[PARTIAL REVIEW] Jiayu G4S 16GB ROM 2GB RAM

Search This thread

magewick

Jun 4, 2013
Hi guys!

I've got myself a Jiayu G4S a few months ago, and since today I've been having a screen problem. Horizontal and vertical screen lines that doesn't always look the same and in the same place. Also, my Home and Back buttons don't work anymore. Could it be a bad connection between LCD/digitizer and a motherboard, or a bad screen? There is a video of the similar problem on youtube, but since I'm a new user I can't post external links.

Thanks!

Ouzo

Nov 30, 2007
Hi guys!

I've got myself a Jiayu G4S a few months ago, and since today I've been having a screen problem. Horizontal and vertical screen lines that doesn't always look the same and in the same place. Also, my Home and Back buttons don't work anymore. Could it be a bad connection between LCD/digitizer and a motherboard, or a bad screen? There is a video of the similar problem on youtube, but since I'm a new user I can't post external links.

Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I'm leaving towards screen damage. I guess you could try examining the motherboard connection, but if it's still under warranty that would void it.

I once damaged my HTC Sensation LCD after dropping it. I had a series of short lines across the screen. The glass was not broken. After searching I discovered a way to 'fix' it. This involved putting it in a small sealed bag (sandwich bag) with a bit of rice to absorb moisture, then putting it in the freezer for 24 hours. You have to remove the battery, SIM and SD card first of course. This fixed the problem for me. My Sensation's screen looked similar to the one in the YouTube video, but didn't go all the way across. It also didn't move around like yours. Also, the capacitive buttons never stored working. Might be worth a try if you're desperate.

magewick

Jun 4, 2013
I'm not sure, but I'm leaving towards screen damage. I guess you could try examining the motherboard connection, but if it's still under warranty that would void it.

I once damaged my HTC Sensation LCD after dropping it. I had a series of short lines across the screen. The glass was not broken. After searching I discovered a way to 'fix' it. This involved putting it in a small sealed bag (sandwich bag) with a bit of rice to absorb moisture, then putting it in the freezer for 24 hours. You have to remove the battery, SIM and SD card first of course. This fixed the problem for me. My Sensation's screen looked similar to the one in the YouTube video, but didn't go all the way across. It also didn't move around like yours. Also, the capacitive buttons never stored working. Might be worth a try if you're desperate.

It's not under warranty, I'll send it to a local guy who fixes Jiayu phones and see what' s up. It's weird that capacitive buttons don't work at the same time , since I don't think they are connected (There are digitizers selling on Aliexpress for ~$17, while the screen/digitizer bundle is selling for ~$150.

LuxZg

Jan 7, 2013
Hey guys! I've got some good news, well, a start at least. Regarding that Lollipop ROM from Jiayu.de, they've posted a kind of beta as much as I understood on the web. Original FB post is here:
https://www.facebook.com/JiayuDE/posts/838141342973783
(use built-in translate feature)

The link goes to Word document with instructions (in German), and at the end of document there are links to download ROMs for Jiayu G4S and few more models, both for CM 12 and KitKat (in case you need to go back).
CM12 direct link: https://mega.nz/#F!cNdmWLJB!u0K6RdnvPvYwYGuJ0oNMYQ

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried it yet! I'm just downloading it!

Also, you may want to check the original article from Gizchina, and check the discussion (at bottom, by Disqus) between me (Luka) and Sebastian - guy that claims is working for Jiayu.de, you'll see some comments and bickering but in the end what's important is that CM12 is online ;) He kept teasing me that I'll fix their bugs, but I don't care - they've published the ROM. I sure hope it's not just a copy/paste from russian forums :)
Link: http://www.gizchina.com/2015/08/14/...wn-launch-ota-update-app-teases-cm12-devices/

Since I still haven't tried it I can't say much, but if this "beta" of sorts has OTA already enabled that's all we need - all future updates will start appearing OTA. We'll see... When I get time I'll do an update, but that probably won't be at least another week due to lack of time :-/

Last edited:

Mbariah

Nov 23, 2012
Nairobi
OnePlus 7T
I've been using the lollipop beta for the past week now and i must say, Lollipop is amazing, despite all its current bugs..Also, the Jiayu.de version runs a bit slower than the version vova.vafin posted on needrom.
The bugs include wifi hotspot, ussd, video record so if. You can live without those then flash

Sent from my CM12.1 Jiayu G4S

LuxZg

Jan 7, 2013
Damn... Noone mentioned hotspot being buggy :-/ and unfortunately I need that to work..not often but Murphy says it will be needed if it doesn't work. Please! Keep us updated, I'm really interested in how it goes :)

