[KERNEL][Sony JB 4.3][26.04.15] Williams kernel v9.1

Did the 270 MHz frequency step increase your battery life ?

• Yes

Votes: 101 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 97 34.2%
  • I don't use this step

Votes: 65 22.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

S O N Y

Nov 27, 2014
It's normal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but performance governor just uses the max frequency. This is not really safe/stable with overclocking and there are other ways to do this.
Hi
I have a very important question from you about this kernel.
Sometimes ago when the v5.1 of this kernel is latest, I flashed that with unlocked bootloader on the sony stock rom (.207) but after flashing kernel my phone can't boot up and start to restarting.
After some restarts my phone power down and I couldn't power on it.
After that I flashed stock kernel. My phone is power on and boot up but I have lost unlocking bootloader allow and I haven't any network coverage with any sim.
Important is the I have lost my bootloader unlocking allow.
Please help me.
I need help.

pec0ra

Jan 29, 2012
Zürich
Sony Xperia 5 II
Hi
Sometimes ago when the v5.1 of this kernel is latest, I flashed that with unlocked bootloader on the sony stock rom (.207) but after flashing kernel my phone can't boot up and start to restarting.
After that I flashed stock kernel. My phone is power on and boot up but I have lost unlocking bootloader allow and I haven't any network coverage with any sim.
Please help me.
I need help.
Unfortunately I don't know a solution for this. There have been other posts reporting this issue, you should try to contact these people and try to find a solution together.

akashsaini7

Feb 5, 2014
Alwar
Hi
Please help me.
I need help.

This can happen if u flash ftf of a carrier which doesn't allow bootloader unlocking. Try flashing ftf of other regions.
Thats only i can say, if that's not the case than I am helpless.

It's normal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but performance governor just uses the max frequency. This is not really safe/stable with overclocking and there are other ways to do this.

I got it. Just wanted to be sure because perf gov is listed in 1st post and I'm running a modified cm11 rom.

If you can and have time to explain me:
- In Pimp my Z1, app crashes when I enter Power Management. It's probably due to the fact I'm on a LBL CM11 which loads a ramdisk and offers me to enter its recoveries (up to date) if I want. It loads using the wipedata hack and so I guess I can put the stock wipedata binary to boot directly.
!! [EDIT] !! If I use stock wipedata binary cm11 boot crashes. Something important un cm11 ramdisk ...
- Perhaps in this case I won't have the PimpMyZ1 FC, but I need TWRP 2.8.6 sometimes : I have it in .tar file, I did a search but didn't found a tuto about how to make a flashable .img recovery via fastboot. Only 2.8.5 is available as .img on SP community.
- Perhaps it's also possible to unpack williams kernel to update its recoveries but I also didn't found how to do that.

Any clue or links ?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I have twrp 2.8.6.img. It was posted by kontini (did i spell right) somewhere in cm12.1 thread pg 3 or 4 (i guess)

Thank you, I got it !

[EDIT] But I'd like to know how to make a .img and extract it to check some things...

[EDIT2] In 9.1 "cpufreq limiter" is back. I'd like do know what it does. Just to understand/learn.

Last edited:

akashsaini7

Feb 5, 2014
Alwar
Thank you, I got it !

[EDIT] But I'd like to know how to make a .img and extract it to check some things...

[EDIT2] In 9.1 "cpufreq limiter" is back. I'd like do know what it does. Just to understand/learn.

About making an img u can contact kontini.
Really sorry I can't help much my knowledge is limited to flashing things.

I wish i could get time to learn things but my studies :(

Reactions: sambastrakan
Comparing stock kernel with williams 9.1 and trusting Antutu there is a strange thing:
- stock gives about 500 pts more in multi tasking (~4800 stock and ~4300 williams). I ran the bench several times to be sure.
I'm using MrSteve cm11 and wiped all additional modules except frandom which gives ~400 more points (without frandom, williams have about 3850pts in multitasking which seems to be low)

If someone knows something about that....

However overall perf is by far better. :)

pec0ra

Jan 29, 2012
Zürich
Sony Xperia 5 II
Thank you, I got it !

It forces the max frequency to be applied to all the cores. Without it, mpdecision resets the max frequency (the the max step available) every time it plugs in a core.

My phone refuses to run @1800 neither 1900.
I also get a freeze right now (phone does not wake up with power button --> reset button was the only way to restart)
This may be because of unsufficient voltage.
If I understood well this kernel has voltages a little bit under the stock's ones. What are the stock voltages for all freqs ?

[EDIT] I'm also having files and folders with a date of 1971 ans someones 1970. As I found some files with this date that comes from williams ramdisk I suppose it's a little bug of the kernel ?
In my ramdisk for cm11 time_daemon is started at "on property:qcom.thermal=thermal-engine" and in williams at "on property:init.svc.bootanim=stopped".
Also my ini.d script create a log of 1971.
I don't remember this with stock kernel. Any clue ??

thanks.

Last edited:
this is the logcat when phone does not wake up:

I/PowerManagerService( 1647): Waking up from sleep...
D/PowerManagerService( 1647): acquireWakeLock: ignoring request from com.google.android.gms
D/PowerManagerService( 1647): acquireWakeLock: ignoring request from com.google.android.gms
I/sysmon-tsens_tz_sensor3( 1216): sensor_work - read value = 350
I/sysmon-tsens_tz_sensor0( 1216): sensor_work - read value = 360
W/View ( 1803): requestLayout() improperly called by android.widget.TextClock{41ed5cb0 V.ED.... ......ID 104,0-484,213 #7f0a004a app:id/clock_view} during layout: running second layout pass
W/View ( 1803): requestLayout() improperly called by android.widget.TextClock{41f895b8 V.ED.... ......ID 221,0-367,38 #7f0a004f app:id/date_view} during layout: running second layout pass
I/WindowManager( 1647): Lock screen displayed!
D/DisplayPowerController( 1647): Unblocked screen on after 4221132 ms
W/ActivityManager( 1647): getAssistContextExtras failed: no resumed activity

Phone is not freezed, I can enter shell command. But if I type: stop and then start commands it does a hot reboot but I will not be able to wake up the phone again. Full reboot needed to solve temporqrily the bug.

Last edited:

pec0ra

Jan 29, 2012
Zürich
Sony Xperia 5 II
this is the logcat when phone does not wake up:

I/PowerManagerService( 1647): Waking up from sleep...
I/sysmon-tsens_tz_sensor3( 1216): sensor_work - read value = 350
I/sysmon-tsens_tz_sensor0( 1216): sensor_work - read value = 360
W/View ( 1803): requestLayout() improperly called by android.widget.TextClock{41ed5cb0 V.ED.... ......ID 104,0-484,213 #7f0a004a app:id/clock_view} during layout: running second layout pass
W/View ( 1803): requestLayout() improperly called by android.widget.TextClock{41f895b8 V.ED.... ......ID 221,0-367,38 #7f0a004f app:id/date_view} during layout: running second layout pass
I/WindowManager( 1647): Lock screen displayed!
D/DisplayPowerController( 1647): Unblocked screen on after 4221132 ms
W/ActivityManager( 1647): getAssistContextExtras failed: no resumed activity

Phone is not freezed, I can enter shell command. But if I type: stop and then start commands it does a hot reboot but I will not be able to wake up the phone again. Full reboot needed to solve temporqrily the bug.
Thanks for the log ! :) However, if it is a kernel problem, the dmesg will be more useful.
Please put this kind of log in a file or between the code tag next time so we can read it better.

Thanks for the log ! :) However, if it is a kernel problem, the dmesg will be more useful.
Please put this kind of log in a file or between the code tag next time so we can read it better.

dmesg log attached. will make an other one when the bug appears again.
it never happened with stock kernel so I think it's the guilty. Happened 3 times in one week with this kernel.
also, if you build a new version, it could be a very good idea to update twrp to 2.8.6 (so good to access sdcard phone and be able to use adb too) :)
there is also the bug of 1970 dates. there is a workaround: if i use integrated recovery of my rom dates are ok (I can post ramdisk and recovery stuff if you want)

Thanks

Attachments

• dmesg.zip
    24.6 KB · Views: 20

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the version for Sony stock based ROM

Introduction
    Hello dear developers and android hackers,

On this thread, I will share with you a project I am developing as I am learning kernel programming / hacking. This version of the williams kernel is based on Sony kernel with enhancement, mostly for battery saving.

Features
    • Based on Sony 12.1.A.1.207 kernel sources
    • Compiled with linaro GCC 4.9.1 toolchain, -O3
    • Frequency table from 384Mhz to 1944Mhz
    • Governors : interactive, ondemand, performance, conservative, lagfree, smartassV2, intellidemand2, intelliactive and lionheart
    • I/O schedulers : noop, deadline, cfq, V(R), row, sio, fifo
    • CPU frequency limiter lets you underclock all cores
    • Fast hotplug
    • Undervolt
    • Force fast charging
    • Changed minfree values for better multitasking and RAM management
    • TWRP and CWM recovery included, fota partition support
    • Dynamic fsync thank's to faux123
    • FauxSound thank's to faux123

Installation instructions
    Code:
    Use this kernel at you own risk !
    I am not responsible for any damage or problem.

1. Flash zip via recovery
    2. Reboot

Download

Changelog
    Williams kernel v9.1 : 26.04.15
    • Reactivate cpufreq limiter

Williams kernel v9 : 26.04.15
    • Fixed frequency table
    • Add 1944 MHz frequency step

Williams kernel v8 : 12.12.14
    • Set qcom mpdecision as default hotplug (No need to deactivate it anymore unless you want to use another hotplug :) )
    • Remove msm_mpdecision
    • Add fast hotplug
    • Increase 1.8GHz step frequency for better stability
    • Add FOTA recovery support (Volume down)

Williams kernel v7 : 03.10.14

Williams kernel v6 : 01.10.14
    • Rebased on Sony 12.1.A.207 kernel sources
    • Increase voltage of highest frequency for more stability
    • Fix some bugs introduced in version 5.1

Williams kernel v5.1 : 20.07.14
    • Updated ramdisk to .205
    • Replaced philz recovery with cwm

Williams kernel v5 : 30.05.14
    • Changed frequency table for more stability
    • Add force fast charging, thanks to @DooMLoRD for the port
    • Disabled cpu freq limiter since msm_mpdecision already takes care of it

Williams kernel v4 : 24.05.14
    • Add overclock up to 1888 Mhz

Williams kernel v3.1 : 23.05.14
    • Fixed antutu crashes

Williams kernel v3 : 22.05.14
    • Changed frequency table to 270-1728 MHz
    • Added dynamic fsync thank's to @faux123

Williams kernel v2.2 : 21.05.14
    • Changed illumination at splash screen
    • Fixes for compatibility with linaro GCC 4.9.1 toolchain
    • -O3 compiler optimizations
    • Use xz compression

Williams kernel v2 : 18.05.14
    • Add V(R), ROW, SIO and FIFO I/O schedulers. Thanks to bbedward and DooMLoRD
    • Add @show-p1984 's mpdecision (see faq for more information)
    • Add TWRP and CWM recovery. Thanks to @dssmex and @DooMLoRD
    • Add custom splash logo. Thanks to @DooMLoRD for his tutorial

Williams kernel v1 : 13.05.14
    • Initial release

Check my github to see all the changes.

FAQ
    Q : With what ROM can I use this kernel ?
    A : With any ROM based on Sony stock 4.3

Q : What features will be added to next versions ?
    A : I probably don't know. If you have a feature request, please use the devdb tab for it on the top of the thread.

Q : Your kernel isn't working / My phone isn't booting anymore
    A : Read this whole post once more, search for your problem in thread and report it if you haven't found a solution.

Q : Can I install this kernel on locked bootloader ?
    A : No ! This kernel is only for unlocked bootloader.

Q : Does this kernel include recovery ?
    A : Yes ! You can access by pressing volume button when the lights blink. Volume up to go to CWM and Volume down to go to TWRP or loads from FOTA partition if you have a kernel installed..

Q : What are mpdecision and fast hotplug ?
    A : This is what manage your cpu cores and decide which core will be online. Fast hotplug is a brand new hotplug that I wrote. You can find more information there

Q : How to control fast hotplug ?
    A : I modified Pimp my Z1 to be compatible with fast hotplug. You can use it without any problem on your Xperia SP to configure fast hotplug (Power Management menu) but it might have bugs with other functions (you can still try, I haven't had problems yet ;) ).
    You can find it there

Q : Where does the name come from ?
    A : This kernel isn't named after someone but after a pear. We use this pear to make one of the best swiss "eau de vie" called Williamine.

Thanks To/Credits
    Code:
    * Sony for their sources and device
    * @DooMLoRD
    * @thewadegeek for his [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1748297"]Tutorial[/URL]
    * @show-p1984 for his mpdecision
    * @dssmex
    * bbedward
    * Erasmux
    * faux123
    * Androguide.fr for Pimp my Z1
    * The xda community for making me discover android and for answering so many of my questions
    * Google for kernel sources and its search engine
    * Apple for making expensive phone so that I never bought one of theirs

Please let me know per pm if there is any mistake or misspelled word in this thread. Automatic correction does a great job but since english isn't my motherthongue I'm pretty sure I made mistakes.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Williams kernel - Sony, Kernel for the Sony Xperia SP

Contributors
    pec0ra
    Source Code: https://github.com/pec0ra/williams

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2014-05-13
    Last Updated 2015-04-26
    Update to v8

New update : Williams kernel v8

Changelog :

• Set qcom mpdecision as default hotplug (No need to rename it anymore unless you want to use another hotplug :) )
    • Remove msm_mpdecision
    • Add fast hotplug
    • Increase 1.8GHz step frequency for better stability
    • Add FOTA recovery support (Volume down; needs testing)

From now on, you won't need anymore to deactivate mpdecision before flashing the kernel. It is now set as the default hotplug. You only need to deactivate it when you activate another hotplug (for example if you want to try fast hotplug) but if you use the app Pimp my Z1, it will do it for you !

About fast hotplug :

Fast hotplug is a hotplug I wrote myself. You can find more information there

Download :

Recovery flashable zip :
    Sony Williams kernel v8.zip
    mirror
    Update to v9.1

New update : Williams kernel v9.1

Changelog :

• Reactivate cpufreq limiter

Download :

Recovery flashable zip :
    Sony Williams kernel v9.1.zip
    mirror
    Update to v9

New update : Williams kernel v9

Changelog :

• Fixed frequency table
    • Add 1944 MHz frequency step

I have some good news ! I finally found what was causing the reboots with my kernel :)
    All the frequencies were in fact 108 MHz higher than they appeared to be. The voltages were then not high enough for the real frequency and it was causing reboots.

Note that the 1944 MHz step might still be unstable on some phones and has the tendency to overheat your phone so be careful when playing with it ! Don't be surprised if your phone shuts down because of overheat if you are using it.

Download :

Recovery flashable zip :
    Sony Williams kernel v9.zip
    mirror
    Update to v2.2

Minor update : Williams kernel v2.2

Changelog :

• Changed illumination at splash screen
    • Fixes for compatibility with linaro GCC 4.9.1 toolchain
    • -O3 compiler optimizations
    • Use xz compression

This build should be faster than the previous one due to the new toolchain used to compile it and some compilation optimization.

If you want to play with your leds, take a look at the script I created. It has some easy to use functions. You can find it here. Just run it from terminal or script manager with root permission and don't hesitate to edit it and reuse it.

Download :

Recovery flashable zip :
    Williams kernel v2.2.zip
    mirror

Fastboot flashable elf :
    Williams kernel v2.2.elf
    mirror