[FREEWARE] OpenGl ES 2.0 Demo

Tip us?

Phippu
Old
(Last edited by Phippu; 9th June 2010 at 12:22 AM.) Reason: updated links
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking [FREEWARE] OpenGl ES 2.0 Demo

Its there, the first real OpenGL ES 2.0 demo! Some of you may know already my Tigre Engine. The last few day I started to add OpenGl ES 2.0 support and below are the first results. I'll publish all the code as soon as its 100% ready, if you can't wait you should have a look at the current engine at my page, with full source code and a lot of demo applications.

To the demo itself: It shows a very simple phong shader applied to different meshes. If your device has a gsensor, then you can spin around the camera by rotating your device. I've tested the demo with my HD2 and got a bit more than 50 FPS, which is realy god (but remember, its only a prototype and I have a lot of ideas how to improve the performance:))

The second demo is available now! It shows some more advanced effects such as diffuse mapping and normal mapping combined with phong specular lighting. You can switch between those effects and use the g-sensor to rotate the eye or you can rotate it freely with your fingers.

Requirements:
- .net 3.5 runtime
- windows mobile 5,6,6.1,6.5 or 6.5.3
- opengl 2.0 with shader compiler and 1.x support

supported devices:
HTC HD2, HTC HD Mini, Toshiba T01, Acer Neotouch

not supported devices (there are lot of demos on my page that work with this devices, but not opengl 2 demos):
HTC HD, Diamond, Diamond 2, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2

devices that support opengl es 2.0 but does not fulfill all requirements (those will be supported soon):
Omnia II, F900

Download (look for "Tigre Gl2 Test" and for "Tigre Demo Suite 2.0" for the eye)

The updated engine is not yet released, but this article explains how open gl es 2.0 works and how it can be used with the upcoming update:

Basics of OpenGl ES 2.0 and how to use it with Tigre

PS: Why is ogles 1.x required? Ogles 2.0 does offer nothing to do all the required matrix transformation stuff. So I simply decided to use that functionality from ogles 1.x, but omnia II users don't worry, there will be a cpu based transformation too!

DMAND
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cool test, how do you display the FPS?

If only games developers harnessed the power available, well hopefully we'll see some great 3D games with WP7
Samsung Omnia 7 16GB Mango

Phippu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Measuring the time that was required for rendering a frame is easy, but display text with my engine is currently only possible with ogles 1.x (but i think the text implemnetation is great and very flexible). I'll put the updated Tigre sdk online as soon as every feature that works with ogles 1.x also works with ogles 2.0, I think this will take 1-2 weeks.

To WP7: I'll port the engine also for xna, so this will make things even more easy Haven't started this yet, but I don't know if we can access opengl directly with wp7 or if we can use the gpu only via xna. This would be very sad, since xna does not allow us to writte own shaders.

PS: the next demo will be some more eye candy, with bump mapping+specular lighting + environment mapping; be exited

yngvebn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is fantastic! I'm working on some OpenGL-stuff myself, and with your permission I'd like to use parts of your tigre-implementation.

I'm trying to load up one of the demos (actually any of the demos) in the VS-solutions, but I get an error "Create context failed: 12291"

Any ideas?

Running it on an HTC HD2, btw...
I'm not in it for the money, but I love beer!
Donate

You might wanna wait till I'm done with this first: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=611653

Xda-downloads Youtube-channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xdadownloads

Phippu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks Of course you may use parts of Tigre, but please note somewhere that you use parts of Tigre and please do not use it for commercial use without permisson.

The problem with the context failed bug is well known, also for silvermoon or any other ogles application on the snapdragon platform. For now you have to softreset your hd2, then it sould work. I've found already a solution for that issue, the bug will be removed in the next release.

yngvebn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phippu View Post
Thanks Of course you may use parts of Tigre, but please note somewhere that you use parts of Tigre and please do not use it for commercial use without permisson.

The problem with the context failed bug is well known, also for silvermoon or any other ogles application on the snapdragon platform. For now you have to softreset your hd2, then it sould work. I've found already a solution for that issue, the bug will be removed in the next release.
Ah, all right I'll give that a try! Of course no commercial application, just really nice and useful (hopefully )
I'm not in it for the money, but I love beer!
Donate

You might wanna wait till I'm done with this first: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=611653

Xda-downloads Youtube-channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xdadownloads

Phippu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I'm exited, tell me if you're done or if you need some help.

9600xt
Old
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
why when i try to run it on my blackstone it crashes??
HTC Diamond: My own Romwm6.5.5WWE-ITA
HTC Touch HD: My own Romwm6.5.5WWE-ITA
HTC Trinity P3600: My own Romwm6.5.5ITA
HTC Desire: My own RomStockSense A2SD+ and/or DHD Port D2EXT
I'm a student, if you like my work, offer me a beer

Phippu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The Blackstone supports only OpenGl ES 1.0, but the demo requires OpenGl 2.0. Have a look at my page, there are many demos that run all on the Blackstone. Here is a gallery of that demos.

dusty_nz
Old
Thanks Meter 11
When I run I just get a blank window.

Do I need to start. App seems to be okay as I can select menu items like teapot etc but still blank.

Running Xannytech rom with Chainfire driver and dotNet 3.5