How to ROOT Galaxy Note 10.1 3G/Wifi! [N8000/N8013/N8010]

Search This thread

rfuller4

Dec 9, 2012
There's TWO different method to root your Galaxy Note 10.1, one using root-injected official firmware ODIN images and the other using a ClockworkMod Recovery.

Works on ICS and Jelly Bean.

I don't recommend Method 1 anymore, please use Method 2 for all Note 10.1s!!!

[Method 1 - Root injection via ODIN stock firmware] [GT-N8000 and GT-N8013]
Root-injection method will give you just root and also does not increase the binary count. This is a good root method for those of you who just want root and also be able to receive firmware updates easily.

However, the official firmware downloads are near 1GB and currently not available for all firmwares (just European/Saudi/UnitedEmirates available) on GT-N8000. You can still install this on any GT-N8000 but you will have to change the firmware to the available ones.

See here: http://rootgalaxynote.com/galaxy-note-10-1-root/how-to-root-galaxy-note-10-1/

[Method 2 - ClockworkMod Recovery][GT-N8000, GT-N8010, and GT-N8013]
The ClockworkMod Recovery method installs CWM Recovery to the recovery partition to your GT-N8000 then you can simply flash a Superuser zip file to get root. This is the easiest method and also is easily restorable to stock and get OTA updates by flashing stock recovery over it. Also you can keep whatever firmware you have and download size is less than 20MB. Also, once you have CWM Recovery, you can install/restore/backup ROMs. If you are thinking about installing custom ROMs in the future, use this method.

See here: http://rootgalaxynote.com/galaxy-no...t-galaxy-note-10-1-easiest-methodcwmmethod-2/

UPDATE (8/16/2012 10:55AM PST): The CWM method works just fine on the Wifi version GT-N8013, just confirmed on my new Wifi Note 10.1, got it rooted within 5 minutes.
UPDATE (8/16/2012 4:20PM PST): Just added root-injected system image for GT-N8013, it will not increase ur binary count and give u root.

AzzC29uCQAADzdz.jpg
I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 that I tried CF root on, using Odin V1.85, afterward, I found a CWM file in the MyFiles section, but no root or SU.
Can you please recommend another procedure?

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

After I download the file for method 2, CWM, and I unzip the file, I am left with two files still zipped. Do I unzip those as well?

Many Thanks!

adiosa

Apr 21, 2011
Ile-Ife
I did used the second method and was able to flash cwm recovery but couldn't flash the super SU. Could it be bc the binary counter is tripped?
How do you think I can flash the super su to get root access. Many thanks

Quelo1972

Mar 25, 2016
The second method doesn't work for me

I tried the second method http: //rootgalaxynote.com/ galaxy-note-10-1-root/how-to-root-galaxy-note-10-1-easiest-methodcwmmethod-2/ (remove the spaces!)
I have a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 GT-N8000 3g + wi-fi but with android version 4.4.2 kitkat when i try to flash HighOnAndroidCWMRecoveryGTN8000.tar it seams to work ok but when I try to enter the device in recovery mode I still have the official stock recovery. In fact my "Device status" is still "Official".

Have you some ideas for me?

suren21

Jul 17, 2007
hunting-arena.in
I tried the second method http: //rootgalaxynote.com/ galaxy-note-10-1-root/how-to-root-galaxy-note-10-1-easiest-methodcwmmethod-2/ (remove the spaces!)
I have a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 GT-N8000 3g + wi-fi but with android version 4.4.2 kitkat when i try to flash HighOnAndroidCWMRecoveryGTN8000.tar it seams to work ok but when I try to enter the device in recovery mode I still have the official stock recovery. In fact my "Device status" is still "Official".

Have you some ideas for me?
disable the auto reset in odin and reboot by pressing vol+ and power after flashing the recovery.

Quelo1972

Mar 25, 2016
Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. Maybe because I have android 4.4.2 kit kat installed in my device?

Superion

Jul 21, 2007
Hello all! OK, so I have a Galaxy 10.1 3G Wi-Fi (N8013), running 4.1.2. I've been trying to figure out how to root it, and so I stumbled upon this thread in my searches. But I'm also wanting to upgrade my tablet to 4.4.2 (KitKat), and that's where things get muddy. Some posts I saw said it wasn't possible, that there wasn't a 4.4.2 release for this device. Others say that it is available OTA, but have reported problems using method 2 to root their device...some people have responded to that by suggesting de-selecting the "auto-reboot" option on Odin when flashing, but success seems to be mixed.

