[copy of email sent to vndnguyen]
Rooted N900S on Stock Lollipop - that's "ess" not "five" - it's basically a 5 but Korean and made for South Korea Telecom - and it doesn't have all the LTE bands opened that my European carrier uses! So I'm trying to get it into a state where the QPST tool can be used to activate those bands (I have no illusions that if I ever get QPST to SEE the phone then everything else will magically work, though!).
To do this I need the *#0808# menu. It isn't launched on dial so I installed the vndnguyen apps (for which I thank him).
By the way, SOME menus work (without these apps): *#0011# is fine (at least I can get the phone to easily recognize the activated bands that are available in my region).
With the vndnguyen apps the following occurs, even for the menus that do work from the dialer
- Method 1 does nothing (i.e. there is no visible change on the phone - I remain in the secret code list)
- Method 2 brings up the dialer with the code in it - so the number isn't recognized as a secret code
- Method 3, for the codes that are already recognized, brings up the dialer with the code which quickly clears ... and then nothing (i.e. I remain in the dialer with a cleared number entry pane) - so the code is recognized by the dialer but the target menu does not appear.
- Obviously, with Method 3 for codes that are not otherwise recognized, the dialer opens with the code and nothing happens (c.f. Method 2)
- Method 0 - that asks for root permission (granted), waits a couple seconds, then shows me the Java exception "AndroidException: Can't connect to activity manager; is the system running?"
If I wasn't already bald I'd be tearing my hair out.