FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[RECOVERY] TWRP touch recovery 2.8.5.0 [HTC Dumlock for S-ON]

4,697 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,842

By Flyhalf205, Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer on 24th September 2012, 05:29 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
26th March 2015, 06:42 PM |#751  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin

No, you need to be in fastboot not recovery...

Remove battery and reinsert, hold Power + Vol Dn, then when Hboot menu comes up scroll to Fastboot and press Power button to select. There should be a red banner above it that then says FASTBOOT USB or something like that (it's been a while) and connect USB cable. At this point fastboot devices should show your device connected, if it doesn't then you probably have a driver issue. The fact that you can access the storage volumes when the phone is fully booted is not a sign the drivers are correct, the storage volumes are accessed via the standard drivers for USB Storage devices that come with Windows, Fastboot/ADB drivers are not included with Windows but typically come from HTC Sync software, you install the software, make sure device is recognized in both ADB and Fastboot modes, then remove HTC Sync (the drivers stay).

Backing up a little here... Are you S-ON or S-OFF? If you are S-OFF just download the ZIP from the TWRP download side and flash it in your current recovery (this won't work if you are S-ON)

Ah yes.
I forgot to put the PHONE into fastboot. I just left it sitting at the home screen of the recovery.
Now I've successfully got 2.8.5.0 recovery on the phone.

Now trying to get CyanogenMod 11.
So far I can't get any further than 10.1.
Even 10.2 hangs at the bootup screen.
11 does nothing at all.

I'm not sure that I have the correct gapps for either.

I'm also not doing the MD5 thing.
I think I may have done that the first time I rooted the phone.
Haven't done it since.

Is that critical?

Thanks for your help!
B
The Following User Says Thank You to DaDroidDude For This Useful Post: [ View ]

26th March 2015, 07:02 PM |#752  
Flag Bismarck, ND
Thanks Meter: 695

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDroidDude

Ah yes.
I forgot to put the PHONE into fastboot. I just left it sitting at the home screen of the recovery.
Now I've successfully got 2.8.5.0 recovery on the phone.

Now trying to get CyanogenMod 11.
So far I can't get any further than 10.1.
Even 10.2 hangs at the bootup screen.
11 does nothing at all.

I'm not sure that I have the correct gapps for either.

I'm also not doing the MD5 thing.
I think I may have done that the first time I rooted the phone.
Haven't done it since.

Is that critical?

Thanks for your help!
B

You have to flash boot.img manually with fastboot or she won't boot... The wonders of HTC "security"
26th March 2015, 08:06 PM |#753  

More
Quote:

You have to flash boot.img manually with fastboot or she won't boot... The wonders of HTC "security"

So I noticed that there is a boot.img file in the downloads for the CM-11.
Does that have to be flashed in addition to installing the cm-11-20150225-unofficial-vigor.zip in order for the ROM to run?

Is checking the MD5 thing critical?
26th March 2015, 09:20 PM |#754  
Flag Bismarck, ND

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So I noticed that there is a boot.img file in the downloads for the CM-11.
Does that have to be flashed in addition to installing the cm-11-20150225-unofficial-vigor.zip in order for the ROM to run?

Is checking the MD5 thing critical?

The MD5 thing is a way of verifying the file you download is an exact copy of the original as the author intended. IMHO, If there are issues, you should verify it but to be honest, I rarely do.

The proper way to do this, would be to open the archive you are flashing and extract the boot.img file and place it in your fastboot directory on your PC, then reboot the phone into Fastboot mode and flash the boot.img manually with the command:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

The reason for this is recovery cannot write to the boot partition when the device is S-ON and recovery is started from the phone, it is write protected to "secure" the phone. The problem is most custom roms need specific kernels (the boot.img) and on HTC devices you must flash the ROM in recovery, then reboot into Hboot and start fastboot and manually flash the boot.img file, then reboot and the device should boot properly. Remember to give the device sufficient time for it's initial boot, it can sometimes exceed 5 minutes, and Lollipop based ROMs can take 10-15 minutes to boot the first time.

EDIT: The alternative/work-around to this is to BOOT recovery from Fastboot, then recovery can write to the boot partition... use the command 'fastboot boot recovery.img' and in a few seconds TWRP should start, then flash the ZIP, this will avoid the requirement to manually flash the boot.img

Also, since you are making a major change in code, you should be wiping your device (/system, /data, and caches) before flashing the ROM, this will allow for a clean flash but will you will lose all apps and configuration.
Last edited by acejavelin; 26th March 2015 at 09:29 PM.
27th March 2015, 04:29 AM |#755  

More
Quote:

The MD5 thing is a way of verifying the file you download is an exact copy of the original as the author intended. IMHO, If there are issues, you should verify it but to be honest, I rarely do.

