FORUMS

Beats Music No Longer Accepting New Accounts

Whenever Apple launches a new product or service, it definitely manages to grab the … more

Do You Do Self-Repairs on Your Devices?

As smartphone designs become more and more complex, self-repairs on devices are also becoming … more

Sony Z4 Slips Out of Top 5 Smartphones in Japan

In a bid to streamline its flagship series which had been losing credibility over the … more

Sprint’s New Unlimited Plan with Ridiculous Capped Speeds

The carrier game in the United States is perpetually rushing forward at … more

[how to] lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required)

2,558 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,725

By scotty1223, Recognized Contributor on 7th April 2014, 01:39 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
17th June 2015, 02:27 PM |#301  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1223

do some searching, it has been discussed many times. the main value is getting back to a locked status. Using fastboot oem lock gets you relocked

Sent from my HTC One

The few months I own this device I am searching and learning as much as I can.

edit: I believe you haven't understood my question. I now understand from your reply that you can relock the bootloader using fastboot oem lock even without S-Off but that was not the main concern expressed in my question.
How do you unlock your bootloader without htcdev as the title reads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1223

this thread will let you unlock your bootloader without htcdev,
advantages
-no hassle with htcdev,tokens,or unlock codes
-no submitting your phones personal info to htc

S-Off requires root in the first place and root requires unlocked bootloader, which requires htcdev. So, how do you actually do what the title reads without giving away your info to htc via htcdev?
Last edited by _purple_; 17th June 2015 at 03:44 PM.

17th June 2015, 08:31 PM |#302  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Sunshine could temp-root KitKat long enough to S-off in the past, which allowed you to bypass HTCDev. However, with the advent of Lollipop, you now have to root the old-fashioned way first.
The Following User Says Thank You to jshamlet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2015, 09:29 AM |#303  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Exactly. Also some 4.4.4 devices cannot be temp-rooted for the purposes of S-Off. It's not like lollipop and latest KitKat users are one or two. It could be 50% of M8 owners.
18th June 2015, 05:04 PM |#304  
Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 79

More
I just got an insurance replacement that came with 5.0.2 preloaded. Once I get S-Off, will this still work?

Also please forgive my rustiness - for rooting, I can push TWRP to the phone right out of the box, then flash the SU.zip from CF's website, and then do Sunshine, bootloader unlock, etc, correct?

Sorry for the questions, just seems like Lollipop turned everything I knew about this phone on its head.

Thanks!
18th June 2015, 05:39 PM |#305  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superguy

I just got an insurance replacement that came with 5.0.2 preloaded. Once I get S-Off, will this still work?

Also please forgive my rustiness - for rooting, I can push TWRP to the phone right out of the box, then flash the SU.zip from CF's website, and then do Sunshine, bootloader unlock, etc, correct?

Sorry for the questions, just seems like Lollipop turned everything I knew about this phone on its head.

Thanks!

Assuming your phone is 100% bone stock with Lollipop 5.0.2, you will need to go through HTCDev first to unlock the bootloader. THEN you can push TWRP and a SU package. Once you obtain root, you can then S-off. At least until the Sunshine team finds a temp-root exploit.

If you are wondering, yes, this is the opposite of how it worked previously.
The Following User Says Thank You to jshamlet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2015, 06:10 PM |#306  
Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshamlet

Assuming your phone is 100% bone stock with Lollipop 5.0.2, you will need to go through HTCDev first to unlock the bootloader. THEN you can push TWRP and a SU package. Once you obtain root, you can then S-off. At least until the Sunshine team finds a temp-root exploit.

If you are wondering, yes, this is the opposite of how it worked previously.

Thanks a ton! Yep, it's 100% bone stock. Other than firing it up to see which version it was running, I haven't used it yet since I was waiting for a new laptop power brick so I could do all this stuff.

Crazy how it went backwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Superguy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2015, 03:25 PM |#307  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 259

More
Ok, here is my dilemma, sent my phone in for repair.. I was rooted, s-off, unlocked..

The folks at HTC decided to relock the bootloader but left the phone SOFF w/stock recovery. I have no root, when I open SuperSU says no binary. I tried this method and when I type 'su' at command prompt I am not getting the # and the unlock command says Permission Denied. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread