General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Now I'd like to change my phone. Because the samsung device I using is so slow and crashed many times. But I'm not sure which to choose, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s? Or others?

Wrong forum to ask this question. But if you're set on iCrap, wait for the 6s. Should be around September, or October when the lines outside shorten. Rumor is the 6s/6s+ will have 2GB RAM instead of 1, but who knows if this will even matter since iOS doesn't support proper multi-tasking anyway. Maybe they'll even bump the MP of the cameras to something that isn't 5 years old. Or whatever incremental improvements they'll institute over the current model because iSheep will happily re-spend their money on minor improvements that Apple could easily have made in older devices but held back on because they know iDiots will gobble up the offal they're fed.

robertblekman

May 19, 2015
Ofcoirse the one plus one. Outstanding features for the price range a beautiful phone woth a 5+" screen. I dont know the exact inches of the screen but it is far big enough.
I would say buy the one plus one
:):thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA mobile app

Tarts5

Mar 1, 2013
Hey guys, what would you get in these price categories:

Phone for MAX 300EUR (Thats means LG G2 for example in Estonia)
Phone for MAX 180EUR (Thats means Xiaomi Redmi 2 for example in Estonia)

Specs:
-max size about 140x72x10mm
-decent battery
-bang for buck, pure performance over "neat" features

surfmadpig

Feb 21, 2012
I currently have a Samsung galaxy s4 mini, but it's about to die. I'm looking for recommendations for a new phone.

Specs I'm after in order of importance:
  • Battery life
  • Fast (at least 1,8 GHz processor)
  • Small height and design (5 inch screen max, ideally less)
  • LED notification light
  • Ideally, reliable custom ROMs.
  • Ideally, replaceable battery.

Other specs are not important.

Please help me out - the web hasn't been helpful, as most reviews and comparisons set other priorities than my own.

Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

I currently have a Samsung galaxy s4 mini, but it's about to die. I'm looking for recommendations for a new phone.

• Battery life
  • LED notification light

Please help me out - the web hasn't been helpful, as most reviews and comparisons set other priorities than my own.

The OnePlus One is everything you're looking for, except the screen is a half inch too long (5.5"). I don't know how much half an inch matters to you, though...

fBx

Aug 3, 2008
Cheap phone as a backup

Hi there,
so recently my One M8 had to be repaired and I was stuck for days with an unbelievably slow xperia active from a friend. I thought, well if any day I could need a replacement phone, as backup say for parties of just when I don't want to take the M8, what would I get? I would like it to be around iphone-4-size and easy to unlock and flash with cyanogenmod resp. still updated with new cyanogenmod versions. It should just run somewhat fluently and have a bit internal storage for the most important apps. What would you recommend?
First thing that came to my mind was a used galaxy s2. still a bit too expensive for my needs.

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ

• Battery life
  • LED notification light

Full size S4 fits the bill. It's a bit aged, but still capable, and much better than the S4 Mini. Lots of both custom AOSP and customized TouchWiz ROMs available. If you can live without NFC, pop in a Zerolemon 3000mAh battery for 15% more juice than the stock 2600mAh battery.

surfmadpig

Feb 21, 2012
The OnePlus One is everything you're looking for, except the screen is a half inch too long (5.5"). I don't know how much half an inch matters to you, though...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Half an inch matters a lot, I'm afraid.
I guess my post wasn't clear enough: 5 inches is already a compromise. I'd ideally want no more than 4.5". I just know there aren't many good small phones out there to choose from. :rolleyes:

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Now I'd like to change my phone. Because the samsung device I using is so slow and crashed many times. But I'm not sure which to choose, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s? Or others?

Which do YOU like more? iPhone or Android? Test the devices at the Tech-Shops.

But if you're ready to pay for 6s wit Force-Touch, why not?

Which Device do you have? Maybe Upgrading to a newer Samsung is OK?

Ofcoirse the one plus one. Outstanding features for the price range a beautiful phone woth a 5+" screen. I dont know the exact inches of the screen but it is far big enough.
I would say buy the one plus one
:):thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA mobile app
Who are you talking to? Please quote or type @username, if you want somebody to read your Post.

I currently have a Samsung galaxy S4 mini, but it's about to die. I'm looking for recommendations for a new phone.

• Battery life
  • LED notification light

Wow, you mentioned many specifications. Higher sucess rate in this thread for you.

Maybe your S4 Mini just died because of the bogus Android KitKat?

The best thing that comes to my mind, is the normal Galaxy S4.
* 1.9 GHz Quad Core (2,3 GHz in GT-i9506)
* 16/32 GB Internal Storage (i recommend 32 GB.)
* Replacable Battery
* TouchWiz UI as known from S4 Mini
* LED-Notification Light in RGB-Colours (Colours can be Mixed up.)
* Do not Upgrade to KitKat (bogus) or Lollypop (Ugly UI)

How much do you want to pay?

Dexcellium

May 5, 2013
Nice
Hello guys , well as the topic says I would like to buy a phone.
So the specs are a bit complicated :
3-4 GB of ram
At least 32gb ROM
A good Qualcomm which doesn't have heating problem or a very good mediatek
And a very good battery life .
Also only Chinese brands ( except meizu, miui , elephone jyayu )
Budget : 500 dollars max
Smart phones that I'm interested :
Huawei honor 6+ ( battery life is good though ? ) , or the IUNI U3

If somebody finds something good ( because yes since 2 weeks I browse every Chinese brand ) I would be eternally grateful.

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Hello guys , well as the topic says I would like to buy a phone.
3-4 GB of ram
At least 32gb ROM
A good Qualcomm which doesn't have heating problem or a very good mediatek
And a very good battery life .
Also only Chinese brands ( except meizu, miui , elephone jyayu )
Budget : 500 dollars max
Smart phones that I'm interested :
Huawei honor 6+ ( battery life is good though ? ) , or the IUNI U3

If somebody finds something good ( because yes since 2 weeks I browse every Chinese brand ) I would be eternally grateful.

It's actually better to post more Complicated Specifications here...⁖ :)

Oppo is also Chinese.
The Oppo Find 7 is good for you, i think.
  • 3 GB RAM
  • High Processing Power
  • Pretty Camera
  • Chinese
  • Multilingual Support
  • 5.5 Inch 1440p-Screen

Dexcellium

May 5, 2013
Nice
It's actually better to post more Complicated Specifications here...⁖ :)

Oppo is also Chinese.
The Oppo Find 7 is good for you, i think.
  • 3 GB RAM
  • High Processing Power
  • Pretty Camera
  • Chinese
  • Multilingual Support
  • 5.5 Inch 1440p-Screen

Thanks for your suggestion, but the Oppo I saw like tons of tests where the battery life was a big negative point, like on my Meizu MX3 :D ( which can last 5 hours on video playback for ex)

And the complicated part here, it's just to find a powerful smartphone with a very good battery life, that's the problem :(

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Thanks for your suggestion, but the Oppo I saw like tons of tests where the battery life was a big negative point, like on my Meizu MX3 :D ( which can last 5 hours on video playback for ex)

And the complicated part here, it's just to find a powerful smartphone with a very good battery life, that's the problem :(

Well, my knowledge tells me, that the Battery Runtime is actually very good.
Look at your preferred Phones on GSMArena If you want, also read some reviews.

Oppo's Battery also charges extremely fast... :)

JimmyRay

Jul 4, 2014
Hamamatsu
Upgrade from Xperia Ray: Xperia Z3 Compact, or something else?

Hello folks,

I am considering upgrading from my 2011 Xperia Ray to a more modern (i.e. powerful) phone, while retaining a small form factory.
I am currently using mikeioannina's LegaxyXperia (alternating between CM11 and CM12.1) and am amazed that this old device is able to run the latest OS.

I love the small, compact size of the Ray, but the 2011-era single core CPU is showing its age.
If Sony released an Xperia Ray 2 with updated specs and a slightly larger display, I would probably buy it tomorrow.
However, this seems unlikely to happen, so I believe the closest I can get to a modern phone within a relatively small size is the Z3 Compact.

However, perhaps there is something else out there (a little smaller?), still with reasonably good specs?
A few Chinese phones have caught my eye, however they typically run stock Android 4.4. Having used CM11/CM12.1, I feel I would many of the features of AOSP, so would also like an active rom development community - this is one of the positives of the Sony phones.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

ssar23

Dec 14, 2010
Hi,

Some interesting and helpful info in this and other XDA Android phone threads, thanks to all the contributors!

