FORUMS

From Desktop to Android Development

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By VirginiaFarm, Junior Member on 28th January 2014, 05:27 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
From Desktop and Web to Android Devices : I Need Help

For over twenty years I have developed apps using Borland's Delphi and BDS development tools. I now want to migrate a subset of that functionality to Android devices ... but need help getting over the learning curve hump.

The general particulars are:

1. Master-Detail, content management. Multiple detail data tables for each master record.

2. Image gallery. See all images in the gallery or only those images which have been linked to a master record.

3. Taking a pic and linking it to a master record.

4. Ability to query for local businesses ... such as "Find <business name> within <x miles> of my current GPS location.

I currently have Eclipse and the latest ADK tools installed. Also, I have some Java experience.

Is there a place I can go to find a baseline source code framework that satisfies these requirements and demonstrates how to store and manage the master and detail data and links?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at patrickwilliamallen@comcast.net

Many thanks, from an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Patrick

29th December 2014, 01:07 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
In my opinion, the best way for not a game development is using Xamarin platform. Xamarin is pretty good, but it's not a free.
31st December 2014, 08:54 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
All I can provide is the hard way : stick to a place like stackoverflow.com + the android official documentation.
You'll find tons of content relating to your question ; I'm sure about that.
19th June 2015, 08:25 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaFarm

From Desktop and Web to Android Devices : I Need Help

For over twenty years I have developed apps using Borland's Delphi and BDS development tools. I now want to migrate a subset of that functionality to Android devices ... but need help getting over the learning curve hump.

The general particulars are:

1. Master-Detail, content management. Multiple detail data tables for each master record.

2. Image gallery. See all images in the gallery or only those images which have been linked to a master record.

3. Taking a pic and linking it to a master record.

4. Ability to query for local businesses ... such as "Find <business name> within <x miles> of my current GPS location.

I currently have Eclipse and the latest ADK tools installed. Also, I have some Java experience.

Is there a place I can go to find a baseline source code framework that satisfies these requirements and demonstrates how to store and manage the master and detail data and links?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at patrickwilliamallen@comcast.net

Many thanks, from an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Patrick

The offical Android Tutorials are a great place to start.
6th July 2015, 03:33 AM |#5  

More
I've found that if you start by trying to build something that you have in the past but target it at Android you'll learn a lot about the framework, its quirks, and how to do things maybe a little bit better than what you'll sometimes find on various sites. I second that Android's docs and tutorials are a great place to start, but you could take them and piece something together right from the start. It's also a great way to see how your project will work and perform on a real device running the Dalvik or ART VM FWIW, you'll notice that things will perform MUCH better with ART.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)