FORUMS

OnePlus 2 Announced: Specs, Price and Details

The OnePlus 2 has just had its Virtual Reality Launch event, and at the XDA Office we all … more

A Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services

With the launch of Apple Music, music streaming services have recently gained a lot of … more

An Inside Look at the Redesign of Business Calendar

The much-acclaimed calendar app, Business Calendar, underwent a major design … more

New Android One Device Dead On Arrival

Today, Google announced the second generation of Android One devices, with the new Lava Pixel … more

Is this tablet recoverable? wants encryption password on boot

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By arsenic0, Junior Member on 22nd April 2014, 03:30 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
1st July 2015, 04:24 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 355

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by witneyl@yahoo.com

Amazon are telling me now my Kindle was rooted, even though I explain that it was never connected to any network, and no apps were installed on it, just copied some book files from my PC using a USB cable. That's it. Isn't there some kind of re-format, other than reset to factory settings?

If 'reset to factory' did not work then I'm afraid you are out of luck unless you can convince Amazon to offer an exchange. The device may have been rooted if purchased from a 3rd party. That does not explain why it suddenly 'locked' nor what tool/app is throwing up the password prompt.

1st July 2015, 04:39 AM |#12  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

If 'reset to factory' did not work then I'm afraid you are out of luck unless you can convince Amazon to offer an exchange. The device may have been rooted if purchased from a 3rd party. That does not explain why it suddenly 'locked' nor what tool/app is throwing up the password prompt.

The device was bought from Amazon, not a 3rd party, and it was working fine until my mom let it sit for several months without charging. Which should not have been a problem, but facts sho otherwise
1st July 2015, 04:46 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 355

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by witneyl@yahoo.com

The device was bought from Amazon, not a 3rd party, and it was working fine until my mom let it sit for several months without charging. Which should not have been a problem, but facts sho otherwise

You should pound on Amazon for a replacement - especially since they falsely accused you of having a rooted device (how do they know that?). I'm guessing the device may have received an 'over-the-air' upgrade while it was sitting idle but perhaps lacked sufficient charge to complete the update. Or the upgrade just went bad; rare but it happens.

Sorry this happened to your mom. Also regret there is not a (reasonable) way to recover the device and/or its contents.
1st July 2015, 04:58 AM |#14  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

You should pound on Amazon for a replacement - especially since they falsely accused you of having a rooted device (how do they know that?). I'm guessing the device may have received an 'over-the-air' upgrade while it was sitting idle but perhaps lacked sufficient charge to complete the update. Or the upgrade just went bad; rare but it happens.

Sorry this happened to your mom. Also regret there is not a (reasonable) way to recover the device and/or its contents.

Thanks for trying
I think it will be cheaper to buy a new kindle, new warranty, new features, etc.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread