FORUMS

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

Snopow M8 - root and OTA fix

39 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By bbkr, Member on 8th June 2014, 11:23 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
31st October 2014, 04:28 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey, what did you do for a firmware on the Snopow? There are now many differences with the NVRAM, G-APPs, etc. Even the battery life is htat since changed.

20th November 2014, 09:33 PM |#12  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Sign
Phone finally came back. Flashlight fixed. They even noticed broken screw that I overtightened and fixed that also.
As for long wait time - it turned out that it was held by customs most of the time on the border.
So their tech service is good. Keep it this way guys
But today I sold it, making room for CAT S50.

Would I recommend this phone?
Well, It was the most annoying phone I've ever owned. Early revision ROM was to blame - I had early V4 version while current is V39. The guy I sold the phone to had access to some old Windows machine so we upgraded to V31 2014-08-01, which is considered most stable. And phone got way better in literally every aspect! So they are improving.

BTW: They don't really upload new ROMs to ota.mediatek.com server. Phone connects there but they do not use it. Too bad, because most negative feedback could be avoided by providing updates. If you buy this phone you are on your own to find new firmware on Russian forum and figure out SP FlashTool process in case of bugs.

Good bye Snopow users.
26th June 2015, 11:51 AM |#13  

More
Battery Full snopow overall with enggineering code
I got snopow m8+ recently overall impressions are VERY good, here I wont write how rugged it is because there are bunch of youtube videos about that, so I write my OTHER impressions which I did not find on popular sites.
Good sides:
fast response in use, nice and configurable user interface, no bloatware (unnecessary and never used programs which you cannot remove) nice looking, excellent bag to carry phone on belt
nice looking wireless charger. My version don’t have youtube bug. External antenna connector on phone is really good because it don’t affect water resistance (it seems it is sealed so you can use it in heavy rain!!!)
Neither bad or good, just my taste and observations:
SOS button should be programmable as well as other hard buttons. Lanyard carry hole/bar should be on top on the phone, not on bottom, weight is around 299g.
Factory charger cannot deliver more than 1A current? I tested current both with hardware ampermeter/voltmeter and also with battery monitor widget. When I charge it on wireless, it draws about 350mA, on USB charge it draws about 550mA.To access engineering mode type *#*#3646633#*#* within dialer(BE CAREFUL, write down ANY changes!!!). External antenna is NOT connected with GSM, 3G, FM radio, wi-fi hardware parts on phone so it is used only for walkie-talkie (as I know, but I am not expert, it can be really used at least for FM radio). I don’t know, if external antenna is connected with bluetooh hardware or GPS, I suppose not.
BAD:
Telephone comed with broken pin on primary SIM card slot (so it did not worked). I fixed this issue within local phone service for 20 euros. Now both SIM work flawlessly. I asked rooted phone because I KNEW that there is not so much space within phone memory to put many offline GPS maps(rooting is a must if you intend to swap phone memory and SD card). Phone DID NOT come rooted so I rooted it myself with kingoroot from PC.
Programs which REALLY need newer/better versions(since I cannot find alternatives on apk stores):
ptt program to use as walkie-talkie could be more user friendly and with more options
If I loose/break external antenna and I wish replacement, it have ridiculous shipping fee on aliexpress of ~850 euros!!! for something that cost 8 euros!
also there is no usb plug replacement if i break existing one...
Last edited by djeremic; 26th June 2015 at 02:56 PM.
26th June 2015, 01:33 PM |#14  

More
Tutorial what i used from engineering menu and more
when i type in dialer menu that engineering code i noticed in previous post, i disabled networks that are not supported in my country(i left active only 900, 1800 and 2100 MHz bands-i live in eastern Europe) that should save some battery life.
Other things within that menu i did not changed although i try both to turn off FM radio and reprogram it to 88.9MHz which i did not succed.
P.S. engineering menu do not require rooted phone.
please, someone should make app for better usage of built in walkie talkie
8th July 2015, 11:43 AM |#15  

More
Plug another useful tips for snopow m8+
screenshoot= vol down+power for ~2sec at same time
entering bootloader= do hardware reset with dedicated button, then volume up+ power on for like 2-4sec
Last edited by djeremic; 8th July 2015 at 12:07 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread