[QUEST] 4G LTE working T-Mobile radio/modem on AT&T Note 2 or Viceversa

Search This thread

billb23ok

Feb 18, 2008
ontario
What I did to my i317
Installed jedi master 14 which is 16 now
Install ucamc3 modem
Installed aws mod but I ended up making an nv item backup of my brother inlaws t889 with qpst then I restored those to my phone then changed imei to 0 as explained above
I no longer use the aws mod as I dont need it any longer
My phone is connecting to all bands. To test 1700 I put it in lte only *#2263# then selected 1700 band only to see if it connected. Then I selected all then selected lte all then automatic my phone connects and changes bands just as expected from a t889. I am running a ext2 file system with jedi master 16 and saberkernel 35.6 ucamc3 modem
So I basically made my phone a t889 except modem
Hope this helps and answers any questions

To get LTE see http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-2-...2-sgh-i317-t2877487/post55453837#post55453837

Last edited:

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
What I did to my i317
Installed jedi master 14 which is 16 now
Install ucamc3 modem
Installed aws mod but I ended up making an nv item backup of my brother inlaws t889 with qpst then I restored those to my phone then changed imei to 0 as explained above
I no longer use the aws mod as I dont need it any longer
My phone is connecting to all bands. To test 1700 I put it in lte only *#2263# then selected 1700 band only to see if it connected. Then I selected all then selected lte all then automatic my phone connects and changes bands just as expected from a t889. I am running a ext2 file system with jedi master 16 and saberkernel 35.6 ucamc3 modem
So I basically made my phone a t889 except modem
Hope this helps and answers any questions

LTE 1700 MHz is enabled out of the box. It's because in very few areas, AT&T actually uses the same AWS frequency as T-Mobile for LTE. The AWS mod enables 1700 MHz for HSPA+ ("4G").

billb23ok

Feb 18, 2008
ontario
LTE 1700 MHz is enabled out of the box. It's because in very few areas, AT&T actually uses the same AWS frequency as T-Mobile for LTE. The AWS mod enables 1700 MHz for HSPA+ ("4G").

I new that and soon 1700 will be used only for lte and 1900 for 3g and 4g t mobile plans to get rid of edge completely. But its going to take a few years

yiujai86

Oct 9, 2013
I've been trying to get tmobile LTE on both of my att i317s. Weird thing is that the older model that I first purchased when they came out is made in China and it gets LTE as soon as I inserted the tmobile sim but no aws. So I did the thing from the post (Enable AWS band (3g/4g Tmobile) on ATT Note 2 stock baseband) and now I have both aws and lte. The 2nd phone I purchased was around July of 2013 and is made in Korea and when I put in the Tmobile sim it got aws but no LTE. I've tried Different ROMs, kernel, modems and can't for the life of me get LTE to work on the i317 model that was made in Korea. I'm starting to think that there is actually a hardware difference. I am still a noob. Only started like a month ago to mess with phones for the first. Just wanted to share my story. I think I will try to swap the phones imei or set them to 0 to see what happens.

billb23ok

Feb 18, 2008
ontario
I've been trying to get tmobile LTE on both of my att i317s. Weird thing is that the older model that I first purchased when they came out is made in China and it gets LTE as soon as I inserted the tmobile sim but no aws. So I did the thing from the post (Enable AWS band (3g/4g Tmobile) on ATT Note 2 stock baseband) and now I have both aws and lte. The 2nd phone I purchased was around July of 2013 and is made in Korea and when I put in the Tmobile sim it got aws but no LTE. I've tried Different ROMs, kernel, modems and can't for the life of me get LTE to work on the i317 model that was made in Korea. I'm starting to think that there is actually a hardware difference. I am still a noob. Only started like a month ago to mess with phones for the first. Just wanted to share my story. I think I will try to swap the phones imei or set them to 0 to see what happens.

My imei was good and had the same problem as you try my method if it works let me know. See
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-2-...2-sgh-i317-t2877487/post55453837#post55453837

Last edited:

unodish

Nov 14, 2007

Any update if you were able to get Tmobile LTE on your Korean i317?

Thanks in advance

Nov 8, 2013
AT&T Note II - T-Moble/Metro Pcs No LTE

I'm writing to see what you did so I can know:confused: KNOW :silly: HOW :confused: it worked. I have read, tried and reverted hundreds of posting to do lists. However not one has brought my i317 to the T-Mobile 4G-LTE light. Can you, better yet will you be so kind to enlighten me to the fix. Stock-rooted AT&T ROM, QPST installed but did not find phone until I used *#9090# and selected option [2] DM/DUN over HSIC then changed Qualcomm USB Settings to RNDIS + DM + MODEM. Once this was done QPST found my phone and I was able to update qcn to ATT_I317_AWSMOD_dumimei.qcn , LTE B4 running.... help:crying::confused:.

billb23ok

Feb 18, 2008
ontario
I'm writing to see what you did so I can know:confused: KNOW :silly: HOW :confused: it worked. I have read, tried and reverted hundreds of posting to do lists. However not one has brought my i317 to the T-Mobile 4G-LTE light. Can you, better yet will you be so kind to enlighten me to the fix. Stock-rooted AT&T ROM, QPST installed but did not find phone until I used *#9090# and selected option [2] DM/DUN over HSIC then changed Qualcomm USB Settings to RNDIS + DM + MODEM. Once this was done QPST found my phone and I was able to update qcn to ATT_I317_AWSMOD_dumimei.qcn , LTE B4 running.... help:crying::confused:.

