FORUMS

Samsung Galaxy S6 To Receive Major Camera Update

When the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge were launched, they became the prime focus for … more

Tactile: An Addicting Game with Beautiful Material Design

The game industry has been around for decades, catering to a wide … more

Android’s Consistency and The User Experience

This is a site of power users, and it is fair to say that most of us are more … more

Which Manufacturer (And Device) Made You Choose Android?

The beautiful thing about Android is that there is so much to choose from. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[ROM][AOSP] - Android 5.1 - Beta 1

20th May 2015, 12:32 PM |#551  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
After two weeks of use, the experience was smooth and very responsive, seems no big issue.

But I have a little problem and don't know if this only happens to me. When I put my phone into my pocket, sometimes the screen is turned on by itself(or something wrong with the power button?).

With no screen lock enabled, the phone receive false input from the screen in my pocket and dial to someone through the quick unlock to phone app...

And also i couldn't wake the phone up in the morning if I set the minimum CPU freq to 192 MHz at night...

20th May 2015, 11:56 PM |#552  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 97

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehk

After two weeks of use, the experience was smooth and very responsive, seems no big issue.

But I have a little problem and don't know if this only happens to me. When I put my phone into my pocket, sometimes the screen is turned on by itself(or something wrong with the power button?).

With no screen lock enabled, the phone receive false input from the screen in my pocket and dial to someone through the quick unlock to phone app...

And also i couldn't wake the phone up in the morning if I set the minimum CPU freq to 192 MHz at night...

I'm seeing the same ... smooth, responsive, and most everything is working for me. Some applications are having issues - but that is probably due to 5.1 issues than anything else.

I've noticed the same issue, but different. I'm still experiencing (semi) random restarts of the device. It is almost as if the power button is being scanned as "down", forcing a restart. A similar effect to your power-on issue.

There is a "wake device when you pick up device or receive notifications" option in the Settings > Display menu. You may also have this enabled. However, I've found that when a notification is received, the device still does not wake the display, even with the option enabled. There may be some (minor) issue in the wake/power/standby/reset handling.

I've given up on the frequency scaling. I don't use my phone much during the day, but when I do need to use my phone I need it to be immediately available. I've changed the governor on my phone to "performance", and keep the CPU running at maximum (normal) frequency of 1.5GHz. This has made everything "perfectly" responsive, and I've had no issues. As far as the battery life goes, I do believe it to have been affected, but not by a large amount. I can easily make it through an entire day without charge, and still have 50% or more left at end of day. You may want to try/experiment with that yourself and see if it's better for your needs.
22nd May 2015, 04:26 PM |#553  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Why no screenshots for this build.?
22nd May 2015, 11:21 PM |#554  
Flag Auckland

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechip850

Do you really need to see more than what is available on the first post?
Only the version and kernel information have changed in the latest release.
How about the screencap from BPaul's twitter feed of the latest release?
Or where this very image is mentioned in the forum: only 26 posts prior to yours?
The changelog and updates are the most important things to take note of for this ROM.

This isn't a "how much stuff can be packed into it to make it l33t" ROM.
It's AOSP, and I for one am very, very pleased it is that way. (Thanks BPaul).

The information you seek has already been posted.
Search is your friend. Use it. Use it often.

Apologies for the tone, but the ROM details are patently obvious from the thread title -- [ROM][AOSP] - Android 5.1
Your comment is quite out of place when the information is already there, especially from someone who has posted on XDA as much as you have.
23rd May 2015, 06:40 AM |#555  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechip850

hold (power button + volume down) together... u will get screenshot
23rd May 2015, 10:22 AM |#556  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
there is no sound come out from my hh after install this rom, only vibrate
what could be possibly wrong?
23rd May 2015, 08:06 PM |#557  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This ROM has been very smooth so far, but I'm also having problems with random touches on emergency caller while locked and some unexpected reboots.
Is anyone using Link2SD? I have experienced many times in which the phone says the SD was disconnected and my linked apps stop working until reboot, btw I´m using a genuine SanDisk 32GB class 10 from Best Buy.
24th May 2015, 01:17 AM |#558  
Flag Auckland

Donate to Me
More
Prompt ROM issues (5.1.1 beta) ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensaionji

there is no sound come out from my hh after install this rom, only vibrate
what could be possibly wrong?

I've had the sound stop (lockup?) once myself. For some reason there were no notification alerts, or message arrival sounds - although a phone call did ring the phone. Very strange. A power off/on solved the issue ... but that's a drastic solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariovp

This ROM has been very smooth so far, but I'm also having problems with random touches on emergency caller while locked and some unexpected reboots.
Is anyone using Link2SD? I have experienced many times in which the phone says the SD was disconnected and my linked apps stop working until reboot, btw I´m using a genuine SanDisk 32GB class 10 from Best Buy.

It's been very smooth for me too ... although I had the occasional touch issue as well - delayed, or no response at all to a touch - but not accidental touches. I've (mostly) solved this "irritation" by putting the governor into "performance" mode which keeps the CPU running at full speed all the time (i.e. in a "race to idle" condition - get everything done as fast as possible, and then sit in a (lower power) idle loop). While this isn't as good as slowing down the CPU, it works quite well. Lollipop has a lot more overhead, which our devices were not designed for ... so adding some more "oomph" to the CPU/processing can't hurt. Battery drain hasn't been noticeable, it lasts for the whole day for how I use it - so I'm going to continue using my phone in this way.

A few posts earlier I also noted random reboots. These are still continuing - and they appear to happen when I attempt to use the phone again (i.e. wake-up from movement, screen comes on, phone locks up, and then reboots - leaving me watching the boot animation until it fully boots and I can use the phone). @BPaul - I'm not sure which/where/what logfile which might help you figure this out - Please let me know what I could get for you the next time this occurs?

I have also had the SD Card unmount once on me - At the time I assumed it was from a physical issue (phone was bumped?), but if others are having this issue - possibly not. Attempting to remount the sdcard would not work. Again a power off/on resolved it.

I have also had the 3G network lock-up and become unresponsive. The 3G network itself was fine, as I had my Nexus 7 tablet with me, and it still had full 3G connectivity. Switching Airplane mode on/off did not resolve this - only a power off/on sorted it in the end. Worked immediately fine once it restarted.

There have also been a few issues with WiFi <-> 3G handoff for VoIP services ... such that the VoIP app is unable to detect the network switch - locking up, and requiring a stop/start in order to work again. This issue is not happening in my Nexus 7 tablet (same OS/version/app). I'm now carrying the tablet around with me for the VoIP connectivity, but I'd rather just be using the phone if I could.

@BPaul: Thank you for the time you've invested in making this AOSP ROM. I'm amazed that it's available, and truly appreciate the work you've put into this. Please let me know how I can help you resolve some of the remaining issues (logfiles, tracing, testing, etc.) in this beta release. While power off/on appears to resolve all of the issues, it's not the best solution. Since it is a reset operation which fixes things - it must be down to subtle interaction issues (flags not resetting, resources not released, files/device handles not closed) which is causing the problems. Let me know what I can provide you with to assist you in debugging. I'd like to help you make this ROM 100% solid!

Cheers,
Tuatara.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuatara For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread