FORUMS

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more

LG G4 First Impressions and Unboxing – XDA TV

The latest in LG’s signature line of “G phones” has been released. … more

Galaxy S6 Weekly Shooting Challenge

Over in our forums this weekend, XDA Forum member DevonSloan has started a thread for talented … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

LectureNotes app

1st May 2015, 11:44 AM |#981  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Text box colours
Hi, just a small point:

I open up a new text box, type some text in and then select it all to amend it in some way. My problem is, the little icon "A" the the bottom left of the text box is the same colour as the highlighted text (blue) and therefore impossible to see. I often accidentally tap on it whilst amending the selected text so I was wondering if the icon could be placed outside the box or given a different colour or even if the four icons in the corner of the text box could be added to a bar at top/bottom or side of the text box? User selects Text box menu bar placement? Hope this makes sense?

Phil

1st May 2015, 05:19 PM |#982  
Thanks Meter: 712

More
@pgibby081965: Clicking on the icon just brings up a popup menu, so that erroneously clicking does not cause much harm, does it?

To place the icons outside the box causes problems when you wish to place the box at the boundary; to place the icons in the action bar could be an option.

You could disable `use translucent icons´ in the app's handling menu, this should increase visibility.
22nd May 2015, 04:44 PM |#983  

More
Editing length of audio file
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadoid

@snir2: You can set LectureNotes' app directory to the external SD card (but there are some things to keep in mind if your device runs Android 4.4 (KITKAT)).

If you cannot stay with `normal´ recording quality, you could record in `high quality´ (which will yield a larger file) and afterwards reencode the result using an audio processing tool (which will yield a smaller file). This would allow to freely adjust audio quality and hence file size.

Thanks for a great app which I now use on a daily basis.

Inadvertantly left the recording running after my meeting (in high quality mode). Is it possible to cut the audio after a period of time or can you recommend a 3gp editor?
22nd May 2015, 08:45 PM |#984  

More
I have a couple of suggestions regarding the PDF annotation feature.

Importing a PDF as a series of pictures seems a horribly space-inefficient
solution. In my opinion PDFs should not imported but the internal
format should be PDF. The idea is to use the un-altered text layer
(space-efficient because text is stored as text and rendering in
vector graphics SVG is preserved) and then in addition store the annotations
in an image layer in the same PDF file. This would also solve the problem
that the annotations are sprinkled around the system in several meta-data
but are not there where they belong -> in the annotated PDF file.

If this was implemented as suggested your app would approach perfection.
Thanks for all your effort thus far!

PS: Sorry, I am a long-running UNIX user and I think the suggested would
be the cleanest design. Please tell me if it's impossible because of the PDF
file format specification. I don't know exactly if several layers of different
content could be embedded in a PDF file.
Last edited by Klagundi; 22nd May 2015 at 08:50 PM.
Yesterday, 12:07 PM |#985  
Thanks Meter: 712

More
@Wingator: LectureRecordings does not provide audio editing, but there are numerous tools available, search for instance for `audio editor´ in your favorite app store.

@Klagundi: LectureNotes is a handwriting app which, among many other features, also allows to import PDF files. The PDF import is intended to import, for instance, a drawing available as PDF file into a LectureNotes' notebook. The PDF import also allows to import a multi-page PDF file and annotate it, but this is not what LectureNotes is meant for.

In any case: Why not just handle PDF files directly? That is certainly a fair question to ask.

PDF is a very complicated format, the reference manual is a book of almost 750 pages (see http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html at the bottom in case you wish to have a look). A PDF handling library is not something that one can code on a rainy afternoon, it takes several person-years (if not several person-decades) to create a PDF handling library.

In case you wish to annotate PDF keeping the PDF file intact, you need to use a PDF viewer app.
Yesterday, 12:15 PM |#986  

More
Thanks, I understand the difficulty of creating a PDF handling library.

Incidentally then, I wish to use LectureNotes in tandem with a PDF annotation application.
Could you (or the community) suggest the best such app? My criteria are

a) Free-hand annotation possible on the PDF
b) Annotation stored in separate layer (allowing to erase just the
annotation not the text)
c) Annotation embedded in the PDF itself, allowing for an easy
backup workflow.
d) Original PDF is not touched at all, remains searchable, stored as
text and vector graphics format.
e) Efficient dealing with large textbooks (>= 1000 pages)

Is there such an app? Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread