Thanks Meter: 5

By modelworks, Junior Member on 27th June 2014, 01:42 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
7th September 2014, 12:29 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by invinciblemo

I would like to ask does anyone knows, what is the voltage of a fully charged battery?

Lithium-ion cells are typically charged to 4.20V. The Nook HD+ uses that value, too. Nominal voltage is 3.7V. I forgot the cut-off voltage that the HD+ uses to decide that the battery is empty, but I think it was 3.4V or 3.5V.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tzul For This Useful Post: [ View ]

10th September 2014, 01:58 PM |#12  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzul

Lithium-ion cells are typically charged to 4.20V. The Nook HD+ uses that value, too. Nominal voltage is 3.7V. I forgot the cut-off voltage that the HD+ uses to decide that the battery is empty, but I think it was 3.4V or 3.5V.

To add to that, make sure you put a load on the battery if you are measuring the voltage of the battery disconnected.
Something like a single 330 ohm resistor would be good.

Bad lithium batteries sometimes will appear charged until you place the load on it then it falls to 2 or lower volts.
Another quick check is to make sure the battery casing is completely flat, if the battery has bulges of more than a few millimeters the battery is about to fail and should be discarded immediately. Another trick you can use is smell the battery, I know sounds weird , but failing lithium batteries have a very unique odor , almost sweet, reminds me of the smell of bananas.
11th April 2015, 01:28 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzul

[*]Nooks will only fast charge on dedicated charging ports, which are recognized by having their data pins shorted. That's more or less standard nowadays for generic USB chargers (USB Battery Charging Specification). However, some chargers still don't meet this requirement, and Apple has their own incompatible standard, naturally.[*]Don't use your tablet if you want to charge it from a low-power source (i.e. USB data connection on the Nook), because depending on the workload, the battery will be charged very slowly or will actually be discharged.

I have an HD+, which I have not been able to get to charge on a 3amp, 2amp or even a 1amp wallwart, but it does charge via its Nook wallwart. Does the above mean that were I to 'repurpose' a short USB extension and simply short the D- and D+ (clear of the +ve and ground) together in the USB lead, that I should then find it will charge via that lead? Please?
1st June 2015, 01:12 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym1byt

Does the above mean that were I to 'repurpose' a short USB extension and simply short the D- and D+ (clear of the +ve and ground) together in the USB lead, that I should then find it will charge via that lead? Please?

Sorry for the late response.
Yes, that is correct, I have built such a cable myself and it does work.
5th June 2015, 10:31 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Battery Issues
I have a Nook HD and it immediately dies as soon as it is unplugged, however there is no apparent damage to the battery, no bulges, leaks, or smells. After I plug it in and it reboots it goes from 10-20% charge to 100% charge within minutes. Is there a way other than removing the battery and charging it externally (outiside of my mechanical ability) to reset the battery to determine if it is a software issue or an issue with the battery itself. Currently running CM 10.2.1 stable.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)