Ouzo

Nov 30, 2007
I finally got fed up with the GPS on the G4S, so I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2. Why do I mention this? A) The GPS works which is just, you know, AWESOME! but B) the screen on the G4S is sooooooooooo much nicer. Our little Jiayu has more 'pop', the whites are whiter. The screen is just much better. If only the GPS worked I'd sell the Xiaomi immediately.

stu1690

Sep 1, 2014
I used my G4S for work and have not been working recently so it has sat idle for a few months. I went to check on it this morning as I was thinking of upgrading the firmware but it won't switch on.
I thought it may be the battery is flat but it won't charge and my PC won't recognise it even with the battery out!
Any ideas what is wrong or how I can revive it?

Edit
Never mind. The battery was totaly flat.
Doh!

Last edited:

Ouzo

Nov 30, 2007
I used my G4S for work and have not been working recently so it has sat idle for a few months. I went to check on it this morning as I was thinking of upgrading the firmware but it won't switch on.
I thought it may be the battery is flat but it won't charge and my PC won't recognise it even with the battery out!
Any ideas what is wrong or how I can revive it?

Have you tried leaving it on charge for long? I had a similar thing with my old Galaxy Note 2. For about ten minutes after putting it on charge there was no sign of life at all. Even the charge light wouldn't come on, but eventually it started charging. Keep an eye on it during that time in case it gets hot or something. I can't think of anything else to try.

Edit: actually when I had my G4S apart one time there was a very tiny component on the main board that looked like a mini CMOS battery like in a PC. I've no idea if that is the culprit.

Last edited:

stu1690

Sep 1, 2014
The battery was dead mate. Plugged it into the PC again and its charging. Left it for ages on the mains charger and it wouldn't charge but it now seems to be charging through the computer.

I think the charging port is on the way out as i have to wiggle it a bit for the mains to work now.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Now that it's charging and not dead.

Are there any good stable builds for the G4S. I am still on stock JB and it has been OK to date but as I am on the latest Lollipop on my main Nexus device I was wondering if KK or Lollipop is any good on the G4S?

Ouzo

Nov 30, 2007
I'm still on stock JB too. Maybe read through some of the comments for each ROM in NeedROM and see if anything looks safe. Apart from security issues and the various bugs, I don't mind JB at all.

Reactions: stu1690

danb1974

Nov 23, 2014
Timisoara
Latest stock kitkat should be fine. I'm running the one before the latest, from jiayu.es (Rom Oficial Jiayu.es 20141101-222444 G4S)

Unless most third party roms, on stock things like hotspot, filming etc. work

Had to root uninstall a few unwanted things (lovelyfonts, sysmarket, change the launcher) since they include code for some chinese app markets but it's surprisingly stable

Also may have to set via build.prop the number of matching digits on phone number (the es rom had the setting already done)

Big fat warning, kitkat changes the touch firmware, you can not revert to jellybean after upgrade (touches would be off)

There is a beta cm12 lollipop being worked on by jiayu.de team, check their facebook page. At this point many things don't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: stu1690 and Ouzo

raccoonest

Nov 7, 2013
It's known that touchscreen won't work correctly after updating from JB to KK, but I'm having a different kind of problem. I managed to break my touchscreen, so I ordered new LCD+touchscreen from Ali and replaced it. After that, I booted up the phone, the LCD was fine, but the touchscreen was completely dead. I was using Chilapos KK rom. Tried other KK roms, stocks and those by TF, but no use. Then I decided to try JB, and wow - the touchscreen was working as it should! Then tried every offical KitKat rom again, but no, it just won't work. Do you have any ideas why the touchscreen firmware won't update itself?

Ouzo

Nov 30, 2007
It's known that touchscreen won't work correctly after updating from JB to KK, but I'm having a different kind of problem. I managed to break my touchscreen, so I ordered new LCD+touchscreen from Ali and replaced it. After that, I booted up the phone, the LCD was fine, but the touchscreen was completely dead. I was using Chilapos KK rom. Tried other KK roms, stocks and those by TF, but no use. Then I decided to try JB, and wow - the touchscreen was working as it should! Then tried every offical KitKat rom again, but no, it just won't work. Do you have any ideas why the touchscreen firmware won't update itself?

Could it be that the new digitiser is defective? I ordered a new screen assembly for a Nubia Z7 Max recently and the digitiser worked very badly indeed. After a while I disassembled it and discovered that it had been very badly assembled.

a123xxsp

Dec 28, 2008
touchscrenn works FINE when updating from JB to KK,
it won't work if you downgrade to JB once you've installed a KK ROM!

raccoonest

Nov 7, 2013
touchscrenn works FINE when updating from JB to KK,
it won't work if you downgrade to JB once you've installed a KK ROM!
Yes, I understand this, but actually I have a bit different case, because my touchscreen won't work with KK at all, but works absolutely fine with JB. So for some reason, the firmware of my new touchscreen won't update when flashing the KK rom - and wondering if someone has any idea what to do about it.

Could it be that the new digitiser is defective? I ordered a new screen assembly for a Nubia Z7 Max recently and the digitiser worked very badly indeed. After a while I disassembled it and discovered that it had been very badly assembled.
Well, there's definitely something "defective" because the firmware of the touchscreen won't update from JB -> KK. But function-wise, it's working ok - but only with JB. With KK it's completely dead.

lycanwrath

May 31, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 8
I am currently having an issue where my internet connection drops when my phone recovers from sleep.
The wifi connection appears connected but internet connection goes down

Looking around on the net I saw that the issue could be fixed by flashing flashing modem (aka baseband aka radio)
Can anyone help with the this particular proceudre and provide the required files as well?

Same issue, different device:-
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...-although-wi-fi-connected-and-working-well-an

Mbariah

Nov 23, 2012
Nairobi
OnePlus 7T
Guys, I need your help..especially if you have ever broken the Jiayu G4S screen or know a thing or two about screen replacement.

So a couple of weeks ago my Jiayu g4s fell to the ceramic floor without its cover and instantly cracked. The single crack runs from the right to left of the screen around the 1/4th of the screen; slightly above the where most launchers display their docks (those icons that don't move with screen).

Problem is, everything below that cracked part is dead...I mean not working. Display is working perfectly but touch doesn't work. This means that I can't use the 3 capacitive keys: Home, Back and Menu and a smal portion of my screen. I've had to resort to raw android survival tactics like using gravity box + rotation control to completely use my phone upside down. YES, I have been using my phone Upside Down for the past 3 weeks or so...with on screen soft buttons to replace the dead ones. You can stop laughing now.

So I was initially going to wait out the MTK Helio x20 for an upgrade, but seeing that that could launch sometime in February/March better by a screen replacement earlier and maybe push for an upgrade around in June.

So my question, in regards to my situation, which do i get? 1. The complete digitizer set ($40) or 2. Just the outer screen ($13)

1. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Whit...62,searchweb201560_6,searchweb1451318400_6149

2. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fron...-mtk6589T-G4S-MTK6592-G4T-HD/32425483329.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to the mods for moving this. Sorry i posted it in the wrong place - oops!

Hey everybody. In a blatant and self serving attempt to try and cultivate interest and support in a phone that I have just purchased, I thought I would post a mini review here with a little bit of info ;)

Seriously though, if, like me, XDA as usually your one stop shop for everything phone related and you're considering buying one of the many offerings available directly from China these days, getting the right info can be hard. Sure, some info is available on other sites, but often online translation tools are necessary and it's hard to get a clear picture of what you can really expect from a prospective purchase.

I've been reading about various Chinese devices for over a year now, quietly waiting until I was sure I could get a reasonable level of performance for my money before buying one, all the while nursing my ageing HTC Sensation through daily use. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as well, but that has a broken screen so it is purely used as a mini media PC connected to a TV these days. I also have an Nvidia Tegra Note that offers great performance at a very reasonable price.

I am uncertain how much waffle you guys will want to wade through so I'll list some basic specs and then provide a few pros and cons as I see them, plus a few very basic tips that I've stumbled on in the first week, some of which will apply to similar devices that use vey similar ROMs. If you want more info, please ask.

Forum member oxiroxt has had a fairly mixed experience with their G4S, including hardware problems. details are in post 1175 here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59463919&postcount=1175

Here are the basic specs:

Jiayu G4S -

16GB ROM 2GB RAM - MediaTek Octacore A7 MT6592 SoC @1.7Ghz with Mali 450 GPU.

Dual sim card standby (one Micro SIM Card)

GSM 900/1800MHz (see screenshot below of MTK Engineer Mode which shows more bands available, including GSM850 - I haven't tested this band though)

WCDMA 900/2100MHz

Android OS: 4.2.2

4.7 inch, IPS multi points corning Gorilla II OGS touch Screen (I have my doubts about the Gorilla Glass as I have a couple of small scratches already)

Camera: Front camera 3.0 Megapixels. Back camera: 13.0 Megapixels with CMOS flashlight, auto focus

Stereo FM Radio

Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor

3000mAh battery

Dimensions: 133×65×10(mm)

What's in the box:

1 x Phone
    1 x Battery
    1 x AC Charger Adapter
    1 x USB Cable

Pros:

Price - Only £137 delivered to UK via DHL - price is falling all the time at the moment too.

Screen - Pleasing colours, better outdoor visibility than I expected.

Call quality - good, with noise cancellation microphone on rear of device (call quality better than HTC Sensation)

Performance - over 27,000 points in Antutu, nice and fluid in use. Not as quick as Tegra Note or Snapdragon 800 of course

Battery life - over five hours of screen on time in a sixteen hour period, with 37% battery remaining. I have hit eight hours of screen time twice.

Build quality - less creaky than my Note 2

Supports USB OTG

Supports USB Mass Storage when connecting to PC

Compact size - at only 65mm wide, one handed use is practical for most people.

GPU performance is not great - only two thirds of the Samsung Galaxy S4, but it's ok for Modern Combat 4. It scores 61FPS on in Epic Citadel on high detail setting (Ultra High setting unavailable).

Pre-rooted - Root can be toggled under Settings/Security (love this feature in a stock ROM)

SD card slot

Dual SIM

Removable battery

Notification Light - three colour, RGB

Cons:

Lack of developer support here on XDA for now

No MHL for TV out

Caller ID mismatch bug
    Camera below expectations - certainly worse than tweaked HTC Sensation camera

Possible wifi bug - affects things like wireless streaming if the screen is off

Deodexing ROM to work with files not 'standard' procedure

GPS - connects quickly but accuracy is still behind Qualcomm's efforts these days (much better than the old HTC Touch Pro/Raphael though!!)

Internal SD only approx. 9GB with internal storage just under a further 4GBs (It should be possible to repartition this by altering EBR1 and EBR2, but I haven't tried. iOcean have done this on their latest ROM for the X7S, decreasing phone storage to 1GB and increasing internal SD card to about 13GB - May 2014).

Screen has some backlight bleeding around bottom edges - sensitivity slightly lower than I'm used to but by no means bad.

Most sites claim 64GB Micro SDXC support - this is wrong, exFAT is not supported so you'll need to format the card to Fat32 for it to work.

English US - if you're in the UK and you change the language to English, you'll be stuck with US English language and location. To get around this you will need to toggle root on in settings/security, download Morelocales2 from the Play Store and then use it to change over to EN GB. I've edited the build.prop too.

Xposed - doesn't work at the moment due to the way the ROM is compiled (if I've understood correctly). Head over to that thread for basic details of a workaround to deodex the ROM, or download one of the customs ROMs based on stock that has been deodexed.

No 4G

Buttons are not backlit

There were issues with Facebook and Whats App but apparently all is now OK - sorry I don't use these so I haven't tried. Earlier versions of Facebook apparently work.

Recovery, Drivers for PC, Flash tools etc:

Jiayu.es app - Recoveries and tools are available from several sources, but at the time of writing the easiest way now is to download the Jiayu.es app. This now has downloads for the stock recovery, CWM, Stock ROM (European version with ASOP keyboard as opposed to Baidu which comes on the phone if you buy directly from China) as well as drivers for PC and the necessary tools to flash the ROM from a PC.

Mobile Uncle Tools - I used this to flash CWM recovery and tweak a few things before I discovered the Jiayu.es app. You can use this to back up your IMEI (NVRAM) which I highly recommend as the loss of IMEI is something I have read about frequently when people are flashing similar devices.

ROMs:

Before flashing any ROMs, I recommend using MTK Droid Tools to create a backup of your device on your PC. This includes backing up your IMEI number and every other partition. If you hit trouble you can restore your device to factory fresh. Head over to gizbeat for a tutorial and video.

Unfortunately at the moment I don't have time to try lots of ROMs (boooo!) which is frustrating, but it's also a mark of the fact that I'm just able to use the Jiayu stock ROM without too many compromises.

As the device gains in popularity there are now more an more ROMs appearing in various forums around the web. At the moment, there are a few basic choices to make. First, there are the stock ROMs 'officially' released by Jiayu. The stock ROMS are installed using SPFlashtools. Secondly there are deodexed versions of the stock ROMs that will allow you to run the Xposed framework and mods like the excellent Gravitybox. Thirdly there are ports of other ROMs, such as MIUI of ColorOS. The last two types will be installed through recovery, for which you need a custom recovery such as CWM.

One of the stock ROMs as well as both a stock recovery and CWM Recovery are available through the Jiayu.es app.

For me, the main source of ROMS remains NeedROM. There are now several recoveries, the stock ROM as well as ports of MIUI, ColorOS, YunOS and so on. This is the place I usually check first as the site is well organised and in English which makes it easier for me: http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/jiayu/g4s/

There are now a number of ROMs available here, including at least a couple of MIUI here:

http://www.592zn.com/ (use Google Translate to browse the site if needed and to find the threads relating to the Jiayu G4S ;)

Jiayu forum:

http://bbs.ejiayu.com/forum-184-1.html

Some of mite_jan's posts with recommendations/ROM related links (press thanks if you appreciate his links):

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52989103&postcount=50

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53133246&postcount=90

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53270549&postcount=134

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53284249&postcount=141

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53361043&postcount=180

Two Hidden Tweaks in ROM:

1. A limited set of developer options was already available in settings when I first booted my G4S (Stay Awake, USB Debugging, Allow Mock Locations), but if you want access to the whole lot you can repeatedly tap the Android Version section under Settings/About Phone. This will take you straight to the developer options page. By default all animations are turned off so I used this to turn them on. You will still only have access to limited developer options once you exit this page, so you will have to get tapping the next time want to go back into it.

2. An 'Advanced Settings' option in Settings menu will appear if you repeatedly tap the Build Number under Settings/About Phone. This new menu allows you to tweak the transparency separately for lockscreen, main interface and the status bar itself. There's also and option to toggle the volume key wake feature, but this doesn't do anything for me - the volume buttons always wake the phone.

General Blurb:

So far, I feel like my money has been well spent, though I'm only a week into ownership. The screen in particular has exceeded my expectations with pleasant colours and reasonable outdoor visibility (better than HTC Sensation, but not great). Whites look 'white' as opposed to having the slightly yellowy hue that has affected all the devices with AMOLED screens that I've used, not to mention the poor offering on my Tegra Note. There's more backlight bleeding around the edges than I would like though which is a pity. This is certainly not the case with all Chinese devices - the iOcean X7S, for example, has a much better screen from that point of view. Call quality has exceeded my expectations and, as with other similar devices, the firmware offers various ways to manage the dual SIM functionality. As well as binding specific contacts to a particular SIM, you can also independently choose which SIM is used for SMS, voice calls, data and video calls. You can also be prompted to choose which SIM to use on the fly each time if you prefer. Only one SIM can use WCDMA at a time, but you can choose which SIM that is without physically swapping the SIMs or rebooting the phone. I thought battery life might be poor with two SIMs in, especially as I live in a marginal area for one of the networks I use, but so far battery life has been pretty good in general use. I was surprised to get over five hours screen time and still have well over 30% battery left. Intensive games and videos can drain the battery more quickly though of course.

Build quality also appears to be pretty good for a budget device. It's certainly less creaky than my partner's Note, my Note 2 and any other number of Samsung devices that I've used. The petite dimensions are also great. The thickness of 10mm simply isn't an issue for me, especially given the generous battery under the hood. For the first week there were no noises from it at all, though there is a tiny creak from one corner of the battery cover now after many many cycles of removing and replacing it as a result of messing about with it.

The main issues I've faced so far are the fairly weak 13MP camera that introduces a lot of noise and offers poor detail in spite of a wide range of tweaking options within the app itself and a caller ID mismatch bug revolving around MIN_MATCH criteria . The latter means that if you store a contact's telephone number in domestic format (e.g. 07707 123456) then send them a text message, any reply you receive from them will be prefixed with the international country code and will be put into a separate thread. If you store their number with the international dialling code, when they call from the same country, the phone will not recognise their number. So far the easiest bodge is to store both formats for each contact, then remember to send SMS to the number will international prefix. Both these issues are deeply annoying from my perspective. See here for an explanation of the caller ID problem: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2268120

There does also appears to be a bug with wifi - if you stream films wirelessly to your TV the screen will have to remain on, which is the first time I've had this issue.

Performance is genuinely fluid if not up to Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800 standards, but it's certainly better than the Galaxy Note 2. The one area that confuses me is GPU performance. I very briefly had an iOcean X7S which has the same SoC but a 1080p screen rather than the Jiayu's 720p. To my surprise the Jiayu actually scores lower in Antutu in this area. My guess is that either this is a SoC from a different BIN compared to those going into the 1080p devices, or something else is going on to artificially limit performance. On balance, for the money, performance is fantastic and is better than other phones being offered in the UK from retail outlets at over twice the price. Personally I miss some of the features of HTCs Sense based ROMs, but not enough at the moment to shell out over £500. This is now my daily driver and unless it dies prematurely I think I'll have it for up to a year (dependent upon whether or not I get fed up with the camera). Within a year my gut feeling is that similar devices with 4G will be ready for main stream adoption :) In much the same way that sections of the motorcycling community enjoy having a flagship bike and a small capacity run around to hack, tune and mess around with, I kind of hope more XDA users will start to buy devices like the Jiayu G4S and mess around with them. I know MediaTek have been useless at releasing the source code which is a massive stumbling block, but we can still have a bit of fun with them, eh?

*UPDATES*

Battery life - on one occasion I reached just under 35 hours of up time, with 7 hours 52 minutes of screen time, with 9% battery left. Usage was a mix of a few phones calls, some text messages, two email accounts, web browsing, about thirty minutes of Shadowgun, around an hour of streaming music via A2DP and about two hours of listening to music on headphones.

Multi tasking is good when web browsing and listening to music (as it should be). Playing a game like Shadowgun whilst using a Moga Pro controller AND streaming music via Bluetooth is also absolutely fine.

Bluetooth - Bluetooth range is better than on my Tegra Note, HTC Sensation and Note 2 when streaming music. The actual quality of audio via Bluetooth is not the best. It's noticeably worse than the Note 2.

Audio quality out of the headphone jack is also not great. The built in equaliser helps a lot, but it really doesn't sound much better than Bluetooth to me.

Camera - somehow, I have dust inside the outer lens already (the outer lense being part of the sealed camera unit). UPDATE I hovered the dust out!!

As for the images themselves, I've found setting sharpness to maximum and turning off face beautification helps improve images a bit. User 'coffee' over at MTKForums.com reckons the Camera FV-5 app is great at getting the best out of the sensor in the G4S, especially if you save the images in lossless PNG format. I haven't tried it yet.

GPS - after using GPS Test to get the first lock (go outside, set the option within the app to keep the screen on and update AGPS data), subsequent locks have usually been very quick. Unfortunately accuracy in apps like Co-pilot has been very hit and miss for me. On a few occasions my location is shown on an adjacent road that is over 50 metres away. In one instance restarting the device solved the problem. I've recorded a few tracks whilst cycling using Endomondo Pro and these have been fine apart from one occasion where I stopped and went in a shop and it added a mile onto my journey!

Notification LED - this is a three colour red, green, blue unit, so you should be able to set the colour for different notifications using a third party app. I haven't tried this yet.

Charging bug - the LED will glow green when the battery is only 90% charged. The iOcean X7S has exactly the same issue.

Text/Font not being visible - if you can't see text in certain apps (Such as Titanium Backup), open the Themes app and switch to the 'System' theme.

Wired Headset - I don't have the official Jiayu Headset but I've tried Samsung and HTC's more recent offerings. The play/pause button on the Samsung headset works, but the volume buttons skip tracks instead. Play/pause works on the HTC headset, as do next/previous track, but fast forward and rewind do not. I haven't tried making calls with them yet. As there are a couple of different standards for four pole 3.5mm headsets that each have the 'ground' and 'microphone' in different positions, you will need to have the right type for the correct functionality.

USB OTG - In addition to flash drives and a small bus powered 80GB hard drive, I've also tried a 1TB WD Passport Ultra formatted to fat32 (also bus powered). Unfortunately the G4S was unable to power it. Some other devices such as a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 are able to. If you connect the drive to a powered USB hub, then connect the hub to the phone it works fine.

ROM UPDATE 20140422-121442 - For me, the caller ID bug remains :( To be more exact, if I text someone using the national telephone format (e.g. 07707 123456), when they respond the message is sent with the international dialling prefix (+44 for example) and their SMS will be placed in a different thread.

This ROM uses the same format that original phones imported from China have, i.e. it comes with Baidu IME input as opposed to the one available from Jiayu.es which has the ASOP keyboard. There are a few other differences between the Chinese and Worldwide releases. The kernel and radio etc are the same as the last two releases. I used the ext4_unpacker tool available here on XDA to have a look inside the system.img of the new release and the old release, and I think many of the libs are the same too.

One small bug that seems to be fixed is that call history times in the dialler now displays properly, rather than being obscured by other parts of the dialer.

The volume key wake toggle option in the advanced setting area still does not work (you can't prevent the volume keys from waking the phone).

With most of the themes, the problem where text in some apps is invisible remains the same. Use the 'System' theme to get around this.

USB OTG.....continued - Sadly the CSL DVB-T mini Android TV Stick doesn't work with the G4S out of the box.
    FIX - First, turn on superuser/root access in settings/security. Then download Chainfire's USB Host Diagnostics from the Play Store. Run the app, then hit Start Diagnostics. You will be prompted to plug in a USB OTG device. I used a OTG adapter and a memory stick. After the diagnostics have run and you have been asked whether or not you want to upload the results, you will be prompted that USB OTG is not working and that it might benefit from attempting a fix. Let it run the fix and then reboot the phone. The CSL TV dongle will now work :)

I guess this will probably also help with other USB OTG problems you might encounter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Receiver-Smartphones-Interface-Smartphone/dp/B00DZR3OKS#productDetails

Sample photos courtesy of user ykassana http://mtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=842
    this is the firmware i am using right now
    official latest 0609 deodexed with xposed+gravitybox and removed chinesse apps
    tested by myself 3 days it doesnt hangs at all when using xposed modules
    also latest facebook doesnt crash at all , for root go to settings>security and activate superuser
    flash from CWM but first do all the wiping

i recommend this to anyone that wants stable rom with working xposed tweaks

https://mega.co.nz/#!M8YjCZhC!R2h_61PJ7n9THWTyeAIe7HtTkIJN8s5dTbnDoG3f00c
    Damn, i'm so hesitating between this and the 1S.. Which i already know a bit. I'm afraid of the so many bug/poor performance of this jiayu.

I've been hesitant about Jiayu G4S and had been looking for alternative in the price range for about 10 days or maybe a bit more. Reading this thread helped a lot, but also was a reason for me to wait. GPS issues, caller ID bugs, trojans, camera that isn't good, buggy official KitKat, this and that. I was kind of scared by things I've read in this thread to the point I almost bought another phone!
    Now when I have phone in my hands, flashed it with that jiayupolska.pl ROM (to get rid of the Chinese apps/kbd and get an EU version), and while I do see these bugs they are much less of an issue than I thought. I was scared for nothing! Read on for more of my thoughts...

GPS could be related to WiFi / 3G connectivity, still testing, but seems to be the culprit. If internet connection is off GPS works perfectly (+/- 1m in real tracking).
    CallerID is fine on my phone, maybe because I have so many numbers on +xxx (countrycode) already, but have noticed it only in one occasion so far.
    There is Polish ROM for EU users (jiayupolska.pl, build G4SW 20140609-150354). Trojans should be absent from it, as are Chinese apps and keyboard and other unneedded stuff. And it's nice clean ROM, but with no real modifications.
    Official JB is so good that I don't see much point of forcing KitKat anyway, and there are tons of custom comunity ROMs around if you really want one. And yes, all apps work fine on it, I've tried ~50 many of which are social stuff and cloud stuff.
    Camera is variable, it's obviously great (or well, good-enough) hardware but needs right software for best results, but let's face it - no phone gets great pictures without flash in the middle of the night, even 1000$ DSLR has noise, so don't expect from 200$ phone with 1$ CMOS to beat it. On a sunny day (or in well lit room) pictures are great, and video is just as good. I actually had two "tests" with friends, once we took some group photos with my Jiayu and Galaxy S4 in the closed room, during night, with light from standard lightbulbs, and Jiayu had better photo without flash than S4 with and without flash. Also tested with friend from work against HTC One Mini 2 and photos were comparable, if not a bit better on Jiayu. That was in an office with medium lights (we like it dark ;) )
    WiFi Display obviously works, and perhaps as pointed by Ouzo wasn't problem with Jiayu at all.
    USB OTG works fine.
    Notification LED light is only red/green/blue but it's still notification, and works fine with all apps, and all occasions, and with all colors. You can also use customization apps to play with it, but I've found no reason for it so far. If I could get an app that would offer real RGB (so I could get for example pink or cyan notifications) I'd probably use it, but I'm too lazy to keep searching through them (btw, if anyone has found something like that pls write ;) )
    Both SIM cards are 3G capable and have pretty good speeds on it, on 2 different providers, and tested both microSIM and normal one (tested both with same provider, both are just as capable at the other one)
    RAM is real, real 2GB. Still have to go beyond 650MB (1.3GB free) which is great
    CPU performance is awesome, I got 27588 on Antutu test, no lag at all, all apps just jump out (I don't play many games though, but tested Carmageddon, works fine)
    Battery life is awesome, 32+ hours and still 28%, and you know how you get with new phone, always trying this and that, setting up apps and downloading new ones, I did some GPS tracking 2x by ~17 minutes and so on, by no means a light usage, and have like all possible social apps on it (FB, FB msg, FB Pages, Viber, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, ..., all running at once all the time, with 5 email accounts syncing mail/contacts/calendar... etc). I'd quote some good screen-on times, but have turned phone off while I did some tests so my stats were reset :p Plus you can get a cheap second battery anyway, so you could easily go out somewhere without power outlets for 4 days and still have your phone doing all you need. Oh yeah, and phone does charge to 100% even though green led is lit on 90%, probably due to settings in phone that 4110mV is top, but actually batery goes to ~4350mV.
    Size is great, pretty narrow bezels, and it's actually a bit smaller than some 4.2/4.3" phones around. I use it with one hand almost al lthe time, even when riding on bike, no problems, and I'm not a big-handed guy. It's a bit heavier, but battery is more than 50% of weight, so that's what should be expected from a real 3000mAh battery.
    Screen is great, way better than you'd expect from a Chinese phone of any kind, certainly way better than many more known brands in this price range.
    Storage is as it is, 16GB, and user has 9GB + 4GB, for me so far I don't need SDcard but I'll put in 16GB one I have once I clean it from backups/files of my old phone. It can be repartitioned, though that's your own call, haven't played with that so far, but it is possible as witnessed by other users.
    Dual SIM works as expected, no bugs or problems at all, calls, SMS, MMS, 3G, whatever. Good range of supported frequencies as well. Call quality is great as much as I've tested (and my second SIM is from my work where I do IT support, so I get plenty calls every day).
    WiFi strength is great, I get good signal in places where previously I'd have none at all.
    I probably missed a few points, and there are things I haven't tested yet

I actually think that opening post should be updated once more after 70+ pages of discussion, and so many new things that happened since last update. People tend to be lazy and read just first page and than last 2-3, so they skip a lot of good info in between.

Btw, I'm not saying it's perfect device, but for the money it's awesome. I've payed more for a Prestigio PAP4040 some 20 months before ordering Jiayu G4S, and while technology progressed in that time, I think much more can be credited to Jiayu for putting so many nice things in this device for the budget they had. I've played with many phones in the meantime due to my line of work, and this beats almost all of them, goes neck to neck with last year's top models from Samsung/HTC, and goes close to current top models from well known brands.

Enough of a rant :D I know I'm subjective, and probably look at some things through pink-painted glasses, but still... looks great for 195$ phone ;)
    Good news everyone !
    I found deodexed version of official firmawer on russian forum. It's providing some patches and (!) Xposed Framework. I just installed it and GravityBox is working well. I think I don't have to tell you how grateful I am to our friends in Russia. :)

Here's the link to the this topic: 4pda.ru/ forum/index.php?showtopic=572643&st=320#entry31617193
    Unfortunately I'm not able to give proper link due to the fact that I'm new XDA member.

thats why i am always grateful to them :) and as a non russian i always check 4pda and forum.china-iphone
    i have downloaded it the moment it was uploaded
    just need to get my phone

here is the link
    https://yadi.sk/d/xUx4nybLQz48a

instructions (google translated)

1.Folders. Android_secure,. Powercenter, Android and similar sight. Delete!
    2.Firmware must be on the memory card (sd-card, can in principle and put internal sd)
    3.Reboot in rekavari.
    4.Doing everything possible wipes (Wipe) except sdcard naturally
    5.Install the firmware.
    5.1. Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
    5.2. Wipe Cache Partition.
    5.3. Advanced - Wipe Dalvik Cache.
    5.4. install ZIP from sdcard
    5.5. choose ZIP from sdcard
    5.6. Next, choose your firmware volume buttons
    5.7. Next-Yes-
    5.8. Firmware goes. Waiting for
    5.9. Then Go back, Reboot system and voila rejoice!
    The first boot takes longer than usual. wait until full loading.
    Check if all is normal.
    Install the optional software required.
    Smile and say thank you!
    OFFICIAL ANDROID 4.4
    YUPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

4802229.jpg
    4802230.jpg
    4802231.jpg
    4802232.jpg

https://translate.googleusercontent...%3D210&usg=ALkJrhgrTiB1YyH09OpnzPziOKPJxqx5Cg

LINKS FOR DOWNLOAD WITH FLASHTOOL (choose firmware upgrade if download only fails)

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=4203930560&uk=1680007479

mirror

https://yadi.sk/d/h2NrBkqNVy6YU/Stock/

TWRP BACKUP

Extract to SD or internal memory and click on Restore in TWRP
    Changes:
    Removed chinesse apps

https://yadi.sk/d/NFYUSREAVyFQZ