Galaxy S5 Knox Reset (New Hope)

1,235 posts
Thanks Meter: 232

By Slicktune, Senior Member on 1st May 2014, 10:39 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
11th August 2015, 07:51 PM |#341  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I had a galaxy S3 lte and when it was running jellybean 4.1 it did not have knox. After upgrading it to jellybean 4.3 it got knox enable. So I imagine an efuse materialized by thin air in my galaxy s3 lte.

11th August 2015, 10:06 PM |#342  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 326

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtrigo

I had a galaxy S3 lte and when it was running jellybean 4.1 it did not have knox. After upgrading it to jellybean 4.3 it got knox enable. So I imagine an efuse materialized by thin air in my galaxy s3 lte.

That's just Knox software on s3 which could be easily removed

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
12th August 2015, 02:39 AM |#343  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtrigo

Regarding the Galaxy S3 variants making use of the Qualcomm chip, Snapdragon S4 SoCs have had QFuses (efuses, QFPROM) for quite a while, including for the MSM8960 (the chip used for the S3; there is more info on XDA regarding the MSM8960 here). So they were there already, they were just not being used at all, at least not for the old "warranty void" flag/flash counter. But with a firmware implementing/enforcing KNOX, on a Qualcomm device including the S3 (and S4, and S5) , flashing a bootloader or recovery not signed by Samsung will indeed trip a permanent bit that will be impossible to reset. For the S3 (and the S4 variants that came out with 4.2.2), you had to downgrade to an official firmware not implementing KNOX before you could flash a recovery and not be afraid to trip any efuse <= Can't be sure about that, it's been too long. Unfortunately, for the S5, there exists no such firmware.
Last edited by johnwait; 12th August 2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Not sure anymore about something
12th August 2015, 11:59 AM |#344  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHertZ

Unfortunately no...I can only deal with the Samsung Service Centre directly

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

We agree it sucks, but wouldn't you feel bad when your device has a hardware fault and you can't get a replacement coz your warranty is void due to the bloody knox? aaaargh I feel so bad about it..it's my fault I should've tested the phone thoroughly for at least two weeks before rooting it.

Will towelroot help me get back the knox counter??

Why not just jump on ebay and order a replacement fingerprint sensor for around $12 AUD, remove the old one and install the new one? Takes about 30 mins and very little knowhow to change, youtube is your best friend with stuff like that
12th August 2015, 10:20 PM |#345  
Flag Mars
Thanks Meter: 150

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingCurve

Why not just jump on ebay and order a replacement fingerprint sensor for around $12 AUD, remove the old one and install the new one? Takes about 30 mins and very little knowhow to change, youtube is your best friend with stuff like that

I haven't personally see the guts of the s5 but I can tell you from past experience, it doesn't always go to plan.

On my old HTC Sensation, I had to replace the housing and digitizer and unfortunately I had broke a ribbon cable holder which meant the whole motherboard needed to be replaced.

I don't have a soldering iron at home either and buying Chinese parts is dodgy for me. I fixed the board but the digitizer from ebay was a clone which doesn't calibrate and is off touch.

My point is be very careful, these things are very small.
12th August 2015, 10:34 PM |#346  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDA_h3n

I haven't personally see the guts of the s5 but I can tell you from past experience, it doesn't always go to plan.

On my old HTC Sensation, I had to replace the housing and digitizer and unfortunately I had broke a ribbon cable holder which meant the whole motherboard needed to be replaced.

I don't have a soldering iron at home either and buying Chinese parts is dodgy for me. I fixed the board but the digitizer from ebay was a clone which doesn't calibrate and is off touch.

My point is be very careful, these things are very small.

Samsung phones are very simple and straight forward as long as you take your time and don't rush replacing parts is quite easy. I do a lot of Samsung repairs in my shop. As for where to get the parts from you don't have to get knock-off Chinese parts, I always buy from within my country. (Australia) the parts are always genuine and have never had any problems with new hardware. Just thought I'd share some pointers with you so you don't have to spend 3 times the cash taking your device to someone like me when its not necessary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowlingCurve For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2015, 04:14 AM |#347  

More
all i can do it hope there still hope
24th August 2015, 03:43 AM |#348  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 1,309

More
Looking at the title of this thread (new hope) reminds me of a Star Wars film......
That was science fiction too.......
I think it's the case that those phones *infected* with knox will remain *infected*......It certainly seems that it is 'hard wired' into the newer devices with no way around it......
For anybody who's not heard of XDA it simply isn't an issue, only XDA members have an issue with it (and we ARE a minority, whichever way you look at it).
Might as well get used to the fact that it's here to stay.......

Sent from my rooted, debloated stocKK kn0x0 SM-G900F
Yesterday, 11:02 AM |#349  
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I was just about to order the Galaxy S5 for myself when I read about Knox. Does it presence mean I will not be able to reset the flash counter of my phone if I have to return the phone for repair within the warranty period? I will be getting the G900H model since I live in India.
Yesterday, 01:17 PM |#350  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 1,309

More
Knox is different to a flash counter though Knox is being used 'like' a flash counter by Samsung.
A flash counter (on older devices) can be reset.....Knox CAN NOT.......
Once Knox is tripped, it'll remain tripped whatever you do....and Samsung WILL use this as a basis for denial of warranty repair......

Sent from my rooted, debloated stocKK kn0x0 SM-G900F
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)