inverted/dark vanir which is included by default)
Ha! Thank you ;) I started looking for this Vanir inverted but it wasn't in themes - it turns out it's just a style - after applying it dialer became dark ;)
BTW could you cherry pick Pa's peek if possible.
its quite handy.
Cheers. :)
Not sure what are you talking about...

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

i'm going to try it right now, thank you :D i didn't know you were updating vanir for janice, why don't you open a thread in one of the development subforums? you're not very visible here
I'm not sure if it's thread-worthy. It was supposed to be just a rebuild, so few changes (cm-11 isn't developed anymore), only later I decided to change something here and there and here's the result. I don't intend to develop or maintain it as a day job ;) so unless there's something I need changed, there won't be any more changes. I can merge some fixes or small features if you show them to me, but I don't feel like writing them... So for now that's it, but I'm open to suggestions.

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
@mkaluza this is kinda off-topic, but you used to be a sysadmin right? So do you have some shell scripts collection perhaps? If you do, mind sharing it? I'm kinda collecting many of those, for learning purpose. In fact I've collected many binary for android too, like gnu coreutils, nano, python etc etc. I use my phone to learn all those, especially shell, because it's pretty cool to have full-colors terminal on android.
So right now I'm trying to make a menu-based shell script to change mk kernel settings and stuffs on terminal, trying to put a good use of the things I've learnt. Since I prefer to learn through someone's script, like your function script, I'm collecting many scripts as references. So if you have some, I'll take it :p

Yes I was. But I rarely keep records of shell scripts that I don't use anymore - I write those as I go. The only ones I have are on my github (Init.a repo). But it's good you're learning ;) keep it up ;)

Sent from my GT-I9070 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: nss357

Cyberdog78

Jan 5, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hi guys!
Changes:

- added apns-conf.xml
- updated binary blobs to I9070XXLQL_I9070ITVLQ5_ITV
Torrent?
Mediafire or webhost nothing?

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
Ok, flash the zip that is attached in post 144 - it restores binary blobs. There was nothing wrong with the old ones - I've just updated them "because". I'll post a full fixed download later.

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
Well yeah okay, I pretty much had all those stuffs from your github. Thanks :)

ok, got sth for you.
It's a script that shows how much power can be saved by dereasing cpu voltage by one step. I just wrote it because I was simply curious, but it can be used as an aid in undervolting cpu - simply look at the last column and pick a freq with highest value. Of course skip the lowest freq as the script doesns't take into account the actual cpu load and this is quite lower for the lowest freq (https://github.com/mkaluza/project-zen/wiki/Dynamic-governor-analysis)

Attachments

• power_opt.sh.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: nss357 and #Henkate

nss357

Jan 8, 2014
Google Pixel 4a
ok, got sth for you.
It's a script that shows how much power can be saved by dereasing cpu voltage by one step. I just wrote it because I was simply curious, but it can be used as an aid in undervolting cpu - simply look at the last column and pick a freq with highest value. Of course skip the lowest freq as the script doesns't take into account the actual cpu load and this is quite lower for the lowest freq (https://github.com/mkaluza/project-zen/wiki/Dynamic-governor-analysis)

Ok, thanks! Haven't really read that particular part of your wiki though.

wingryder

Sep 4, 2013
hi,i ws wondering if this is android version 4.4.4 or 4.4.2,im asking because i would like to have the new theme engine in 4.4.4.,and what about the kernel.img included separately in the torrent(i mean what are the added features of the kernel).plz kindly respond as im on limited bandwidth

Last edited:

TheSteve87

Mar 14, 2014
hi,i ws wondering if this is android version 4.4.4 or 4.4.2,im asking because i would like to have the new theme engine in 4.4.4.,and what about the kernel.img included separately in the torrent(i mean what are the added features of the kernel).plz kindly respond as im on limited bandwidth

the version is 4.4.4, that kernel has the zram swap feature for those that knows how to use it and need to use it

Reactions: wingryder

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vanir 2015-05-26

Hi guys!

New build is out :)
    Changelog:
    * restored old binary blobs - camera is working again
    * added Synapse and UKM profiles for LiveOPP voltage and Mali parameters control
    * Switched toolchains: android 4.7 --> 4.8-linaro, kernel: 4.9-linaro
    * Switched thumb mode from -Os to -O3 (by @JustArchi)
    * Added ro.hwui.* parameters optimized for Janice screen size

In progress is the implementation of more compiler optimizations by @JustArchi.. I'm also exploring the LTO and FDO gcc features, but that will definately take a lot of time (but can potentially give up to about 15% speed increase and code size reduction, so it's something worth fighting for)

Enjoy ;)

P.S.
    I hope you realize that my subsequent builds are only about optimization/tuning/facelifting - cm-11.0 branch of both CyanogenMod and Vanir is not updated anymore.
    vanir 2015-05-20

Hi guys!
    Changes:

- added apns-conf.xml
    - updated binary blobs to I9070XXLQL_I9070ITVLQ5_ITV this causes camera problem,

REMEMBER - after flashing the rom, flash restore_blobs.zip - I don't see the point for downloading 200mb again to replace 4mb worth of files, but I will make available a fixed version.
    Hi guys ;)
    I've refreshed my Vanir build and also integrated my modifications (high power torch, mk kernel 5.6.1) with it. It doesn't differ much from last Vanir daily though - most key packages for cm-11 branch aren't developed anymore, so all that might appear are some bugfixes.

As an experiment - I'm sharing it via torrent.

BTW try ART - it's awesome!
    Wow ;) that's quite a review ;) thanks :)
    I am quite happy with this build.

Really love the complete control over hardware keys (I use double tap on home button to switch to the last app, great way for fast multitasking, long press on lockscreen to turn on torch, long press back button to kill app).
    Yes, that's what I like very much about Vanir :)
    Haven't experienced a low in-call volume but call recording is not working and sometimes it takes too long for the screen to turn on when receiving the call (once it took 5-7 seconds and I couldn't answer because the screen just would not turn on).
    I just press home button - usually helps. I just got used to it. Fact of the matter is that I don't know where to even start looking for cause of this :/
    You should consider adding to the /etc folder apns.conf since it is a real pain to set up access points when you know that it can be done automatically if that file is not missing.
    Ok, I'll do it - I didn't wipe the phone so I didn't notice it. If you happen to know where to get a 'recent' one, or even have one, drop it here;)
    And, just a suggestion, it will be nice if someone would redefine levels for better autobrightness control (they are just off to me and I tried to set them manually like I did on many devices but the lux values made no sense to me and the preview "curve" on default levels is just not right).
    Yes, autobrightness sucks, but I couldn't find the code responsible for it. Is it the same on other cm roms, or is it vanir specific (I'm asking because I haven't used any other)?
    In fact the sucking goes deeper than the interface -our light sensor can output as many as 512 different values (in comparison there are only 300 brightness values out of which you can choose only 26 levels), so we could have something like continous autobrightness instead of just 5 levels. But regretably I was not able to find the code :(

I went around it - if you want, I can send you the script and if tests are successful, I'll include it in the next build.
    Also, please consider adding some kind of a file manager in the build.
    No - file manager is a 'personal' thing, there are many different and it's very unlikely that one will suit everyone. It'd only be an unnnecessary junk - if someone needs one, they'll get their favorite one :) Personally I use total commander, which I'm not even sure can be included into rom... I'm more of a less-is-better type ;) If someone wanted a bloated firmware, they would have stayed with samsung ;P
    Final suggestion, you could add an option for the quick settings to automatically show when there are no notifications.
    Would be possible, maybe someday - I don't really need it. I use Quick Pulldown option - requires a bit of getting used to, but after that it's just fine.
    Just to mention, maybe there is sth. wrong with my device since I have this issue on every rom, when my wifi is on, the ratio between deep sleep and awake time when not using the phone is 30% vs 70% (so 70% awake time with screen off and not using a phone at all), but on mobile data is 95% vs 5%. Maybe you will have some insight on this.
    1. What wifi sleep policy have you got selected?
    2. Check the wake locks (I used GSam Battery Monitor)
    3. If wake locks are the problem - were for me - go to settings/security/privacy guard/advanced/device and look for 'keep awake' and disable it. Once I disabled it for google play services, everything went back to normal (it wasn't sleeping at all)
    Oh, and there is no need to call this build "experimental" :)
    'Experimental' is the distribution method ;) My Vanir build is by all means vanilla, stable and not to be experimented upon ;)
    It is quite stable and since you are planning to release bug fixes you should consider opening a new thread.
    Where did I say that? I don't since there aren't any bugs (as in pain-in-the-ass bugs, not inconveniences like youtube in the browser).
    But if any improvements are made, I'll be happy to make another release

Thanks for your time :)
    Yeah, it's just awesome :) I've tried the script from your previous post but my values does not match yours in the table (see the screenshots) and I'm not seeing any difference in the auto brightness behaviour.

It just didn't run. Did you flash the optional kernel or are you running on the one from rom? if not - flash release_noswp (I'm not finished mixing in my changes to init.rc scripts - maybe sth is missing). If this doesn't help (which would be strange), move the script to /system/etc/init.d and report back.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Is there a chance that we could see some lollipop love for vanir? :D
    Not from me - with kk vanir set up the way I have now I simply don't need lollipop _this_ much. Maybe when cm12.1 by hasta is more-less working (on my scale, not yours), I'll give it a try. But I doubt it... SGA is a dying breed... Well... maybe if I have too much free time... just for the sake of it ;) but for now I'm waiting for any L5 distro to be stable on sga - I can port it then... I'm not that determined to do it on my own...