[RUU][Firmware]Sprint HTC One M8 | 6.20.65x.3 | Stock Rooted ROMs | Updated 1.30.16

Search This thread

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Thanks @EarlyMon, I wasn't sure about what info under settings menu reflected firmwares accurately. Lots of great info.
Basically all you need to remember is that the "OS" line in bootloader reflects the "mainver" value from the android-info.txt file of the last thing that was flashed via HBOOT or fastboot. Sometimes you'll notice that number doesn't match what's in Settings because you may have flashed firmware separately from the ROM.

The "Software Version" line item in Settings ALWAYS pulls from the ROM's build.prop under /system. So it doesn't care what firmware you've flashed; it'll always match your ROM.

Either value can be manually changed in order to confuse your firmware situation. However for most people, the baseband/radio they're on will match the firmware package it came from. Radio firmware *should* be flashed with all of the other corresponding firmware from the same software version. That makes using the baseband a more reliable method to identify your current firmware, which is why I always listed the radio version that accompanied a specific software version in my firmware thread ;).

I have seen a thread for the M8 with recovery-flashable radios, which write directly to the radio partition using dd. That may cause a disparity between firmware/baseband versions and is not typically recommended for two reasons:
  • Radio firmware typically works the best when paired with the other firmware from the same software with which it was distributed. The gains from using mismatched firmware combinations are rarely outweighed by the losses.
  • It's highly unsafe to flash radio firmware via dd while in recovery. That's one of the more volatile partitions, and if something happens mid-flash, you'll most likely be left with an expensive paperweight. The bootloader has safety features built into it that make radio flashing less risky. It is MUCH safer and reliable to flash any/all firmware that way.

EarlyMon

Jun 23, 2010
Check out the big brain on Cap'n!

(No seriously many thanks for clearing that all up.)

• Radio firmware typically works the best when paired with the other firmware from the same software with which it was distributed. The gains from using mismatched firmware combinations are rarely outweighed by the losses.

QFT.

I'm on my way back to Lollipop, I like to get the firmware first and then the rom.

Reactions: ckvisme

horace_p

Apr 13, 2008
Need Help....
I need to upgrage from version 2.16.651.4 (4.4.3) to 4.25.651.14 (lolipop), but my phone is already unlocked for gsm, s-off, rooted, super CID, unlocked boot.
I receive OTA popup for upgrade but i dont whether is its safe for upgrade...
Can anyone tell me how to upgrade to lolipop

EVOuser94

Aug 6, 2012
Bloomsdale
Need Help....
I need to upgrage from version 2.16.651.4 (4.4.3) to 4.25.651.14 (lolipop), but my phone is already unlocked for gsm, s-off, rooted, super CID, unlocked boot.
I receive OTA popup for upgrade but i dont whether is its safe for upgrade...
Can anyone tell me how to upgrade to lolipop

Flash Firmware for what you want, flash the GSM variant of what you are getting, If you lose your SIM unlock find out if the firmware you are about to flash has SIM unlocking capabilities

Reactions: horace_p

horace_p

Apr 13, 2008
First I need to flash Firmware or RUU?
Does OTA upgrade brings any issue after s-off, rooted, super CID, unlocked boot...

EVOuser94

Aug 6, 2012
Bloomsdale
First I need to flash Firmware or RUU?
Does OTA upgrade brings any issue after s-off, rooted, super CID, unlocked boot...

It doesn't matter, you are S-off. RUU will make you have to reflash Recovery, and gives you a Stock unrooted ROM. So you would be downloading something the size of a finished rooted ROM, I personally only suggest RUU if firmware flashes and Clean ROM flashes don't fix your errors, problems. Firmware is the upgrade, you would be taking with an OTA, as long as you have a supported ROM for your firmware you should be In the clear

Reactions: horace_p

torankusu

New to Sprint M8 H/K

Hi all,

So I'm coming from an HTC evo LTE, phone was solid for the past 3 years. I decided to upgrade and I got a HTC m8 H/K edition.
Phone came with v2.16.654.4. I already rooted it and unlocked bootloader. Info:
***UNLOCKED***
M8_WHL PVT SHIP S-off
CID-SPCS_0004
HBOOT-3.18.0.0000
Radio-1.08.20.0612_4
0S-2.16.654.4
So what do I do to accomplish the following:
1. Update to the latest everything for sprint, without loosing s-off, unlocked bootloader and ROM that comes rooted. (is there any issues or features with newer hboot?)
I'll appreciate if someone can point me to the right set of steps or ZIPs to flash from the 1st post of this thread.
Regards.

UPDATE:
I went to OMJ's bad boyz rom Thread.
Flashed latest firmware fastboot zip (no boot & recovery option) Twice. The 4.25.654.14 firmware one.
Flashed latest Bad boyz sprint htc one m8 sense 7-v1.0.
Everything looks good besides no WiFi feature. I'm using a H/K edition phone. ***started having ramdom reboots then bootloop after 5-6 hours.*****

Update2
Wiped and flashed bad boyz sense 6 v3.4, still same Wi-Fi issue not starting up. will try a different rom and report back.

Should I run the RUU? if so what would i be loosing besides root.

Update3:
wiped and flashed stock rooted 4.20.654.15 and still no wifi, something got messed up going from 2.xx roms to 4.2x.xxx
ran Ruu and wifi works now.

Update4
RUU fixed it. you'll lose recovery and root but not unlocked-s-off bootloader.
Flashed latest twrp for htc m8 through adb - fastboot commands. (used minimal adb install)
Twrp asked if I wanted to install SU which I did.
Now that I have recovery I'll try flashing "bad boyz sense7" rom from OMJ and company.
Will report back.

Last edited:

deedeebulldog

Jun 14, 2008
I am stuck updating (3/7). I know someone had this issue in an earlier post and rebooted and started the ruu again and it worked. I am on my 3rd attempt and still no luck. Any advice? I am going to try it on another pc to rule that out.
Thanks.

It seems that usb 3.0 was my problem. All is good now

Last edited:

pillopoulos

Jan 24, 2014
Hi, I've finally figured out what is wrong with my cell and I couldn't reach LTE signal in my area. My carrier supports only the 2600mhz band and my cell reaches only the two previous bands. After watching some forums, I tried to reach through the phone's dialer, after pressing ##3282# , the menu of the phone's bands editing, but it doesn't do anything. Can you give me an idea or a different solution?

Στάλθηκε από το 831C μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

drewtorrespr

Aug 10, 2010
Bushkill, PA
Did "Format Data" to clear up some issues on my phone with Bad Boyz v3.4
So i decided to try and flash this firmware thru the bootloader on my M8 H/K phone:
4.25.654.14 Modified Firmware....removed recovery (fastboot flashable): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934552838

Now it picked it up and applied it, where it says 'OS' on the bootloader screen it says 4.25.654.14. Now i flashed v3.4 again got the phone booted up and the whole nine but wanted to make sure the firmware stuck. Go back in the bootloader but now it says nothing after OS. Any reason why, am i flashing wrong, do i need to ruu to make it stick, is the firmware even the right one for my phone, or should i be using the Sense 7 version of Bad boyz?

EVOuser94

Aug 6, 2012
Bloomsdale
So i decided to try and flash this firmware thru the bootloader on my M8 H/K phone:
4.25.654.14 Modified Firmware....removed recovery (fastboot flashable): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934552838

Now it picked it up and applied it, where it says 'OS' on the bootloader screen it says 4.25.654.14. Now i flashed v3.4 again got the phone booted up and the whole nine but wanted to make sure the firmware stuck. Go back in the bootloader but now it says nothing after OS. Any reason why, am i flashing wrong, do i need to ruu to make it stick, is the firmware even the right one for my phone, or should i be using the Sense 7 version of Bad boyz?

It is just because you have modified firmware, it is nothing to worry about, if you RUU it will fix because it has stock firmware inside.

Reactions: drewtorrespr

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer

What recovery are you using?

drewtorrespr

Aug 10, 2010
Bushkill, PA
It is just because you have modified firmware, it is nothing to worry about, if you RUU it will fix because it has stock firmware inside.

So no need to RUU then or Do the RUU? the reason i ask is because i could have sworn the WIFI on my phone had taken a performance hit going from KK to Lollipop.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

What recovery are you using?

i think your gonna kick my ass for this, now that you mention this, and i didnt think of it....im still using twrp v2.7.0.2....possibility that may be messing up my flashes

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
So no need to RUU then or Do the RUU? the reason i ask is because i could have sworn the WIFI on my phone had taken a performance hit going from KK to Lollipop.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

i think your gonna kick my ass for this, now that you mention this, and i didnt think of it....im still using twrp v2.7.0.2....possibility that may be messing up my flashes
That's definitely why your OS line is blank, if nothing else.

Reactions: drewtorrespr

Top Liked Posts