This post is no longer useful just go to
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-2-...2-sgh-i317-t2877487/post55453837#post55453837
Go here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2068041&page=134
and download the 2 files I posted
On next page I tried to write a step by step. The goal is to get your imei to 0 or unkown. And it will get lte
Make back ups!

Last edited:
Reactions: texasdreammaker1

billb23ok

Feb 18, 2008
ontario
You DON'T want your IMEI to 0 or unknown. What kind of advice are you giving?

I figured it and no one needs to change the imei see

If you bring your own phone it makes no difference with t mobile and if you make your back up you can always put it back if you need it. Also that was the only way my good imei note 2 i317 would get lte on tmobile. If you have a better solution than speek up
Oh and my imei has been at 0 for two years no issues

Last edited:
Reactions: texasdreammaker1

mexigga

May 9, 2007
Los Angeles
If you bring your own phone it makes no difference with t mobile and if you make your back up you can always put it back if you need it. Also that was the only way my good imei note 2 i317 would get lte on tmobile. If you have a better solution than speek up
Disregard...thx

Last edited:

blade86sam

Jul 23, 2012
Montreal
i have an i317m, which was koodo branded (basically bell) and i unlocked it using bells 4.1.1 image and then flashed their 4.4.2 image with the NH2 modem.
im currently using it on videotron's network, which should be using a T889V note 2 and i had no issues with calls and LTE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TEKHD said:
    So you have a T889 and flashed I317M Modem and accessed the *#197328640# code and did what exactly? and you are getting LTE on AT&T?

please elaborate.... please...

Hello TEKHD,

I have a T889V, but my carrier up here is Virgin Mobile Canada, whose network is technically closer to AT&T's band-wise. DC-HSPA 42 on 850 and 1900 MHz with LTE on Band 4 (AWS).

Reason I got a T889V is because I also keep a T-Mobile SIM for stateside trips, it was a bit cheaper and it leaves the door open to switching to Videotron in addition to the "Big Three".

I first unlocked the phone using the ServiceMode menu method.

I backed up /efs, and this is where I made my first mistake. I know I've been ranting about this for a few days now, you need a proper Qualcomm NV backup.

I usually stick to the Canadian ROMs as they tend to remain closer to their international brethren than the US ones, and also because they don't require tethering fixes. In this case, the T889V ROM also allows switching network modes between GSM, WCDMA and GSM/WCDMA/LTE easily.

I did modify the CSC files to remove the <CscFeature_Setting_DisableNetworkMode>lte</CscFeature_Setting_DisableNetworkMode> line in /system/csc/others.xml and even went so far as making a customized VMC CSC and reapplied that to get all the other little carrier tweaks like FastDormancy. The line is cosmetic only, as I've had it show 4G in the network icon and still get LTE, otherwise it shows 3G, H, H+ and LTE on the T889V. The other place I've seen it have an effect is in the network settings where it'll show GSM/WCDMA/LTE instead of GSM/WCDMA.

I've used Odin before, I have a download jig (two paralleled leftover 620kOhm resistors and a Sparkfun breakout board) and I've tarred my own images before with Cygwin.

To get the necessary files, I downloaded the stock T889V, I317M (Canadian LTE Note II variant, the one that'd actually be sold by VMC if they ever do.) and T889 ROMs from Sammobile.

My initial attempt to flash the I317M modem through Odin (as a standalone image) gave a fail before the phone began the actual writing process, i. e. it transferred the radio image without any issues. Later experiments show that only the T889V modem tar flashes with Odin, the T889 one doesn't either. Same goes for the whole, original Sammobile images, the modem partitions fail if you're cross-flashing.

I then used CWM with an update zip sourced here on XDA that included a "flash_image" binary to flash the 317M LJ2 modem. I used it to prep T889 and 889V zips as well. Rebooted the phone, it connected and gave me LTE, network icon and all. The before and after speedtests went from 3.5 to 35 Mbps. I did check and my IMEI showed 0 instead of, well, my IMEI.

No big deal, or so I thought, I'll just restore /efs in CWM, reflash the T889V modem and carry on. NOT.

The phone immediately started bootlooping, and the only way I initially got it to stop was to flash an N7100 boot.img. The S-Pen didn't work, nor did any networking apart from wifi. Getting QPST to talk to the phone was a bust as well; the hen and the egg.

I tried different combinations and couldn't fix the problem. (My flash counter sits well over 20 now.)

I got another poster (deeznutz1977) to send me his T889 NV backup (sans IMEI) the other day. I later had the idea of reflashing the I317M modem again, which did not boot loop after all (there may have been a matter of wiping /cache and Dalvik cache at the right time).

