FORUMS

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more

Microsoft Reaches Pre-Install Agreement With New OEMs

As of late, Microsoft has been making a subtle but widespread play into the … more

Discover XDA: Discover Greater

We’ve all been there at some point in our XDA lives; we used to spend hours browsing over the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[HOW TO] [GUIDE] [Q&A] - Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOT & Then Some

8th May 2015, 10:09 PM |#391  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Android Version 5.0 Model# SM-G900V
Greetings All,

I found a similar post for my question, but I don't want to downgrade to Kitkat 4.4.4. because of the risk of having data wiped. I do have my current data backed up. My intentions are to root it. pick a software (wondershare or something else) to try and retrieve business info (SMS) from a specific number.. up to about 3 weeks ago. I Accidently erased it and I need it. I am not sure if it is possible, but reading through other forums. It seems like there is a chance? How many SMS before that info gets re-written?

Heres what I am trying to do. I want to root my phone. I have no idea what information is needed so I'm providing the following. Let me know if there is any other information needed.

Thank you

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Android version 5.0
Model# SM-G900V
Baseband version G900VVRU1BOC4
Kernel Version 3.4.0 dpi@SWDD6315#1 Wed March 18 13:27:28 KST 2015
Build# lrx21T.G900VVRU1BOC4
SE for Android status
Enforcing SEPF_SM-G900V_5.0_002
Hardware Version G900V.05
Security Software Version
MDF V1.1 Release 4
VPN V1.4 Release 3
KNOX version 2.3
configuration version J13.SAM.SMG900V.1

16th May 2015, 05:51 AM |#392  

More
Thumbs up
I have been reading through these threads looking to see whether or not a non-rooted Verizon S5 with the OTA OC4 update. I have seen different replies to whether or not it can be safely rooted. Coming from a S3(rooted with Alliance Rom Build 23 on MF1) to the S5 that's non-rooted with the OC4 update installed, I am a newbie on these methods of accessing root and don't want to "brick" it. I've seen the posts on how to root and how to Odin the OC4 update and still have root. I just haven't seen any posts directly speaking of rooting a non-rooted S5 that has the OTA OC4 update. Just want to be safe at all costs. I apologize for the lengthy post and thank you all for your hard work in your development(s). CHEERS
18th May 2015, 11:51 PM |#393  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 58

Donate to Me
More
I have the exact same S5 handset as you do.
I made the previous post, one page back.
The bottom line is you have to Odin back to 4.4.4 Baseband version G900VVRU1ANI2 and use towelroot like everyone else.
This video helped me alot:
https://youtu.be/R64pvVHfG28

Note that I'm not afraid of a wipe and I'm just a little bit more dare devil and I tried a short cut and it didn't work. Stuck in a recovery bootloop with nothing in recovery was as far as I got without reading directions. Also, I could care less about 'Lollipop'. I was happy with my old S2 and CyanogenMod. It got smashed, still works, but you'll cut your finger swiping it's smashed so bad, and it's hard to read. I never will have a cool lock screen with five options to turn on anymore, unless someone leaks and they crack the locked bootloader.

So I'll be content running KitKat now that I have root, and I used Titanium Backup to remove all the Samsung bloatware and the Verizon apps. That will have to do.

Also, I've done a lot of reading, and it sounds like that's all Titanium Backup is good for, as the folks flashing custom roms have flakey problems when using TB to restore stuff. So I just use it to freeze stuff so my app drawer isn't chocked full.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by fukenbiker; 19th May 2015 at 12:09 AM. Reason: I'm long winded
19th May 2015, 08:14 PM |#394  

More
newbie very confused! Help first post.
I have been reading and know very little about rooting. Am I wrong that there is not root for lollipop? You must get back to the 4.4.4 version and then "flash" (what ever that means, some kernels and stuff.
I need a step by step process to follow and I don't want to brick the phone. Can someone help me? Do I have to back up stuff onto my computer or my phone or what?
24th May 2015, 12:36 PM |#395  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Can't root
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzie3

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Root & Then Some Thread

The Goal of this thread is to get you rooted and provide you with up to date information all in one place.
The OP will be updated as much as I possibly can with the latest information so please try and refer to it or just search the thread

Questions Answered (Updated 8/8/14):
Can I Root my Verizon S5?
- Yes (see OP here or below details)
Can I Root the NE9 Update?
- Yes, See the Guide post HERE
Can I unlock my bootloader and install CWM/TWRP
- NO, NO and NO. Right now we only have root. Root will not allow you to install custom recovery
Can I atleast install Safestrap Recovery?
- As of now (6/25/14) we have Safestrap thanks to Hashcode.
Will this trip Samsung KNOX and what do I do with it
No, root will not trip your KNOX counter. SuperSU will disable KNOX.
Where do I install SuperSu (superuser app)
6/16 - Right now please use the updated SuperSU app posted to @Chainfire website until it is updated to the play store. The play store version will work, you just will not be able to update binaires. Go here http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip and extrack the .APK and sideload it.
What apps are safe to debloat and how do I remove them?
List will be below. For best removal try titanium backup pro or root explorer. If you haven't bought them by now I suggest you do.
Can I Install Xposed Framework and make it work
Glad you asked, the answer is Yes. See below for further info
Can I get rid of the SD Card R/W restrictions
Yes - Details Below
How do i get rid of that security update notification?
See below
How do I disable OTA updates?
See below

I will keep this OP updated with valued questions from the community. Please refer to OP

I just a Verizon Galaxy S5 online, baseband version G900VVRU1ANK2. I need to root it to fix a sim card issue but it is virtually impossible to root this thing, I tried with towelroot & even Kingo root, both failed. What are my options? Any help appreciated
24th May 2015, 12:59 PM |#396  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 221

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitefulSiren

I just a Verizon Galaxy S5 online, baseband version G900VVRU1ANK2. I need to root it to fix a sim card issue but it is virtually impossible to root this thing, I tried with towelroot & even Kingo root, both failed. What are my options? Any help appreciated

You'll probably need to Odin back to NCG firmware and kernel, then use towel root. That's what worked for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badger50 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2015, 06:27 PM |#397  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger50

You'll probably need to Odin back to NCG firmware and kernel, then use towel root. That's what worked for me.

I downloaded Odin & the NCG file. I'm a semi noob at this, it would suck to brick my device lol. Where can I find detailed instructions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance
Yesterday, 03:54 AM |#398  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitefulSiren

I downloaded Odin & the NCG file. I'm a semi noob at this, it would suck to brick my device lol. Where can I find detailed instructions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance

Check out the video here.

Sent from my SM-G900V
The Following User Says Thank You to LazerDino For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread