FORUMS

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

[Q&A] Help thread. Ask away! (Noob friendly)

2,580 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,034

By dansou901, Recognized Contributor on 26th April 2014, 05:42 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
2nd August 2015, 10:07 PM |#3161  
Forum Moderator
Knocking on your door
Thanks Meter: 10,755

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwhdrlf

Hello,

So my question is if I want to change my ROM without losing my apps and its data, do I just back up the data partition in twrp and restore that?

Thanks

No you can't restore a data partition on another ROM, that'll cause problems. You use Titanium to backup only the apps and teen you can restore them on your new ROM.

Yesterday, 07:50 AM |#3162  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Exclamation Question Regarding Firmware
I am quite confused about the 'firmware' part of the OPO. I have used a number of Samsung phones wherein I just needed to flash the ROM file only. The only thing I had to flash separately was the modem.

Coming to the OPO, what I don't understand is what the 'firmware' actually means/does? I am on stock CM12S 2I3 ROM right now which I have rooted. So if I wanted to go to say, CM12 based ROMs, is there something extra that I need to flash? I hope I am putting across my question properly! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yesterday, 08:07 AM |#3163  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 12,772

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanshmittal

I am quite confused about the 'firmware' part of the OPO. I have used a number of Samsung phones wherein I just needed to flash the ROM file only. The only thing I had to flash separately was the modem.

Coming to the OPO, what I don't understand is what the 'firmware' actually means/does? I am on stock CM12S 2I3 ROM right now which I have rooted. So if I wanted to go to say, CM12 based ROMs, is there something extra that I need to flash? I hope I am putting across my question properly! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Firmware is everything in the rom that isn't system, data, cache or boot (kernel) i.e. modem etc.

Custom roms often only include system and boot so if you're moving from a cm11 to a cm12 based custom rom, you probably need to update the firmware.

Stock CM11S & CM OS12 roms and CyanogenMod nightlies include the firmware.

Sent via Bacon...
The Following User Says Thank You to Spannaa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 08:16 AM |#3164  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannaa

Firmware is everything in the rom that isn't system, data, cache or boot (kernel) i.e. modem etc.

Custom roms often only include system and boot so if you're moving from a cm11 to a cm12 based custom rom, you probably need to update the firmware.

Stock CM11S & CM OS12 roms and CyanogenMod nightlies include the firmware.

Sent via Bacon...

OK. So as I understand, a 5.0.2 ROM needs a matching firmware and same goes for 5.1.1 is it? Also, is there a way to check on the phone itself the firmware version I'm running? Also, if I go to a CM12.1 based ROM now, will I need to flash the firmware separately or can I download it from somewhere?
Yesterday, 08:26 AM |#3165  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Hi all,
I have an issue with oné Enterprise app, not able to restore it via Titanium Backup. Seems like something is not backuped and then not restored. So app does not work after restoration.

I would like to "investigate" what's missing... how to do this...???
1) make a list of all files on /system, /data, Cache and Dalvik partitons?
2) then install app, test functionality, malé list of files again and create TB backup
3) uninstall app, restore it from TB and make a list of files for 3rd time
4) compare 1st and 2nd list - to find what was added
5) comapare 1st and 3rd list - to find what was added
6) compare last to lišta what's missing

How to do this? Thank you for help
Yesterday, 10:23 AM |#3166  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 12,772

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanshmittal

OK. So as I understand, a 5.0.2 ROM needs a matching firmware and same goes for 5.1.1 is it? Also, is there a way to check on the phone itself the firmware version I'm running? Also, if I go to a CM12.1 based ROM now, will I need to flash the firmware separately or can I download it from somewhere?

Yes, you need firmware to match your rom.

The safe way is to flash the firmware whenever you change rom versions, so, moving from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1 you should flash the 5.1.1 firmware first.

You can get the necessary firmware from any full rom fastboot zip: CM OS12 (5.0.2) or a CyanogenMod nightly (5.1.1)
The Following User Says Thank You to Spannaa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 11:17 AM |#3167  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Instagram problem
Anyone else?

Yesterday, 02:50 PM |#3168  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
This may have been asked already but there are a few hundred pages to sift through and I've already been looking for awhile. I'm experienced with rooting and using custom recoveries and everything but I've never used a device without expandable storage, so if I were to create a nandroid back up, would I lose the backup when wiping to install a new ROM? Or is my best option one of the flash drive adapter things?
Yesterday, 03:10 PM |#3169  
Forum Moderator
Knocking on your door
Thanks Meter: 10,755

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1223

This may have been asked already but there are a few hundred pages to sift through and I've already been looking for awhile. I'm experienced with rooting and using custom recoveries and everything but I've never used a device without expandable storage, so if I were to create a nandroid back up, would I lose the backup when wiping to install a new ROM? Or is my best option one of the flash drive adapter things?

No, wiping doesn't touch your internal storage unless you specifically choose for it to. The best way to ensure this is by entering the wipe menu in TWRP and then selecting advanced wipe, from there you can select exactly what partitions you want to wipe (usually system, data, cache, dalvik cache).
The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 03:12 PM |#3170  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 650

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1223

Regardless of whether your device has a microSD slot or not, part of the internal storage is partitioned into an emulated SD "card" where your data gets stored. Pictures, videos, downloaded torrents, etc. Nandroids get stored there too. When flashing a ROM, first you wipe Dalvic Cache, System, Data, and Cache. As long as you don't wipe Internal Storage, all your saved content, including nandroids, Titanium backups, etc, are untouched.

It never hurts to use a USB OTG cable and flash drive though. Keeps your phone's storage free for other stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Planterz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
help thread, noob friendly
Previous Thread Next Thread