FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[APP](NO ROOT)WiFi tethering for droid mini, ultra, maxx android 4.4

60 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By lpcar04, Member on 31st January 2014, 02:48 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello, I have a droid maxx and coming from a rooted HTC rez I enjoyed my WiFi tethering... A lot. I was hoping for the same on this phone, and I had it on 4.2.2 but I was a soak tester so I lost it. I could no longer root my phone to get my tethering but I found an app that will let you tether on the new droid devices no root on kitkat. Just install app from play. Start app. And your tethered!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifitether.free

Disclaimer: this app may or may not work for you. I am not responsible if this does something bad to your device. I an not responsible if this app charges you in any way

HAPPY TETHERING
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lpcar04 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

31st January 2014, 02:54 AM |#2  
Flag Dix Hills
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcar04

Hello, I have a droid maxx and coming from a rooted HTC rez I enjoyed my WiFi tethering... A lot. I was hoping for the same on this phone, and I had it on 4.2.2 but I was a soak tester so I lost it. I could no longer root my phone to get my tethering but I found an app that will let you tether on the new droid devices no root on kitkat. Just install app from play. Start app. And your tethered!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifitether.free

Disclaimer: this app may or may not work for you. I am not responsible if this does something bad to your device. I an not responsible if this app charges you in any way

HAPPY TETHERING

Just tried it on my Ultra running kitkat and it doesn't work...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
31st January 2014, 05:02 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 575

Donate to Me
More
Linking to an app is not development and should not be posted in this section

Maxx'd out Kit Kat
4th February 2014, 09:20 PM |#4  
Flag Greenwood, DE
Thanks Meter: 10

More
not working on my maxx running 4.4
8th February 2014, 11:58 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Switchpro
I've been using the paid version of switchpro widget. for some reason the tethering widget skips the subscription check on activation.
29th April 2014, 04:46 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Switchpro Widget
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebdroid

I've been using the paid version of switchpro widget. for some reason the tethering widget skips the subscription check on activation.

Does this mean that you can tether without root and without paying for a tethering plan?
29th April 2014, 04:34 PM |#7  
Flag Dix Hills
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlpuears

Does this mean that you can tether without root and without paying for a tethering plan?

If it actually skips the entitlement check on unrooted devices then it should work, but I wont be able to try it since I'm rooted... Try and report back

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk
29th April 2014, 08:22 PM |#8  
Flag Holden, MO
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
I tried both and neither worked for me...

Sent from my XT1030 using xda premium
17th June 2015, 09:25 AM |#9  

More
Trying to tether my Droid Maxx
I damaged my Droid Maxx that WAS running 4.2.2 which allowed FoxFi to wifi tether my unlimited data plan. But my replacement device came with 4.4.4 (SU6-7 & 24.3.7.obake-maxx_verizon.en.US), and FoxFi doesnt support it passed 4.3 on my device.

I really want my tethering back (without paying twice for my unlimited data!).

Supposedly a Daniel Pocock authored this method to unblock tether on 4.4 with no root required:
pmf .silvrback. com / fixing-tethering-on-android-kitkat (if ya needed the source...)
1. Enable developer mode (Go to Settings -> About phone, and click on the build number until the developer mode is enabled).
2. Enable USB debugging under Settings -> Developer options
3. Connect the device with a USB cable to a computer with the Android SDK platform tools installed
4. Start an adb shell: adb shell
5. In the adb shell, run this command: settings put global tether_dun_required 0
I did steps 1-3 of installing, downloading, degugging, and plugging in USB cable. Problem is I have no idea how to do 4 or 5. Nor do I know if this will even work.

Can anyone help me execute steps 4 and 5, or even comment on accuracy/reliability of this method.

Plan B
While I prefer the laziness and safety of not rooting. Im willing to do what it takes to get my tethering back. If I end up rooting, Id like to reduce apps permissions and maybe try a ROM (Lollypop?) But Id need much more education on the whole topic, recovery, the whole bit. Obviously some methods are WAY more complicated than others (rootjunky). Tempting are the easy root methods like: towelroot, oneclickroot.com, kingoapp, SRSroot, etc., but again, my knowledge is lacking and Id happily settle for getting my tether back.

Plan C
I've seen some pay for services online that will root my phone for me priced $20-40. Depending on their level of support to help secure my rooted device, apps, etc. I'd SO be willing to pay a reasonable one-time fee to a bona fide expert to just "get er done" rather than struggle to find good info and learn all this. I can't even follow what looked like simple instructions above :[. Any input on this idea is welcome as well. (Is the desperation obvious? lol).

Super Thanks!
18th June 2015, 03:19 AM |#10  

More
I've been searching this and other forums all day...
I found something from "crash xxL" here
xda-developers Motorola Droid Ultra Droid Ultra General Droid Mini/Maxx/Ultra Root [SU6-7] by CrashXXL

But its all greek to me. I can't "run" anything, or "start a shell", I must be retarded, lol. The SDK Android studio app might as well be Greek as well - I've look thru all the menus but its obvious I'm way out of my league here. I used to consider myself somewhat of a techie, but not after this exercise!

Is there hope for us mere mortals?

If the method on my last post seems viable i'd like to try it. Otherwise I figure I'll just have to pay one of those websites, rather than pay VZW another $30 monthly for the privilege of using the data I've already purchased.

Really need that tether back. Even if i get it rooted, I'm not sure how to "fix" the tether problem...sigh...

ANY help is appreciated
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
droid maxx, droid ultra, kitkat, tether, wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)