My own old faithful rooted SGS GT-I9000 has been struggling for years now, but still going ok!
(Rom Kitchen Hardcore@speedmod kernel, LauncherPro, custom ROM installed Feb 2012)

One of the best features we've enjoyed is the Navigon GPS driving navigation it uses.
Haven't really used google maps directions navigation much, I guess it's ok?
I'm hoping whatever navigation app may come with a new non-Samsung device will perform reasonably well.

Am looking at 2 new unlocked Android phones, 1 for myself & 1 for my +1, each unit:
- ~AUD$250-$300
- Outright
- 16GB Storage
- 2GB RAM
- Reasonable CPU
- Reasonable screen size & quality, good resolution
- 4g (to use on the Optus network here in Aust., post-paid SIM)
- Reasonable GPS
- OK Camera, stabilization features & such a bonus but not overly concerned
- Will be using as phone/sms, internet access via ¾g & wifi, GPS navigation, photos & vids

Personally, would love a brand new Galaxy S6 Edge or Note, but they are waaay out of our price range.

Thoughts?

---

Edit: Expanded specs. Those Zenphones seem tempting..

---

- Asus Zenfone 2 ZE550ML
Storage: 16GB
RAM: 2GB
Screen: 5.5" IPS GorillaGlass3 1280x720
Dimensions: 152.5 x 77.2 x 10.9 mm
Wt: 170 g
Dual SIM 4G
CPU: Intel® Atom™ Quad Core Z3560 (1.8GHz)
GPU: PowerVR G6430
Radio: FM
Cameras: Rear 13MP, Front 5MP, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama, HDR
Connectivity: MicroUSB 2.0
Battery: Non-removable
- White eBay $279

- Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML
Storage: 32GB
RAM: 2GB,
Screen: 5.5" IPS GorillaGlass3 1920x1080
Dimensions: 152.5 x 77.2 x 10.9 mm
Wt: 170 g
Dual SIM 4G
CPU: Intel® Atom™ Quad Core Z3560 (1.8GHz)
GPU: PowerVR G6430
Cameras: Rear 13MP, Front 5MP, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama, HDR
- Gray eBay $339

- ZTE Blade S6
Screen: 5" IPS 1280x720
Dimensions: 144 x 70.7 x 7.7 mm
Wt: 134 g
Dual SIM 4G * May not work with our Optus 4G? "Band LTE: B1/B3/B7/B8/B20, UMTS: 900/2100MHz, GSM: 850/900/1800/1900"
CPU: Qualcomm MSM8939 Snapdragon 615, Quad-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 1.0 GHz Cortex-A53
GPU: Adreno 405
Cameras: Rear 13MP, Front 5MP, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection
- White JBHiFi $297

- Lenovo K3 Note
RAM:2GB
Screen: 5.5" IPS 1920x1080
Dimensions: 76.2 x 152.6 x 7.99 mm
Wt: 150 g
Dual SIM 4G
CPU: Mediatek MT6752 ARM Cortex-A53 Octa-core 1.7 GHz
GPU: ARM Mali-T760 MP2 Dual-core 700 MHz
Cameras: Rear 13MP, Front 5MP, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama
- White eBay $255

- Kogan Agora 4G+
Screen: 5" IPS Tempered Glass 1280x720
Dimensions 143 x 73 x 9 mm
CPU: ARM Cortex A7 Quad-core 1.2GHz
GPU: Adreno 305
Cameras: Rear 13MP, Front 2MP
- Black kogan.com $279

---

Last edited:

walker5538

Sep 13, 2014
Phone Camera Similar to Zoom Xenon Flash

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom. I LOVE the xenon flash, as it takes amazing pictures. I have 2 toddlers on the move and it's important that I can "freeze frame" the moment because they won't stay still to take a picture most of the time. My question is... are there any LED flash phones out there that can achieve this same result? My Zoom seems to be eating up batteries for some reason, so I'm looking for my next phone. Should I go with the K Zoom, or something else? One problem I have run into is when I have issues with my Zoom, it's hard to find answers because almost nobody has the phone. It would be nice to have a more "mainstream" phone. One other phone I've been looking at is the Z3 compact, but I don't know if it can compare to the camera I have now.

Do you think the Z3 compact can "freeze frame" like my xenon flash now?

Any other phone suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!! :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)