FORUMS

Intel & Micron Announce “Revolutionary” Storage Tech

Intel & Micron have announced 3D Xpoint technology—”the … more

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

Make Your Lockscreen More Productive With Widgets

Are you running Android Lollipop? Do you miss the ability to add widgets to your lock … more

Moto X Style, Moto X Play and Moto G Forums Are Here!

The latest family members of the new generation of Motorola devices are … more

[HOW TO] Disable OTA Update (G-Note 3) Notifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!

156 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
23rd November 2014, 05:29 AM |#31  
Flag Columbia, Missouri
Thanks Meter: 0

More
confirmed for samsung galaxy note pro 12.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqhawk

The user lordazoroth originally posted this method here in the T-Mobile SGSIII forum. However, I have confirmed that it works with the Note 3 (at least with the Verizon variant) with one small difference. Feel free to give us both a "THANKS" if this helped you out.

You can disable the OTA Update notification by following the steps below. Just be aware that there is a small change in STEP #3.

Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ (may be /data/fota) and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear. (My phone rebooted and tried to install the update - this is the point where my Note 3 gave the update failed notification. I just rebooted the phone and went to STEP #2.)
Step 2. Disable otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

(NOTE: The difference in STEP #3 for the Galaxy Note 3 is that the [FotaClient.apk] is named [LocalFotaClient.apk] instead of just [FotaClient.apk]. All of the other steps are the same.

Continue running JB 4.3 and enjoy your Note 3 without that nagging update notification!

confirmed for samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 on November 22nd, 2014.

22nd June 2015, 03:12 PM |#32  
Flag Foxboro
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Hi thanks for the great guide- the ota notification started coming at me rapid fire- I almost thought vzw was going to juice it to my phone automatically.
The only thing I encountered is that the small change in step 3 is that in my phone there is no LocalFotaClient.apk- it is LocalFota.apk (no client)- so I just renamed that as LocaFota.apk.bak along with FWUpgrade.apk.bak.
So am I on the right track?
Thamks again.
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqhawk

The user lordazoroth originally posted this method here in the T-Mobile SGSIII forum. However, I have confirmed that it works with the Note 3 (at least with the Verizon variant) with one small difference. Feel free to give us both a "THANKS" if this helped you out.

You can disable the OTA Update notification by following the steps below. Just be aware that there is a small change in STEP #3.

Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ (may be /data/fota) and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear. (My phone rebooted and tried to install the update - this is the point where my Note 3 gave the update failed notification. I just rebooted the phone and went to STEP #2.)
Step 2. Disable otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

(NOTE: The difference in STEP #3 for the Galaxy Note 3 is that the [FotaClient.apk] is named [LocalFotaClient.apk] instead of just [FotaClient.apk]. All of the other steps are the same.

Continue running JB 4.3 and enjoy your Note 3 without that nagging update notification!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
disable, note 3, notification, ota, update
Previous Thread Next Thread