This time dialcode *#7284#, selecting "Qualcomm USB Settings" then selecting "RNDIS + DM + MODEM" worked. I could get the programs talking with the phone. I inserted my IMEI in deeznutz1977's backup, wrote that to the phone and rebooted.

The phone doesn't bootloop anymore, my IMEI is back, as is service on my current carrier. Plus, this configuration still works with AWS HSPA. The one catch is that bootloops resume if I reflash the T889V modem through either CWM or Odin.

I made a few more speed tests before writing this and managed to get an average 45 Mbps down and 12 up along with a 40 ms ping.

Hope that answered a few of your questions.

Regards,

Darkshado
    What had happen was:

(For those who don't want to play catch up, read the Unicorn Awesome notes below). I have a AT&T I317 that has been unlocked to T-Mobile. The problem is that I'm not getting 45 MBPS or LTE speeds. I can make and receive phone calls and text. The issue lays within the configuration of something on the phone. I put a AOSP Rom on the phone and those things do not likey the phone codes like ie. *#2263# or any other. So for the time being I'm using AOKP or TouchWiz Roms.

Nerd Level Explanation:

After installing the T-Mobile Jedi X 14 rom which is AOKP\TouchWiz onto the phone I got the option to install the new T-Mobile modem UVBMD1. (I DIDN'T BACKUP MY CURRENT MODEM OR EFS) I selected to wipe everything to start anew. I let it do its thing per instructions of the Rom's creator. The first thing I notice is that the it was not getting any service, plus the phone keeps rebooting itself every 2 minutes. I reflashed the rom but the problem was still there. I went to the previous T-Mobile modem to flash it onto the phone and still no dice. Out of the five T-Mobile modems no of them worked for me. Maybe I did something wrong , I don't know. Wipe everything clean on the phone and flashed the AT&T modem (atti317ucalj2modemfixed) onto my phone. Went back to the Avatar Rom from previous post and boom I got signal again. Downloaded the speedtest app to test out my idea. I ended up with a 6 MBPS down and 1 MBPS up on the stock at&t modem. Hmmmm so before I did anything else with the modem I wanted to put the T-Mobile Jedi X 14 back on the phone. Went through it without selecting the modem option and backup my efs options and once again let the rom do its thing. All the T-Mobile options for Wi-Fi calling, blah, blah, blah. Basically I did it that way cause it really looks like the phone came straight out the box from T-Mobile. So once again test the speeds, still getting the 6/1 thing. Next I did the "Enable AWS band (3g/4g Tmobile) on ATT Note 2 stock baseband" Mod on the phone. I followed it step by step and when the phone came back up. I'm getting 2 or 3 MBPS Down and 1.5 MBPS Up. Big difference I noticed between the two was my signal level is now stronger than before. Before the Mod I was getting maybe two bars average but then after I'm getting a full signal. Now I can use the *#2263# option which brings up the service mode for the Band preference. The 4 options are [1] Automatic(*) [2] WCDMA Band Preference [3] GSM Band Preference [4] LTE Band Preference. Like a fool I went straight for number 4. Once in a got 9 options to select from. LTE B2 -B5, B7, B8, B17, B20 and LTE ALL. I played with them all last night and some didn't work others did. I made the selection restarted the phone, tested. No increase. So I made the selection that worked and left it alone. Which now brings me here, so I have no idea what I'm doing with this thing. I did read somewhere that T-Mobile and AT&T work on the same B4 Band but that was dated before the LTE came to T-Mobile in April this year. Since everybody's posts are dated prior to the release of the LTE on T-Mobile its rather difficult to find a solution to some of the off problems we occur. SO now I'm ready for some options. Also the ANP settings are the same from before and the network selection has been set to manual. I'm still not getting anywhere.

Unicorn Awesomeness: (Must read with a Guitar Riff in the background)

1) Unlocked AT&T i317 over to T-Mobile
    2) Was not able to get the 45 MBPS speeds of LTE, was only getting 6 MBPS or 3 MBPS
    3) Rooted phone to install a T-Mobile AOSP Rom which was the wrong one because you can't edit the CSC file or do phone codes on it.
    4) Choose a AOKP T-Mobile Rom and T-Mobile Modem All in one package, didn't do a backup of anything cause hey YOLO.
    5) I was wrong, phone worked but had restart loops due to the flash of the T-Mobile modem plus no signal was ever achieved.
    6) Wiped phone and started over with all att crap.
    7) Flew on a unicorn like a boss, cause my phone was back to working status.
    8) Enable the AWS Band Mod Trick and that did a 50/50 on the phone. Signal improved greatly but data speeds dropped down to being 2 MBPS.
    9) With the AOKP Rom I now can do phone codes and edit my CSC file if anybody has the answer.
    10) Open for some answers just in case anybody has some.
    I'm writing a first draft guide that I'll PM to TEKHD so he can test out my procedure and try to iron out the kinks. I'll be on freenode.net #attnote2 for the next little while too.
    Hey Darkshado, if you made an in depth guide on what you did, us T889(V) users will love you forever :D basically turns our phone into the best GSM phone in North America, great discovery.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using xda app-developers app
    You DON'T want your IMEI to 0 or unknown. What kind of advice are you giving?

I figured it and no one needs to change the imei see