Sony Encouraging SmartWatch 2 Development

Mobile device companies like selling devices–it’s how they make their money and … more

Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Google Maps Navigation: I've got it but I don't know how

OP Aitese

21st April 2010, 08:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1

306 posts
More
Hi all. I was one of the people moaning about the woeful volume levels on my T-Mobile UK Desire. I solved the issue by flashing with a generic ROM (although it seems to be a Virgin Media ROM judging from the bookmarks)

Anyway, being in the UK I didn't have access to the free Google Navigation...I even gave the Brut hack a try but uninstalled it due to it's unstable nature and lack of features.

Well, I've just been prompted to update to Maps 4.1.1 and I now have navigation. Fully functional, with the arrow and the street name (both missing in the hacked version)

Is this a general roll out by Google? Is this now available to everyone, even on branded ROMs, or is this an added bonus of flashing a generic ROM?

Let me know

UPDATE:

Google officially verify Navigation: http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/mobile/navigation/
Last edited by Aitese; 21st April 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: UPDATE
21st April 2010, 08:57 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 72

387 posts
More
I'm not using the desire (nexus user here) and navigation appears to be working ok for me as well!
Haven't recently updated maps (was on 4.1.1 before) so they must have allowed it to work in the UK now w00t!
21st April 2010, 09:07 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 25

450 posts
glad to hear you got the volume sorted... no navigation or update to maps here.. i cant even seen google maps in the market even though it cam pre installed on my phone.. .bummer
The Following User Says Thank You to micks_address For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2010, 09:46 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

50 posts
I didn't even notice I had this. When I got my Desire, the update to maps was one of the first things it asked me to do.

I added the Brut hack because I just assumed it wasn't there.

It does state it is in beta still but yea, seems Navigation is included now.
21st April 2010, 09:49 AM   |  #5  
Flag Maidstone
Thanks Meter: 7

115 posts
More
Working for me here to on my Desire. Just going to remove the brut hack to test it works without that...

[Edit] Yeah, it works fine with the Nav Launcher and Brut hack, excellent!
Last edited by fdrzrich; 21st April 2010 at 10:05 AM.
21st April 2010, 09:52 AM   |  #6  
Flag Bolton
Thanks Meter: 0

79 posts
More
Well spotted Aitese!!
I hadn't bothered downloading the update to maps as I was using Brut maps and it worked well enough for me. However downloaded the update today, selected that newer version of maps for navigation and it is working. Haven't compared it against the cracked version (sat in an office) but looks to have more information on the screen etc.
21st April 2010, 09:53 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 30

222 posts
Have you got some screenshots? I've got Google Maps 4.1.1, but it all looks the same for me....what am I missing?
21st April 2010, 10:02 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

306 posts
More
Re: Google Maps Navigation: I've got it but I don't know how
Quote:

Have you got some screenshots? I've got Google Maps 4.1.1, but it all looks the same for me....what am I missing?

Can't do screen shots as I don't have all the development junk here but just search for a destination and when it finds it you should have several options, show route, navigate or street view. The navigate option wasn't there when I first got the phone last week.
21st April 2010, 10:15 AM   |  #9  
Flag London

124 posts
More
Am I right in thinking the option "navigate" should be right under "show on map"? If so, I've not got this. I'm running the stock rom with Google Maps 4.1.1. Iv'e never applied any hacks to get navigation in the past.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know as I'd love to get this working.
21st April 2010, 10:16 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 30

222 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitese

Can't do screen shots as I don't have all the development junk here but just search for a destination and when it finds it you should have several options, show route, navigate or street view. The navigate option wasn't there when I first got the phone last week.

Cool, working now. Had to reboot the phone to get it.... w00t!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 2.1, google, maps, navigation, rom
Previous Thread Next Thread