Micro SD card suddenly unreadable

Search This thread

roperband

Dec 21, 2010
I have scoured the other forums, but I wanted to post a thread with my exact symptoms. Last night, my phone just stopped recognizing my micro sd card, which unfortunately contained some important data. I tried the card in other devices and it is not recognized in them either. It's as if the card is not even there. At this point, I could probably contact samsung or sandisk and get a replacement card, but more importantly is extracting the data. Is there a program or method I can use to capture the data from the card even if it's not being recognized. I don't have access to sd card reader, but I could pick one up if necessary. Currently, plugging the phone into a computer does not show the card as existing at all, much less reading any data. Any advice is appreciated.

Avail211

Jul 4, 2013
I had the exact same thing happen about a month ago. The card said 'ejected, safe to remove' or something along those lines at some random time. I took the card out and neither of my 3 computers would read the card. It didn't error, it just did NOTHING, like it didn't exist. The only thing I cared about were the pics so I tried 3 different adapters, still didn't work. I ended up cleaning the contacts with alcohol (TINY bit on a q-tip) and put the adapter in the reader, THEN the micro SD card. After about a dozen times inserting/removing it finally read the stupid card. I pulled the pics and did a full reformat in windows (unchecked quick format) scanned it for bad blocks and formatted again after putting it back in the phone. I set google to autobackup my pics to G+ now. It hasn't done it since but I definitely won't trust my SD card with anything I can't easily replace or isn't constantly backed up.

Reactions: theenlightened1

Bartbig

Dec 6, 2012
Helmond
I had the exact same thing happen about a month ago. The card said 'ejected, safe to remove' or something along those lines at some random time. I took the card out and neither of my 3 computers would read the card. It didn't error, it just did NOTHING, like it didn't exist. The only thing I cared about were the pics so I tried 3 different adapters, still didn't work. I ended up cleaning the contacts with alcohol (TINY bit on a q-tip) and put the adapter in the reader, THEN the micro SD card. After about a dozen times inserting/removing it finally read the stupid card. I pulled the pics and did a full reformat in windows (unchecked quick format) scanned it for bad blocks and formatted again after putting it back in the phone. I set google to autobackup my pics to G+ now. It hasn't done it since but I definitely won't trust my SD card with anything I can't easily replace or isn't constantly backed up.

Try Flickr for backup online, you have 1 Terra-byte space there. @ Google+ it's 1G

http://www.flickr.com/

(for uploading there are several options, i use the one below, but other work fine to i think.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tomdog.android.flickruploader.pro

Have fun

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty_smurf45

dibeachdude

Jan 30, 2009
Dauphin Island, AL
I don't think the sdcard socket works very well on these phones. My sdcard stayed to act up, and when I opened up the phone, I found it unplugged. I know it was firmly seated when I installed it. Days could easily get corrupted if the card has a flaky connection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LaughingDog9

erinkb17

Mar 9, 2014
I just had this same issue happen to me a few weeks back. My mico SD inexplicably unmounted from my phone, tried to plug it into my computer using my SD adapter and it acted as if nothing at all was plugged in. I did a google search and found some recommended programs to try and retrieve data from corrupted SD cards, but nothing worked since the computer wouldn't even recognize anything was plugged in. I tried plugging it into my netbook, my Mac computer at work, one of those photo lab machines at Target--nothing would recognize there was a card plugged in. I was distraught because I hadn't thought to backup my photos in months, and I did not want to lose them.

However in my searching for a solution, I saw many people mention Recoverfab (recoverfab.com), a professional in Germany who has a good success rate at recovering data from these SD cards that won't mount. I was sold the minute I saw that if he is not able to recover your data, there is no charge. I contacted him and filled out the order form. Shipping from the midwest, my card got to him in little over a week and he had my photos recovered the very next day. Depending on the size of the card it can get a little pricey, but for me it was well worth getting all my pictures back. I'm going to be sure to set my google+ account to backup my pictures going forward now, but if I ever had something like this happen again I would use Recoverfab again without hesitation.

I hope this helps, and good luck on retrieving your data!

Reactions: ewa12321

Richard Luis

Feb 7, 2014
Thanks for sharing the manual ways and providing information about other product. Moreover, I need to suggest Remo Recover tool that is capable enough to restore data from unreadable Micro SD card.

JASONRR

May 16, 2013
I hope you have managed to recover your data as I can understand your situation as I was scratching my head a few days ago in a similar situation. After doing a lot of googling, I was able to recover the SD card with the entire data and am using the same micro sd card without formatting.

My card was not showing at all on any of my laptops and on the phone it stated blank SD card.

Step 1
You can attempt to fix it using the desktop windows' built-in chkdsk utility.
Open up command prompt (start->run->cmd.exe) and type
chkdsk /X /F
My SD card reader is F:\ drive, so i used the following command:
chkdsk /X /F F:

Either it may ask you to repair and you may follow the instructions or it may say chkdsk is not available for raw files (this is the message I got not to worry as the sd card at least shows up)

Step 2

Download the Windows version of TestDisk.http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
(free software)
Unzip the downloaded file to your C: drive and open C:\testdisk-7.0-WIP > right click " testdisk_win.exe" and select run as administrator (the program doesn't have to be installed).

This may take time, even hours depending on the size of your SD card, so be patient.

A. At the first window select “No Log” and press Enter.
B. Select what drive to analyse, choose “Proceed” and press Enter.
C. Select partition type – option 2 - EFI GPT and press Enter
D. Confirm at "Analyse" with Enter to proceed. The drive/partition will be analysed.
E. Confirm at "Quick Search" with Enter to proceed.
F. TestDisk should say “Structure OK”. Choose the drive/partition to fix. (OPTIONAL: Press*p*to list your files - here you can copy your files to the pc; Files listed in red are deleted entries. Go back to the previous display)
G. Press enter to proceed.
H. Select “Write” and press Enter
I. Press “Y”.
J. Press and close TestDisk. Reboot the computer.

Hope this helps and do let me know

Sent from my GT-I9295 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Albergman

Nov 3, 2014
SD card unusable

Hi

New user here
I have a 32 Gb micro SD (SP Elite) that has suddenly become unusable. It has no data on it that I can't afford to lose.
I use it in my Galaxy Tab S tablet as a place to store ebooks, music, movies etc when I travel so all can be replaced easily.
I believe the problem started when I had the tablet plugged into my PC and I deleted some files from the SD at that time. Ever since then the card is unusable. The tablet doesn't see it any more with its own file manager but if I install it into a USB-micro SD holder and then to my computer I can at least see it but I'm told I need to "format this card before using".

A "quick" format fails immediately and a long format runs till the green bar gets to 100%, long pause, more flickering lights on SD holder then fails.

I`ve tried the CHKDSK but that says unavailable for RAW drives.

Tried several free recovery programs but most just want to help recover files.

My best hope seemed to be the TestDisk program and I`ve trying various things but I`m out of my depth with many of the options.

On my first run through it found no partitions so I tried setting one up starting from 1 and ending at the number it suggested. I then went back to the PC and tried a long format that went all the way to the end before failing (see above).

Second attempt:

I start TestDisk, select No Log, identified the SD card, selected partition type INTEL/PC, ANALYSE.

Now I have some result ...

Invalid FAT boot sector
1P FAT32 LBA 0 130 3 3852 227 23 61888512
No partition is bootable

I suspect I might just have to create a boot sector but I'll hold off in the hope that someone will offer some help.

I could easily replace this card as it's not that expensive but it seems they fail fairly frequently so I'd like to learn how to recover one if possible.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: dasnitin

Albergman

Nov 3, 2014
SD card problem resolved

Problem turned out to be with a USB hub I was using. Just for "fun" I tried the SD in a USB port at the rear of my desktop and it formatted!!!!

Files copied with no problem and are recoverable/readable.

Happy camper

Hi

New user here
I have a 32 Gb micro SD (SP Elite) that has suddenly become unusable. It has no data on it that I can't afford to lose.
I use it in my Galaxy Tab S tablet as a place to store ebooks, music, movies etc when I travel so all can be replaced easily.
I believe the problem started when I had the tablet plugged into my PC and I deleted some files from the SD at that time. Ever since then the card is unusable. The tablet doesn't see it any more with its own file manager but if I install it into a USB-micro SD holder and then to my computer I can at least see it but I'm told I need to "format this card before using".

A "quick" format fails immediately and a long format runs till the green bar gets to 100%, long pause, more flickering lights on SD holder then fails.

I`ve tried the CHKDSK but that says unavailable for RAW drives.

Tried several free recovery programs but most just want to help recover files.

My best hope seemed to be the TestDisk program and I`ve trying various things but I`m out of my depth with many of the options.

On my first run through it found no partitions so I tried setting one up starting from 1 and ending at the number it suggested. I then went back to the PC and tried a long format that went all the way to the end before failing (see above).

Second attempt:

I start TestDisk, select No Log, identified the SD card, selected partition type INTEL/PC, ANALYSE.

Now I have some result ...

Invalid FAT boot sector
No partition is bootable

I suspect I might just have to create a boot sector but I'll hold off in the hope that someone will offer some help.

I could easily replace this card as it's not that expensive but it seems they fail fairly frequently so I'd like to learn how to recover one if possible.

Thanks

abroach

Jan 14, 2015
Help with "blank" sd card

I am trying this method on my daughter's SD card that stopped working today. It won't even show up in her phone, my phone, or my PC. I have gotten to step F, but mine comes back saying "The following partition can't be recovered" and it listed one partition. What can I do from here?

Help please all my daughters photos are on this SD card and she would really like to recover them.
Thanks

Step 2

This may take time, even hours depending on the size of your SD card, so be patient.

D. Confirm at "Analyse" with Enter to proceed. The drive/partition will be analysed.
F. TestDisk should say “Structure OK”. Choose the drive/partition to fix. (OPTIONAL: Press*p*to list your files - here you can copy your files to the pc; Files listed in red are deleted entries. Go back to the previous display)
I. Press “Y”.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using XDA Free mobile app[/QUOTE]

JASONRR

May 16, 2013
I am trying this method on my daughter's SD card that stopped working today. It won't even show up in her phone, my phone, or my PC. I have gotten to step F, but mine comes back saying "The following partition can't be recovered" and it listed one partition. What can I do from here?

Help please all my daughters photos are on this SD card and she would really like to recover them.
Thanks

Step 2

I. Press “Y”.

[/QUOTE]

How many partitions did it list. If it listed more than one then try the other one. At point F you could try typing P and list the files and check if these are the correct files if yes you have an option to copy them to computer as well.

Last edited:

TheGr8One

Jan 22, 2015
Type of alcohol?

Hey i was just wondering what type of alcohol you used? :)

Reactions: Spicey

tm7170

Jun 15, 2013
Help for testdisk error

How many partitions did it list. If it listed more than one then try the other one. At point F you could try typing P and list the files and check if these are the correct files if yes you have an option to copy them to computer as well.[/QUOTE]

I got this error, can anyone tell me if I can go anywhere from here?
Analyze cylinder 8/1992 : 00%
Read error at 7/230/32 (lba = 126976)

ZoneBlaze

Mar 16, 2009
I have a similar issue... My S3 stopped reading my sd card last night and I've been scouring the internet ever since trying to find a solution. At the moment, None of my devices can read it.
If I plug it into my computer, right clicking the card freezes explorer and I have to pull it out otherwise it crashes explorer after a while.
Opening the testdisk program would leave it scanning indefinitely. (Please wait.........)
edit:I'll try leaving it in my computer for a few days. Because I tried overnight. T_T

Formatting doesn't seem like an option because I can't interact with it in any way from my computer :(

I've tried Testdisk and Zar but to no avail.

Last edited:

dasnitin

Jan 13, 2008
SATX
Where do we go now?

Problem turned out to be with a USB hub I was using. Just for "fun" I tried the SD in a USB port at the rear of my desktop and it formatted!!!!