Bottom line: I'm THOROUGHLY confused! I seem to recall from the instructions that I cannot root my device and then obtain 4.4.2...that will remove root. Can someone give me a definitive answer to upgrading my Note 10.1 to 4.4.2 (if I can even find that option!), and THEN rooting using method 2? Will that work?

xlebronx

Feb 21, 2017
I need quick solution because I'm a student and I need this tablet!

I have a problem with my N8013. When I install root, cyanogenmod or stock rom touch pad not working. But S-Pen still working.. I tried *#2663# with dialer get "Unfortunately, Factory Mode has stopped". But *#06# works except null imei number.

What can I do solve this problem?

Please help me!

Best regards,

kraghh

Sep 25, 2017
The web site referenced in this thread, rootgalaxynote.com, seems to have died. Does anyone have info on that? Or a different web site for same material? Or, pointer to another thread or method for rooting the Samsung GT-N80xx series? Thanks.

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
The web site referenced in this thread, rootgalaxynote.com, seems to have died. Does anyone have info on that? Or a different web site for same material? Or, pointer to another thread or method for rooting the Samsung GT-N80xx series? Thanks.
The way back machine has it archived.
http://web.archive.org/web/20170606...t-galaxy-note-10-1-easiest-methodcwmmethod-2/

And the download site appears to still have the fikes, you just have to copy the URL and go to the site instead of the archive.

http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyNote10.1/rooting/RootGalaxyNote10.1.zip

I have several files saved on Mega (philz, CWM, and more stuff), but would need to search threads to see what they are and how to use them.

Reactions: mawster

Gromhelm

Sep 13, 2010
I have a GT-N8013 and followed the steps for Method 2 until I am in Android system recovery. The problem is, I don't see "Install zip from sdcard". These are the options I have:
- reboot system now
- apply update from ADB
- apply update from external storage
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- apply update from cache

Is there any solution to this issue?

[edit] Got it! I had to disable auto-reboot in odin as suggested earlier

[edit2] Strange, I did everything but Titanium Backup says I don't have root privileges :(

Last edited:

zenhck

Jul 2, 2016
Kota Belud
Can I just flash twrp via odin without rooting it first and directly flash custom rom? I have done it many times before on other device. And which custom rom is good and bugless?

Reactions: zedomax

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please goto rootgalaxynote.com for details, sorry I had to delete my content here.
    Hi... I'm folowing the steps, but can't root my device. I'm using a CWM-SuperSU-v0.94 root metod. Device connects to Odin, i'm flashing the CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip with Odin, and I after I'm rebooting in recovery, I still see the stock revovery... What I do wrong? I'm folowing all the steps, watched the video, doing everything like in video.
    Device is
    Galaxy Note..........10.1
    Model Number.......GT-N8000
    Android Version.....4.1.2.
    Baseband version...N8000XXCLL1
    Kernel version........3.0.31 - 1446185
    ............................dpi@DELL234 # 1
    ............................SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 22 17:30:43 KST 2013
    Build number.........JZO54K.N8000XXCMJ2

Please Help

I've been facing this problem myself this week. I found another post about this issue, and followed it, though I can't find it again. But here are the steps
    1. Before you flash the recovery, uncheck "Auto Reboot" in Odin (or use the --no-reboot switch for heimdall).
    2. Once it's done flashing, reboot straight into recovery by holding the volume up (farthest from power) and the power button (all while the "download" screen is still up).
    3. Release the power button when the splash screen comes up, but continue holding the volume button.
    4. Release the volume button once the recovery comes up.
    I was told that when rebooting after from the first installation using Odin, the tablet recovers the stock recovery (overwriting the custom recovery).

This was very frustrating for me before I came across that post. I think I installed CMW or TWRP a total of 10 times before I found the fix.
    reserved

reserved
    I was successful in rooting the 10.1 (N8013), But i've noticed that when i use the CWM recovery, i have actually purchased a premium app to show support. When i reboots it goes into the android recovery. So with your initial instructions i did the CWM recovery mode from odin and reboot manually. So now if i want to do custom rom flashed i have to do it though odin as well? Can i use GOO app or the CWM paid app?

Much appreciate you input, i will be ever so great ful.

Sincerely,

Just follow the below steps :

if you are still getting the stock recovery 3e follow these steps :

1. When flashing CWM through odin untick the "Auto Reboot" option within Odin.
    2. Flash CWM.
    3. When done , press power & volume up ( the one apart from power button ) until the Samsung logo appears, then leave both buttons.
    4. CWM will appear.
    5. Choose "Reboot System now "
    6. You will get a new screen with an option mentioning something like " disable flash recovery , press it & reboot.
    7. Now if you get back to pressing power & volume up you will have a permanent CWM.

Then you can install root through CWM.:)
    For development, I need both so I can testing everything, I don't want to see people bricking their $500-600 tablets because I didn't test it first.