The proper way to do this, would be to open the archive you are flashing and extract the boot.img file and place it in your fastboot directory on your PC, then reboot the phone into Fastboot mode and flash the boot.img manually with the command:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

The reason for this is recovery cannot write to the boot partition when the device is S-ON and recovery is started from the phone, it is write protected to "secure" the phone. The problem is most custom roms need specific kernels (the boot.img) and on HTC devices you must flash the ROM in recovery, then reboot into Hboot and start fastboot and manually flash the boot.img file, then reboot and the device should boot properly. Remember to give the device sufficient time for it's initial boot, it can sometimes exceed 5 minutes, and Lollipop based ROMs can take 10-15 minutes to boot the first time.

EDIT: The alternative/work-around to this is to BOOT recovery from Fastboot, then recovery can write to the boot partition... use the command 'fastboot boot recovery.img' and in a few seconds TWRP should start, then flash the ZIP, this will avoid the requirement to manually flash the boot.img

Also, since you are making a major change in code, you should be wiping your device (/system, /data, and caches) before flashing the ROM, this will allow for a clean flash but will you will lose all apps and configuration.

Excellent advice!
Done.
Now I'm having a problem installing the gapps.
Everything else looks okay but I can't find a "standard" gapps to install on the rezound.
Everything I find is for different phones, newer phones or tablets.

Thanks
B
27th March 2015, 04:39 AM |#756  
Flag Bismarck, ND

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Excellent advice!
Done.
Now I'm having a problem installing the gapps.
Everything else looks okay but I can't find a "standard" gapps to install on the rezound.
Everything I find is for different phones, newer phones or tablets.

Thanks
B

Gapps are not device specific, you just need KitKat Gapps... You can use CM, PA, Banks, or any other generic KitKat Gapps package.
27th March 2015, 05:20 AM |#757  

More
Quote:

Gapps are not device specific, you just need KitKat Gapps... You can use CM, PA, Banks, or any other generic KitKat Gapps package.

Ah.
Good to know.
So I've tried this
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358550083
and this
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=f...62a5008b90737d

Both give the same error:
E: Error executing uptater binary in zip '/sdcar d\ (gapps filename)

I can successfully boot into 11 but there is no play store.
I can install the gapps after installing the ROM right?
I did do a full wipe beforehand, btw.

B

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Okay, well it said that the gapps install failed but now I have a play store and it's updating.

Interestingly, it downloaded all my contacts but did not automatically download all my apps like previous ROMs.

But it seems like it's working.
YAY!!

Thank you all so much for your help!

This is still a really cool phone!

B
27th March 2015, 05:42 AM |#758  
Flag Bismarck, ND

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ah.
Good to know.
So I've tried this
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358550083
and this
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=f...62a5008b90737d

Both give the same error:
E: Error executing uptater binary in zip '/sdcar d\ (gapps filename)

I can successfully boot into 11 but there is no play store.
I can install the gapps after installing the ROM right?
I did do a full wipe beforehand, btw.

B

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Okay, well it said that the gapps install failed but now I have a play store and it's updating.

Interestingly, it downloaded all my contacts but did not automatically download all my apps like previous ROMs.

But it seems like it's working.
YAY!!

Thank you all so much for your help!

This is still a really cool phone!

B

OK, so for some reason those Gapps packages ARE device specific... You should only get Gapps from official sources:

CM Official Gapps http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps
SlimROM Gapps http://forum.xda-developers.com/slim...imkat-t2792842 (Second post)
AOKP Gapps https://basketbuild.com/devs/championswimmer/gapps/
LiquidSmooth Gapps http://www.drdevs.com/devs/teamliquid/Gapps/kitkat/

Hmm... It seems Paranoid Android and BaNKs Gapps are gone... very odd. Looks like some chest thumping between the devs again.

Be aware that with the increasing size of ROMs and Gapps packages, some full packages or "stock" packages might be too large for the Rezound's system partition, causing the error.
27th March 2015, 06:31 AM |#759  

More
Quote:

OK, so for some reason those Gapps packages ARE device specific... You should only get Gapps from official sources:

CM Official Gapps http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps
SlimROM Gapps http://forum.xda-developers.com/slim...imkat-t2792842 (Second post)
AOKP Gapps https://basketbuild.com/devs/championswimmer/gapps/
LiquidSmooth Gapps http://www.drdevs.com/devs/teamliquid/Gapps/kitkat/

Hmm... It seems Paranoid Android and BaNKs Gapps are gone... very odd. Looks like some chest thumping between the devs again.

Be aware that with the increasing size of ROMs and Gapps packages, some full packages or "stock" packages might be too large for the Rezound's system partition, causing the error.

Cool.
I tried the Cyanogen link.
Both failed.
The Liquid Smooth gapps app did install successfully!

Then it didn't want to connect to google.

So I wiped everything again since I'd installed a different gapps the first time.
Reinstalled the ROM and the liquid gapps and now it's working fine, automatically downloading all my apps.

Wow!
That was quite a process.

Good thing I love this phone.

Thank you again.
Good luck to all.

B
The Following User Says Thank You to DaDroidDude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2015, 05:28 PM |#760  
Flag Massillon
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Flyhalf,

Any chance that the Rezound could get an update to the latest TWRP since Chuck just posted an update to his ROM? Just curious!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
recovery, rezound, teamwin, twrp, vigor

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)