Files copied with no problem and are recoverable/readable.

Happy camper
@Albergman - What happened to your higher calling of finding a fix for the problem??:confused: You bowed out with formatting the card. As I read your post, I was hoping that you would be a god-send since your problem seemed identical to what I am having now. Main difference however, I want to save my data - so unlike you, formatting is not an option for me(not the first one at least). I have tons of games progress data and car maintenance data (very precious) that would hurt me to see lost (looking for suggestions for back up options for these app related data).
So far, I have tried zar and recovered pics and videos (which are already backed up automatically). Ran the TestDisk for detecting partition but took a long time (64GB card) and the PC restarted to install Windows updates http://cdn3.xda-developers.com/images/smilies/mad.gif . Will try that again, maybe later.
So now trying out the partition recovery on zar. It has detected the file system (fat32) but the offset is 0kb, which is concerning. But I will let it complete the process and remain hopeful.
Hope to get this resolved with the help from the community.

Update:
The Zar partition recovery mode seems stalled at 99%. Will have to use the task manager to kill it.

Last edited:

dasnitin

Jan 13, 2008
SATX
Error with Zar

Repeated the attempt to recover partition with Zar but got an error - Unable to continue: Unsupported filesystem (see screenshot). Can anyone suggest anything that I can go other than format?

Tayhan

Aug 28, 2012
Jersey
SD card is unformattable and yields "invalid media or track 0 bad "

So i posted a thread a few hours ago and a user directed me to this thread. I am going to try this tomorrow on my friends SD card when he gets into work but do you think this will work with the problem i'm having? as a refresher, whenever he inserts his SD card into his computer it says it must be formatted, which then goes on to fail(just like all of you in this thread) when he inserts it into his GS4 active or my GS4 it says "mount" but never mounts. I've tried programs and cmd ideas but nothing worked as well. I've attached my thread for reference but i will check in tomorrow and update how this method went. Fingers crossed

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-acti...ds-invalid-t3153717/post61781525#post61781525

Spicey

Dec 30, 2012
Philadelphia
Hey i was just wondering what type of alcohol you used? :)

I just had the same problem. The card was detected but wouldn't read in my GN4 and wasn't recognized in the reader on the desktop. Swabbed it with a little alcohol and was able to view on the computer but not the phone. Backing it up as I type to reformat and restore a few files to see what happens.
Thanks for the tip! :good: :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope you have managed to recover your data as I can understand your situation as I was scratching my head a few days ago in a similar situation. After doing a lot of googling, I was able to recover the SD card with the entire data and am using the same micro sd card without formatting.

My card was not showing at all on any of my laptops and on the phone it stated blank SD card.

Step 1
    You can attempt to fix it using the desktop windows' built-in chkdsk utility.
    Open up command prompt (start->run->cmd.exe) and type
    chkdsk /X /F
    My SD card reader is F:\ drive, so i used the following command:
    chkdsk /X /F F:

Either it may ask you to repair and you may follow the instructions or it may say chkdsk is not available for raw files (this is the message I got not to worry as the sd card at least shows up)

Step 2

Download the Windows version of TestDisk.http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    (free software)
    Unzip the downloaded file to your C: drive and open C:\testdisk-7.0-WIP > right click " testdisk_win.exe" and select run as administrator (the program doesn't have to be installed).

I. Press “Y”.

There are a lot of programs out there that you could use to attempt recovery of the files. I was able to recover a lot of data on a friend's micro sd card a few years ago. There is a pretty good article here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/3481659/how-get-files-off-corrupt-sd-card/

Best of luck to you.

Try Flickr for backup online, you have 1 Terra-byte space there. @ Google+ it's 1G

http://www.flickr.com/

(for uploading there are several options, i use the one below, but other work fine to i think.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tomdog.android.flickruploader.pro

Have fun
    I don't think the sdcard socket works very well on these phones. My sdcard stayed to act up, and when I opened up the phone, I found it unplugged. I know it was firmly seated when I installed it. Days could easily get corrupted if the card has a flaky connection.