FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

[ROM] I747UCUFNE4_AT&T 4.4.2 Stock ROM & System Dump

3,000 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,380

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
31st March 2015, 07:14 AM |#371  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieb620

I have stock rooted 4.1.1 with TWRP can i just download zip in OP+Kernel and flash and be on 4.4.2?

Thanks

I would just recommend unrooting your phone and download the 4.4.2 ota

Sent from my SM-N910F using XDA Free mobile app

31st March 2015, 09:26 AM |#372  
Thanks Meter: 244

More
Quote:

I have stock rooted 4.1.1 with TWRP can i just download zip in OP+Kernel and flash and be on 4.4.2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canodroid15

No, you have to update incrementally, also you need to have the i747U & not i747M, what does your baseband say in settings, about phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown835

Before you do anything you may wish to consider, if your phone is not carrier unlocked, using the free method to take care of this: How to unlock your I747 (AT&T Galaxy S3)firmware 4.1.2 (FIRMWARE DOWNGRADE INVOLVED!) You would not be downgrading since you are on 4.1.1. This unlock could never hurt, and survives upgrades.

If you are wanting to update to KitKat it will take several steps to get there. As @canodroid15 suggested you will need to go incrementally. The simplest way may well be as chitown835 recommends, unrooting and then taking each OTA in turn. I'm not sure, but you may also find you need to return to a stock recovery to receive the OTA updates. This will step you from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 to 4.3, at which time you could then flash then ROM followed by the ktoonsez kernel. Or you simply take the next OTA to 4.4.2. Generally you are forced to wait a day between each OTA. This waiting period can be shortcutted by changing your system time/date after each OTA.

If you do not wish to unroot or remove TWRP to go through each OTA you will still need to update the bootloader and modem incrementally. Use caution, the bootloaders and modems are not the same for the i747 (AT&T) and the i747M (Canadian and Mexican variants). IF you are on the i747 go through each step. If you are on the i747M I would suggest doing the same, though it may not be required until you reach 4.3. To reduce chances of problems update the bootloader and modem together, keep them at the same version. Once you are at 4.3 you could do as you asked: flash the ROM and then the kernel.
Quote:

Prerequisites include a minimum of a 4.3 bootloader and modem. If you are not on the official 4.4.2 bootloaders and modem then you will need to flash ktoonsez kernel. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1756776

Check the first post of the thread. It states that you must be on at least the 4.3 (MJB on the i747, or MK5 for the i747M) before flashing this zip. If this is the route you take, be sure you do not get the stock image dump from the first post, it includes the bootloader and modem, your day would be ruined if you are on the i747M.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dawgdoc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2015, 07:18 PM |#373  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
hello all , I followed this tutorial successfully and flashed 4.4.2 with no problem whatsoever . Today I tried some lollipop custom rom and decided to go back to this rom , so I flashed the zip file with TWRP but I always get this error :
installing busybox
set-perm : some changes failed
E: error executing updater binary in zip
error flashing zip
Can someone please help me , I am stuck here
3rd April 2015, 06:36 PM |#374  
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,034

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by canodroid15

No, you have to update incrementally, also you need to have the i747U & not i747M, what does your baseband say in settings, about phone?

Sent from my OctOS d2att
Beware "The Kraken"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown835

Sent from my SM-N910F using XDA Free mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdoc

Before you do anything you may wish to consider, if your phone is not carrier unlocked, using the free method to take care of this: How to unlock your I747 (AT&T Galaxy S3)firmware 4.1.2 (FIRMWARE DOWNGRADE INVOLVED!) You would not be downgrading since you are on 4.1.1. This unlock could never hurt, and survives upgrades.

If you are wanting to update to KitKat it will take several steps to get there. As @canodroid15 suggested you will need to go incrementally. The simplest way may well be as chitown835 recommends, unrooting and then taking each OTA in turn. I'm not sure, but you may also find you need to return to a stock recovery to receive the OTA updates. This will step you from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 to 4.3, at which time you could then flash then ROM followed by the ktoonsez kernel. Or you simply take the next OTA to 4.4.2. Generally you are forced to wait a day between each OTA. This waiting period can be shortcutted by changing your system time/date after each OTA.

If you do not wish to unroot or remove TWRP to go through each OTA you will still need to update the bootloader and modem incrementally. Use caution, the bootloaders and modems are not the same for the i747 (AT&T) and the i747M (Canadian and Mexican variants). IF you are on the i747 go through each step. If you are on the i747M I would suggest doing the same, though it may not be required until you reach 4.3. To reduce chances of problems update the bootloader and modem together, keep them at the same version. Once you are at 4.3 you could do as you asked: flash the ROM and then the kernel.

Check the first post of the thread. It states that you must be on at least the 4.3 (MJB on the i747, or MK5 for the i747M) before flashing this zip. If this is the route you take, be sure you do not get the stock image dump from the first post, it includes the bootloader and modem, your day would be ruined if you are on the i747M.

Thanks.

I installed all the ota and updated one by one, and than rooted, installed TWRP and flashed this rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to charlieb620 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd April 2015, 08:32 PM |#375  

More
Quote:

Thanks.

I installed all the ota and updated one by one, and than rooted, installed TWRP and flashed this rom.

Glad to see you made it.
28th May 2015, 07:34 AM |#376  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'm trying this upgrade on my T-mobile T999 (galaxy s3). I have a few rookie questions that hopefully can be answered. I assume I cannot use Odin to do the flash/upgrade and I have to boot into recovery mode to complete this upgrade.

Can I make 3 new folders (rom, kernel, modem) that contains the *.zip files in them on the SD card and try to install each one by one, in that order? Is this how I should do it?

Thanks for any help in advance.
29th May 2015, 04:45 AM |#377  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyangster

I'm trying this upgrade on my T-mobile T999 (galaxy s3). I have a few rookie questions that hopefully can be answered. I assume I cannot use Odin to do the flash/upgrade and I have to boot into recovery mode to complete this upgrade.

Can I make 3 new folders (rom, kernel, modem) that contains the *.zip files in them on the SD card and try to install each one by one, in that order? Is this how I should do it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

You are correct, you would flash these from a custom recovery, not with Odin.
Making separate folders to store each, or storing all of them in the same folder will depend on what your recovery supports. I have seen some instructions advise putting the zip files in the root folder of your device. Most recent recoveries should support the multi-folders option, even if they are on the external sdcard.

CAUTION: Make sure you use a modem for your device. Do not use one for the i747. Likewise, if you are using a 4.3 bootloader instead of 4.4.2 firmware, make sure you use a custom kernel for your device. Does ktoonsez's kernels also support the T999?
29th May 2015, 04:56 AM |#378  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
According to some folks, there are some rom, kernel, and modem combo listed in OP that will work for this T999. Can I use the Samsung recovery (home+ power+up) on the phone or do I need to find some "custom" recovery? Do I need to flash in any particular order?
29th May 2015, 06:07 AM |#379  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyangster

According to some folks, there are some rom, kernel, and modem combo listed in OP that will work for this T999. Can I use the Samsung recovery (home+ power+up) on the phone or do I need to find some "custom" recovery? Do I need to flash in any particular order?

It's been a long while since I looked at the thread for Ktoonsez' kernel, so I did so just now by following the link in the OP of this thread. Ktoonsez JellyBean kernel does support the TMO SGS3. Therefore you are good with using it if you are on a Jellybean bootloader. You do not need a custom kernel if you are on a KitKat, 4.4.x, kernel.

Samsung's recovery will not flash the files, you will need a custom recovery such as TWRP, Philz, or CWM. Use one designed for the T999 unless you find where an i747 recovery specifically states that it can be used on the T999. Bear in mind that there are more than varieties of the T999. You may need to use Odin to flash the custom recovery of your choice.

What bootloader and modem are you on currently? (version# and code: 4.3/MJB for the i747 is Jellybean and would require a custom kernel. 4.4.2/NE4 is KitKat and would not require the custom kernel) If you are in doubt about your current bootloader and modem, post back before flashing anything. If you need the modem; flash bootloader and modem (prerequisite), then rom (step 2 of OP), then kernel (step 3 of OP). Otherwise, if you are on KitKat firmware, only flash the rom.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread