Analysis & Opinion

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
29th March 2015, 01:56 PM |#131  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastecklein

Forum Fiend is officially dead.

Just got my cease and desist letter from Tapatalk, Inc. I'll probably comply vs trying to fight it. Its been a good run though .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forum Fiend v1.3.4.

sorry to ear this man... thanks for your work

29th March 2015, 02:11 PM |#132  
Thanks Meter: 1,450

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastecklein

Forum Fiend is officially dead.

Just got my cease and desist letter from Tapatalk, Inc. I'll probably comply vs trying to fight it. Its been a good run though .

This is sad news. I'd like to thank you for all your efforts - this was really becoming a good alternative to TT but alas fighting with giants isn't fun Thanks again @bastecklein
30th March 2015, 01:24 AM |#133  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex

They received $5800000 of venture capital funding last year

Yikes. That's a big wad of cash.

Quote:

Which open source license was the Tapatalk API released under when you first started work on Forum Fiend? Depending which one they used, then surely they cannot suddenly decide to restrict access to it with arbitrary changes to their terms of service. Some real underhanded stuff from Tapatalk Inc here.

Would be interesting to see the history of the license. I wonder what it was based on. Many licenses can be changed/revoked but several cannot. You may not be able to use new features implemented under the new license, but the old terms would still apply.

So I guess the XDA apps are under the BYO license?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog

Would be interesting to see the history of the license.

I see this from July 2013 (since you were looking in the summer of '13) and it was basically unchanged throughout 2013.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130702...om/api/api.php
Quote:

App Development

Tapatalk API also allows you to develop your own app that works with any Tapatalk-activated forum system. This is especially useful if you are running a large community and would like to develop your own app. It allows you:

To add additional features to your existing app that need integration with your existing forum system. For example Single Sign-On.
To develop mobile app similar to what Tapatalk team has developed

I don't see any mention there of an underlying OSS license it was modeled after. Nothing in there about changing the terms either.

Don't see where they can revoke the previous license that you developed under, as you did nothing for them to revoke it over.
30th June 2015, 06:14 PM |#134  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
All is not lost as code for v1.3.3 exists on https://github.com/abartmatozu/forum-fiend-osp. Despite the description, it is not an official repo and there isn't any "Forum Fiend" code on @bastecklein's github. The theme activity needs to be added to the AndroidManifest.xml otherwise it will crash when changing the theme. There's no issue tracker there, so I suppose we just have to wait until somebody else forks it under a free software licence. I understand there are forks on Google Play already. Of course, eventually there will need to be free implementation to the Tapatalk API: that's discussed elsewhere: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...maybe-t2940632. In the mean time, it works great.

P.S I just donated to @bastecklein on the basis of this app but for future donations to be possible the source code would better be published to @bastecklein's own account at Github. I doubt if f-droid.org will include a donation URL when they publish it and there aren't any obvious URLs in the existing source code itself.

P.P.S Tapatalk terms are now at https://tapatalk.com/api.php.
Last edited by dabl8; 30th June 2015 at 06:39 PM.
1st July 2015, 01:19 PM |#135  
Thanks Meter: 1,147

More
I'm wondering why this was not on xda portal page yet...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread