FORUMS

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

[Q] Root for VM LG Volt

66 posts
Thanks Meter: 6
 
By dtb1987, Member on 11th June 2014, 03:43 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
19th June 2015, 09:12 PM |#51  
CSX321's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southern IL USA
Thanks Meter: 128
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimReid

Well that helped but it still didn't root. I did all the steps and when it got down to the SH command (which I assume means SHELL that appeared to work but when I pulled the battery to get out of the download mode and rebooted my phone I ran a little app that checks the root status and it said it was not rooted. Don't know where to go from here. All the steps seemed to work correctly but it didn't root the phone.

Hmm. About the only thing I can think to suggest is maybe try installing SuperSU, and see if it can run.
 
 
19th June 2015, 09:38 PM |#52  
Member
Flag Williamstown
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Red face
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX321

Hmm. About the only thing I can think to suggest is maybe try installing SuperSU, and see if it can run.

That won't install because it can't get root access.
19th June 2015, 09:42 PM |#53  
CSX321's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southern IL USA
Thanks Meter: 128
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimReid

That won't install because it can't get root access.

Edit...This looks more promising, and probably safer than kingroot:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...98&postcount=1

--------------

Bummer. I thought maybe the process had given you the permissions but not the actual binary, and that maybe SuperSU could install it.

I've seen some reports that kingroot works on the Volt. You might give that a try. It doesn't even require a PC. I have actually used an older version of it to root a Kindle Fire.
Last edited by CSX321; 19th June 2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: better info
20th June 2015, 12:44 AM |#54  
Member
Flag Williamstown
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Oh well, guess I won't get it rooted for awhile. Is there any place that actually explains the rooting process? I'm fairy knowledgeable with Windows (all versions) but don't know much about androids or Unix commands which is what ABD commands look like to me. I would think there would be someplace that explained the basics. I understand what root means just not the process to get it.

Thanks for you help anyway.
20th June 2015, 10:25 PM |#55  
CSX321's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southern IL USA
Thanks Meter: 128
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimReid

Oh well, guess I won't get it rooted for awhile. Is there any place that actually explains the rooting process? I'm fairy knowledgeable with Windows (all versions) but don't know much about androids or Unix commands which is what ABD commands look like to me. I would think there would be someplace that explained the basics. I understand what root means just not the process to get it.

I'm a long-time Windows guy myself. I've developed Windows programs going back to Windows 286 in the late 80's.

Rooting Android basically just means acquiring access as the root user, roughly the equivalent of Administrator access in Windows. This consists of somehow gaining permission to write to a certain directory, so that the su binary (an executable that allows you to perform tasks as the root user) can be copied there. SuperSU, and the couple of other similar apps, are cautionary tools that let you control which apps are allowed to use the su binary.

For some devices, like the Google Nexus devices, rooting is simple. You install a custom "recovery," which you might think of as vaguely like the Windows preinstallation environment. It has complete access to the device, and allows you to "flash" a copy of su to the proper location.

Other devices may have a "locked bootloader," which means it can be tricky to install a custom recovery. In those cases, you use a program that takes advantage of a bug, usually called an "exploit" in this context, to either gain access to install su, or access to install a custom recovery.
20th June 2015, 11:37 PM |#56  
Member
Flag Williamstown
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX321

I'm a long-time Windows guy myself. I've developed Windows programs going back to Windows 286 in the late 80's.

Rooting Android basically just means acquiring access as the root user, roughly the equivalent of Administrator access in Windows. This consists of somehow gaining permission to write to a certain directory, so that the su binary (an executable that allows you to perform tasks as the root user) can be copied there. SuperSU, and the couple of other similar apps, are cautionary tools that let you control which apps are allowed to use the su binary.

For some devices, like the Google Nexus devices, rooting is simple. You install a custom "recovery," which you might think of as vaguely like the Windows preinstallation environment. It has complete access to the device, and allows you to "flash" a copy of su to the proper location.

Other devices may have a "locked bootloader," which means it can be tricky to install a custom recovery. In those cases, you use a program that takes advantage of a bug, usually called an "exploit" in this context, to either gain access to install su, or access to install a custom recovery.

Wow, that was pretty simple. I myself go back to pre-PC days on the IBM 360/40 as a Cobol programmer and got into PC when they came out with the x86 in the 80's. As 286 was the XT and that was a great step up from what I started with. Now I'm running on a notebook with Windows 7 (I removed Win 8.1) with 12 GB memory and 1TB storage and a quad processor. I have written code on the MF in Cobol, Assembler, and RPG. On the PC's I started with VB and didn't like it and moved to Clipper (this was on an 286) then later moved back to VB 3.0 and then into Visual Studio (now using 2013). I've used IMS, DB2 and IDMS on the mainframes and DB2, SQL and the PC's.

So I've been around a few years but never really got into the Android world or Unix world. Thanks for your help.

I did finally get my LG Volt rooted. After going through all the steps and having it not work it evidently put all the files on the phone and then as a last chance I tried running the LG One Click Root again (didn't work the first time) and it ran. I listed all the same steps EXCEPT when you found the Com Port (there were 2 Com3 and Com4) I used Com4 and it didn't work and it used Com3 and it did work. Not sure why it worked other than I did a lot of the file copies in the manual way.

Thanks again for all your help.
Jim Reid
JimReid@comcast.net
21st June 2015, 01:18 AM |#57  
Quickdraw996's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimReid

Oh well, guess I won't get it rooted for awhile. Is there any place that actually explains the rooting process? I'm fairy knowledgeable with Windows (all versions) but don't know much about androids or Unix commands which is what ABD commands look like to me. I would think there would be someplace that explained the basics. I understand what root means just not the process to get it.

Thanks for you help anyway.

Look at the OP HERE for a complete list of root methods
25th June 2015, 06:48 PM |#58  
Junior Member
Flag Rigby
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Rooting LG Volt v5
Hey Guys! I know I'm a noob and whatnot, but i did find an easy way to root the phone.

There's a website called, "Kingroot" (I'm not trying to advertise, it's legit)

You go on the website on your phone, download the apk, hit root, and wait like 2 minutes, then your phone will be rooted.

I tried this yesterday, and now I'm rooted. I downloaded Root Checker to verify, and i am.

So, if you want to root, try that, I assure you it works, and it's free.


(I've included some screenshots of the apps, and of root checker to show you that it does in fact, work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-25-11-45-10[1].png
Views:	80
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	3378543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-25-11-44-56[1].png
Views:	82
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	3378544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-25-11-44-09[1].png
Views:	76
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	3378545  
The Following User Says Thank You to Pedro_From_Rigby For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th July 2015, 09:34 AM |#59  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro_From_Rigby

Hey Guys! I know I'm a noob and whatnot, but i did find an easy way to root the phone.

There's a website called, "Kingroot" (I'm not trying to advertise, it's legit)

You go on the website on your phone, download the apk, hit root, and wait like 2 minutes, then your phone will be rooted.

I tried this yesterday, and now I'm rooted. I downloaded Root Checker to verify, and i am.

So, if you want to root, try that, I assure you it works, and it's free.


(I've included some screenshots of the apps, and of root checker to show you that it does in fact, work.

Thank you for guidance of "Kingroot"! I'm succesifuly rooted my son's vs740zv5 with this app.
The purpose of this procedure was the use of OTG devices, but I cannot do that.
On your screenshots I sow USB symbol in status bar. Do you solve problem with OTG? What can you advise me if you done?
18th July 2015, 06:08 PM |#60  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
root LG Volt after V4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj.rickjames2014

Has anyone found a way to root lg volt after Z4 update. I wish I had never installed the new update. Hopefully the devs that made towelroot will add support for the volt with update.

Have a similar problem with LG-L90 (sibling of LG volt). Was able to downgrade the L90 to an earlier version RevC (Vs RevD), and then successfully root.
Not sure about the scope with LG volt, but I think the process could be similar. Here is a text link of that (I cannot post outside link yet)
google for: download to c firmware for root on d415
Will receive a Volt in a few days, and will update if I have to go through this process
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boost mobile, lg ls740, lg volt, root, virgin mobile
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes