FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

[APP][4.0.3+] TimePIN - Changes your pin dynamically based on the current time

4,719 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,331

By jcase, Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor on 8th February 2014, 04:02 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
21st May 2015, 11:27 PM |#501  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 130

More
the thing is ... always-on encryption was scrapped by google after all the backlash, so TimePIN could simply disable itself if it detects that encryption is on, as it did before

xposed for lollipop is a huge difference ... rovo has chosen to modify the art libraries AND art compiler itself which has huge implications going forward like if/when google modifies a library or the compiler

I have seen other apps use the same systemAdmin permission as TimePIN to modify lockscreen pin and function properly under lollipop (altho nowhere near as nicely as TimePIN) ... so I would think that if TimePIN was re-packaged under sdk 22, then it should work just as smoothly under lollipop 5.1 as it does under kitkat .. with same systemAdmin permission ... for non-encrypted devices, of course

the real issue is how backward-compatible TimePIN has to be (within the same package apk)

I am hopeful that jcase will have the time to give it a try

this app is the only thing that I miss from kitkat
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cLogic For This Useful Post: [ View ]

21st May 2015, 11:44 PM |#502  
Recognized Contributor
Flag 40.75659 N 73.98626 W
Thanks Meter: 1,737

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLogic

I am hopeful that jcase will have the time to give it a try

*That* is the big question! Time & interest, both of which change...

-----
* Never look up when the dragon flies overhead...
31st May 2015, 04:33 PM |#503  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So, recently I upgraded my Nexus 4 from 4.4.4 KitKat to 5.0 Lollipop. It was running TimePin at the time and when I booted into 5.0 it was still working - the time was changing and all the features of the app were working. However, after a few minutes the pin code suddenly became locked on a certain time meaning that I had to try random times between when I last used my device.

To conclude - TimePin initially works fine on Lollipop but becomes stuck after a while. It shouldn't be too hard to port it forwards for unencrypted devices imo.
15th June 2015, 03:47 AM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I install Timepin on my S5 running 5.0 Lollipop but when I open the app to turn it on the toggles don't move so I cannot turn off the "Disable Timepin" switch. The drop down menu works but I can not activate timepin. It's like it doesn't not register me pressing it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Last edited by DL2000820; 15th June 2015 at 03:49 AM.
27th June 2015, 05:28 PM |#505  
Flag Gallarate
Thanks Meter: 53

More
this was a clever app, no more development? and no more app on the play store too....
12th July 2015, 06:38 PM |#506  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Question Device Encryption and Assessability Services
Hey everyone! I'm pretty new here but have been using TimePIN on my phone for a while. Since they finally pushed out 5.1 for the Moto series, I miss using TimePIN.

A couple pages back, someone posted an email from jcase citing issues encryption and specifically, disk encryption and the lockscreen password. I noticed that there was an warning message in the new Lollipop phones that said:
Quote:

Because you've turned on an accessibility service, your device won't use your screen lock to enhance data encryption

So, that got me digging. I found some information but not a lot and wanted some thought on it.

I first found this bug report 79309, and these two instructions on the accessibility service from LastPast and 1Password. (Sorry, spam protection prevents me from linking anything.)

This points to an interesting scenario where the lock screen doesn't actually impart device encryption. This lead me to Android's the documentation for encryption states:
Quote:

In the Android 5.0 release, there are four kinds of encryption states:

• PIN
  • password
  • pattern
Upon first boot, the device creates a randomly generated 128-bit master key and then hashes it with a default password and stored salt. The default password is: "default_password" However, the resultant hash is also signed through a TEE (such as TrustZone), which uses a hash of the signature to encrypt the master key...

When the user sets the PIN/pass or password on the device, only the 128-bit key is re-encrypted and stored. (ie. user PIN/pass/pattern changes do NOT cause re-encryption of userdata.)

The last sentence seems to interesting. While the phone does use the PIN to encrypt the data, changing doesn't actually affect the data and will not require re-encryption. In simpler terms, the PIN code protects the encryption key that in which protects the phone data.

More digging, I found other bug report (79342) on ActiveSync and encryption requirements and the general Google Support page on encryption on Nexus devices which says:

Pulling everything together, on Lollipop devices, there is one option to not require a PIN on startup. This means the phone stays encrypted with the generated encryption key but the startup of the phone does not require entering a PIN to start up.

tldr;

In theory, TimePIN can work with device encryption but will require the PIN on startup to be disabled.

This can be done by requesting the accessibility service which does it automatically or prompting the user during setup. This allows the phone to be encrypted, Startup normally without a PIN. At this time, TimePIN as an app can start with the system and do its normal thing of resetting back to the default PIN and the Time/Date pin after that.

Each time the PIN changes, the system re-encryptes the master key but not the disk itself.

What do you guys think?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happywillow0 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread