[BOOTLOADER] 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 8.9 [06/24 CM12.1/TWRP 2.8.x]

Search This thread

OAG

Aug 14, 2009
Where to get the right Google Apps for our device?
Link at the heading section of this thread leads to page404...

STEP 2: Download the files you will need to install 2nd-bootloader, TWRP and CM11.0:
Google Apps from: ... (This version for CM-11.0!)<<<<<<<<<<<<< link is broken!

redhonker

May 11, 2008
Hi,

I currently have kfhd8-freedom-boot-8.4.3 and kfhd8-freedom-boot-8.4.6 on my Kindle 8.9 and I have fire flash v1.1 installed. This was about a year ago I have not touched it since.

I am trying to upgrade and hashcode mentioned that I should make sure that I have the latest book and twrp installed. I've check and they are kfhd8-freedom-boot-8.4.6 and kfhd8-twrp-2.7.0.0-recovery.

Is it safe to use fire flash to install them? Any instruction?

Thanks

redhonker

May 11, 2008
Hi,

I had trying to upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 ROM. I read that I need to make sure I have freedom boot 8.4.6 and TWRP 2.7.0.0. So I tried to upgrade, using fireflash, put both boot and recovery in, and choose install scripts (first option). Then reboot.

Now it's stuck withe the blue Kindle Fire logo.

I can get into TWRP recovery. But not sure what I should do next. Can I check if freedom boot is installed correctly? Should I continue to flash the 4.4 PAC-man ROM?

Thanks

-- EDIT

I read the first post again.

[12/09] kfhd8-freedom-boot-8.4.6.img (USED ONLY THE FIRST TIME -- .zip files will have their own boot.img's from now on):

Does it mean I should not have tried to flash the boot img? Should I just go ahead to flash the ROM zip?

Thanks

Last edited:

ant17

Jan 8, 2015
san francisco
Just a quick note for those that are having trouble manually flashing a TWRP update. Once you have the image on the root of you internal SD card > open the FireFlash apk > scroll down to RECOVERY PARTITION > click on the NOT FLASHED button directly below it > now scroll down to the TWRP image you want to flash > click on it > now scroll all the way down to FLASH,INSTALL SCRIPT located under EXECUTE. Now your TWRP is updated. Note: Don't tick anything else along the way.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 11 KitKat 4.4 using xda app-developers

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

Edit Note: FireFlash is only usable on 2012 KFHD 7 and 8.9" Using it on any other tablet will brick it.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 11 KitKat 4.4 using xda app-developers

I downloaded the 2 files to my laptop pc, now how do I get them to the root of the SD card?? on the KF? Not sure how.

tia

afbcamaro

Dec 23, 2006
Does anyone have all the files at the beginning of this post? Goo.im is permanently offline so i can not get them anywhere. Thank you for your help

astupka

Aug 2, 2007
I was unable to download the files due to goo being dead, but I found them copied on a chinese site (baidu). They had the same checksum (be SURE to md5sum after downloading just to be sure they weren't modified). If you use the fireflash app as described here in Step 3, you only need to flash these files with fireflash to get TWRP working AFTER you root with this post.

kfhd8-twrp-2.7.0.0-recovery.img
kfhd8-freedom-boot-8.4.6.img
kfhd8-u-boot-prod-8.1.4.bin

My env:
OSX 10.9.5
Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Android OS ver: 8.4.9

Last edited:

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Hello all,

I updated TWRP to 2.8.7.0 and mention cm-12.1 in the instructions.

NOTE: All of the file download links have been moved to Dev-Host (since goo.im is down).

Sorry for the delay.

Enjoy

onlypirc

Sep 1, 2007
Atlanta
<QUOTE> *DONT RE-FLASH FREEDOM-BOOT.IMG LATER AFTER FLASHING CUSTOM ROMS -- IT'S FOR STOCK AMAZON OS ONLY / FIRST INSTALL ONLY* </QUOTE>

So... if I had stupidly forgotten that part and re-flashed the freedom-boot.img over the top of already flashed TWR and CM12, and now the device won't boot normally or into recovery... any suggestions? The only thing I can boot it into is fastboot.

I tried reflashing all my stock backups, it didn't work. I tried TW recovery again and that didn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
<QUOTE> *DONT RE-FLASH FREEDOM-BOOT.IMG LATER AFTER FLASHING CUSTOM ROMS -- IT'S FOR STOCK AMAZON OS ONLY / FIRST INSTALL ONLY* </QUOTE>

So... if I had stupidly forgotten that part and re-flashed the freedom-boot.img over the top of already flashed TWR and CM12, and now the device won't boot normally or into recovery... any suggestions? The only thing I can boot it into is fastboot.

I tried reflashing all my stock backups, it didn't work. I tried TW recovery again and that didn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated!

The easiest method to get back into TWRP would be:
- flash TWRP recovery image with fastboot
- flash a boot.img from the CM-12.1 ROM with fastboot ( you can open the zip and pull this file out manually )
- and then run this command on your host "fastboot -i 0x1949 oem recovery"

From there flash a ROM, etc.

onlypirc

Sep 1, 2007
Atlanta
The easiest method to get back into TWRP would be:
- flash TWRP recovery image with fastboot
- flash a boot.img from the CM-12.1 ROM with fastboot ( you can open the zip and pull this file out manually )
- and then run this command on your host "fastboot -i 0x1949 oem recovery"

From there flash a ROM, etc.

Thanks much, I'll try!

theSuda

Jan 24, 2011
Atlanta
So I installed a nightly few weeks ago. But it needed new google apps which I didn't know at the time. So I thought lets try a factory reset, whats the problem in that, right? Nope. Now all my Kindle does is shows Orange logo then blue logo then once it reaches TEAMWIN blue logo screen, it keeps flashing that screen. Computer can't detect it because it keeps rebooting every second, got a factory cable from ebay which does nothing because again the device keeps rebooting. I think I just lost my kindle. :( And googling didn't help as I found only one person who did exactly what I did and he never got any answers. Just wanted to say thank you to hashcode for nice days of using CM11 on my kindle before I give up and trash it. Any help/direction appreciated. Thanks.

gatalon

May 3, 2013
So I installed a nightly few weeks ago. But it needed new google apps which I didn't know at the time. So I thought lets try a factory reset, whats the problem in that, right? Nope. Now all my Kindle does is shows Orange logo then blue logo then once it reaches TEAMWIN blue logo screen, it keeps flashing that screen. Computer can't detect it because it keeps rebooting every second, got a factory cable from ebay which does nothing because again the device keeps rebooting. I think I just lost my kindle. :( And googling didn't help as I found only one person who did exactly what I did and he never got any answers. Just wanted to say thank you to hashcode for nice days of using CM11 on my kindle before I give up and trash it. Any help/direction appreciated. Thanks.

you don't need a factory cable for this device.
you can try to flash back to the stock system, fastboot should be working.

theSuda

Jan 24, 2011
Atlanta
Is there any way to put it in fastboot mode without connecting it to PC? Like my old LG P500 phone had a combo of buttons that put it in emergency mode and you could repair from there. Anything like that for 8.9? Because that's my problem, it reboots so quickly that computer can't even detect the tablet. I know the basics of reflashing/unbricking etc as I have bricked my mobile phones a lot by using all nightlies. This is the first time I am stuck without a way to put it in fastboot. :\

ant17

Jan 8, 2015
san francisco
What if I only want to update the 2nd BL from 2.7 to 2.8??? Do I really need the entire process again as if I'm doing it for the first time?

namitutonka

Jan 3, 2014
Denver
thoronodor.tripod.com
"Android ADB Composite USB" driver

...... in fast boot, the kindle will show up as "Jem -XXX-XXX" and you need to use the "Android ADB Composite USB" driver.....

With fastboot indicating a jem-xxx-xxx device you must have worked with KF HD 8.9". Could you report your serial number prefix? Examples here and here. Also would you please give your model, i.e. 3HT7G?

Also with regards to the Android ADB driver, did you may make changes to android_winusb.inf file found inside usb_driver , to add support for your Kindle HD 8.9. If so did you edit the usb_driver with the fastboot name jem-???-xxx ? That driver update procedure and information is here. Is this how you updated the device driver? Thanks @slacka-vt.

Also what was your Kindle OS.? Such as: Android OS 4.0.3 System Version 8.5.1. You did not have to downgrade to version 8.1.4?

Last edited:

DamnRaL

Jul 17, 2015
Hooray! I did it!

It took me a few days to get it but it wasn't because of Hashcode's instructions, my problem was getting the damn drivers to recognize the Kindle on Adb mode.

I was on an old Xp laptop that was slow as hell, huge pain. Apparently there were two types of drivers (for WinXp anyway). One was just the simple driver to browse the kindles files like an external device which couldn't be recognized by adb.exe & fastboot.exe so after researching and digging I finally found theAmazon drivers for adb, deleted old drivers, installed adb Amazon drivers & eureka adb commands where finally recognized by device!

After that it went fairly quick. Only problem I had in the instructions was the powering up & down + all the plugging & unplugging the USB.

The kindle automatically powers on when you plug it in so I got hung up for alittle bit there on the fastboot portion of the installation. Very Confusing.

Trudged thru & finally figured out a method that worked.

Only issues I've had so far is the browsers are kinda buggy. Default CM12.1 browser is missing some features like press & hold on link to bring up some options is empty.
Chrome browser is constantly flashing tiles in random areas.

Other than that tho pretty cool! Will tinker around with it some more.
Isthere there someplace I should post about bugs & stuff for the developers?

I'm still pretty new here still.

DamnRaL

Jul 17, 2015
Found out the issue with the press & hold on links in stock browser being empty. It was a custom theme issue.

monster1612

Apr 21, 2014
Amazon Fire TV
Modding the 2nd bootloader splash

What if I wanted to modify the second bootloader's splash screen (the blue Kindle Fire logo)? I have the new initlogo.rle file modified and ready to pack into a u-boot image, but I don't know how to compile u-boot for the kindle. Also, once I have the u-boot image compiled, would I flash it directly to the bootloader partition in fastboot, or would I need to wrap the image into a boot partition file somehow?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing: Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.8.x.x for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

** THESE FILES WILL ONLY WORK ON A KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THESE FILES ON ANY OTHER DEVICE. **

** WHEN MODDING THE KFIRE HD YOU SHOULD HAVE WORKING FASTBOOT DRIVERS ON YOUR PC. **

FASTBOOT CABLES ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR USING FASTBOOT MODE ON THE KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9.
    DOWNLOAD THE ANDROID SDK AND GO FROM THERE.
    POSSIBLE ALSO THAT USING A FASTBOOT CABLE ON THE 8.9 WILL CAUSE DAMAGE.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

MAC USERS: USEFUL LINKS
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41199927&postcount=230

Q: How do I know if my fastboot works?
    A: With the Kindle powered down, type the following command into a cmd/terminal window on your PC (should return with: < waiting for device> ):
    fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

Then connect USB to the Kindle and reboot. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen and your terminal window should show something like:
    product: Jem-PVT-Prod-04

Type this to reboot out of fastboot mode:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING A 2ND-BOOTLOADER TO LOAD CUSTOM KERNELS / ROMS / RECOVERY:
    *** BE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGE ON THE DEVICE ***

STEP 1. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:
    Code:
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 of=/sdcard/boot0block.img"
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/stock-boot.img"
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/stock-recovery.img"
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system of=/sdcard/stock-system.img" # This will take a few minutes
    adb pull /sdcard/boot0block.img
    adb pull /sdcard/stock-boot.img
    adb pull /sdcard/stock-recovery.img
    adb pull /sdcard/stock-system.img # This will take a few minutes
    Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

**** MAC USERS MAY NEED TO SPARSE THE FILES FOR RE-FLASHING TO THE DEVICE. I NEED A MAC USER TO PROBABLY WORK THROUGH THAT PROCESS AND I CAN POST BACKUP COPIES OF THE STOCK PARTITIONS FOR DISASTER RECOVERY ****

STEP 2: Download the files you will need to install 2nd-bootloader, TWRP and CM:

ON THE FOLLOWING DEV-HOST LINKS
    USE THE BLUE "DOWNLOAD NOW" BUTTON
    -- DO NOT INSTALL AN EXECUTABLE DOWNLOADER TO YOUR SYSTEM! --
    I'LL LOOK FOR A BETTER HOST WHEN I GET MORE TIME.

1. Stack override file:
      Mirror 1: Download "stack" from Dev-Host
    2. [12/09] kfhd8-freedom-boot-8.4.6.img (USED ONLY THE FIRST TIME -- .zip files will have their own boot.img's from now on):
      Mirror 1: Download "kfhd8-freedom-boot-8.4.6.img" from Dev-Host
      md5sum: 8374cf88e75abda8c374044a1f0daa5f
    3. [06/24] TWRP 2.8.7.0 recovery flash Image
      Mirror 1: Download TWRP from Dev-Host
      md5sum: a0c7533fd853849184850580350abd18
    4. CM-12.1 for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (choose the latest version from):
      Mirror 1: Downloads CM
    5. Google Apps from Android File Host:
      https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=25361 (Use 5.1 version!)
    6. Download the older 8.1.4 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
      Mirror 1: Download bootloader from Dev-Host
      md5sum a56f24c0c01aaea4bf408bc710faadaa
      (You SHOULD check this before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)
    Place the CM-12.1 ROM and the gapps .zip on your device in the /sdcard area

STEP 3. Install the stack override in /system:
    ADB commands entered while booted up into STOCK *rooted* Amazon Kindle OS -- May need to enable ADB debugging in Settings:
    [2013-08-21] edited the location where stack is placed on device due to permissions changes
    Code:
    adb push stack /sdcard/
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system bs=6519488 seek=1"

STEP 4. Stop the auto recovery update script (this file may or may not be present):
    Code:
    adb shell su -c "mount -o remount,rw ext4 /system"
    adb shell su -c "mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak"
    adb shell su -c "mount -o remount,ro ext4 /system"

STEP 5:
    [ With the device powered off: Issue the following commands into your command/terminal window on your PC. Start with the first command and press enter. Then connect USB to the Kindle and power on ]

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader kfhd8-u-boot-prod-8.1.4.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot kfhd8-freedom-boot-8.4.6.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery kfhd8-twrp-2.8.7.0-recovery.img

*DONT RE-FLASH FREEDOM-BOOT.IMG LATER AFTER FLASHING CUSTOM ROMS -- IT'S FOR STOCK AMAZON OS ONLY / FIRST INSTALL ONLY*

** If everything was done correctly your Kindle will reboot and you will at first see the normal Kindle Fire ORANGE logo and then it will fade and come back as a BLUE logo. **

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
    Press the left volume button (volume up) while the logo is still YELLOW and keep pressing until the logo turns BLUE. Wait a moment and you should enter recovery.

STEP 6:
    CM-12.1 AND GAPPS INSTALLATION:
    • (OPTIONAL) Make a backup by selecting "Backup" and then slide your finger to the right on the "Swipe to Back Up"
    • Once complete use the pentagon "Home" icon in the upper right corner of the screen (next to the back arrow and terminal icon)
    • Now, select "Wipe"
    • Swipe the "Swipe to Factory Reset"
    • Use the "Home" icon
    • Select "Install"
    • Browse to the location on your device where you saved the CM-11.0 / GAPPS .ZIP files
    • Select the CM12.1 ZIP file in the list by touching it, then confirm it says the name of the CM-12.1 .ZIP file on the next screen under "File to flash:"
    • Select "Add More Zips"
    • Select the GAPPS ZIP file in the list by touching it -- make sure it says the name of the .ZIP again under "File to flash:"
    • Swipe the "Swipe to Confirm Flash", and wait for it to finish.
    • If the screen is blank at any time you can hit the power button to "wake up" the device
    • Once the flash is done, you'll see a "Home" and "Reboot" buttons at the bottom of the screen
    • Select "Reboot"

CONGRATULATIONS YOU NOW HAVE THE ABILITY TO INSTALL CUSTOM KERNELS / RECOVERY AND ROMS.

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK:
    ** FIND THE FILES WE BACKED UP IN STEP #1: ** OR Follow this thread's instructions:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011126

**** MAC USERS MAY NEED TO SPARSE THE FILES FOR RE-FLASHING TO THE DEVICE. I NEED A MAC USER TO PROBABLY WORK THROUGH THAT PROCESS AND I CAN POST BACKUP COPIES OF THE STOCK PARTITIONS FOR DISASTER RECOVERY ****

Once you have these files (we'll name them boot.img/recovery.img and system.img for the purpose of these instructions, but they could be different on your system).

Plug in your fastboot cable and reboot so that you see the fastboot screen and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot [B]boot.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery [B]recovery.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system [B]system.img[/B] # This one will take a few minutes

THANKS TO:
    • fattire for finding the original bootloader exploit
    • verygreen for doing some initial work on the 2nd-bootloader and fixing bugs (and letting me copy some of his bootloader installation instructions)
    Who thinks I should write an APK installer for the initial installation of the 2nd-bootloader, TWRP and an automated re-install of the Amazon OS to fix any damage the stack drop did?
    Re: [BOOTLOADER] Install 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 8.9

I forgot to put up the stock flash .zip that I put together. I'll try and get it uploaded tonight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Added a stock Amazon OS flash .zip (8.1.4) for use in TWRP here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142241

FOR USE ONCE 2ND-BOOTLOADER / TWRP ARE INSTALLED