[Q] Nexus 7 hangs at "Google", can't enter Recovery

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 4
By thisisjjd, Member on 11th February 2014, 11:13 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
21st September 2015, 05:32 AM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 2
I... think I am on the same list I don't understand what is going on here. It's all the more strange because the previous Nexus 7 that I bought in 2013 was fine with rooting and flashing. I had to get a new one because I dropped it and the screen wouldn't function. I bought one off of Ebay that looks to be made in 2015, according to the barcode.

So the issue with mine is...

It came with 5.0.2, and after turning it on, it installed a bunch of updates that eventually got me to 5.1.1. Cool beans. But for some off reason, the tablet would freeze randomly and reboot. I thought maybe something was wrong with the OS, so I tried to restore it to factory settings. Still got random reboots. So I thought I would try to flash back to KitKat. Downloaded the image from Google's list of factory images, but it would never get past the Google screen. I then redownloaded 5.0.2 and that seemed to get it to work. Updated again to 5.1.1. and the tablet ran fine for about a day.

Now today...I left it to charge. About an hour later, I checked the tablet and it was again, stuck on the Google screen. I never turned it off or anything, so I don't know what happened. Every time I turn it off, it would just turn right back on. I tried to go to recover mode, but like the OP, it just hangs on the Google screen, never gets to the Android lying on its back. Tried to turn it off again, nope, keeps on turning on.

Since it wouldn't go back to recovery mode, I left it at the bootloader, and tried to flash 5.0.2 and 5.1.1 using BOTH WUG's Nexus Root Toolkit, and just a regular adb cmd window. There are no errors in the logs, but neither one gets me past the Google screen.

So... on a scale of 1 to 10, how screwed am I?
21st September 2015, 06:28 PM |#82  
Forum Moderator
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 2,495
As far as anyone seems to be able to tel, a 10. I dont know how crazy people have went with diagnosis, but it appears to be an issue with the EMMC corrupting/dying for one reason. When it happens, your only choice is a new motherboard, and cross your fingers that it doesn't happen again.
23rd September 2015, 06:46 PM |#83  
Thanks Meter: 51
A couple of days ago I posted some questions regarding this bricking issue in another thread, especially regarding whether anybody knows how the prevent a Nexus 7 from bricking (as there are obviously enough people around here who's devices are still running fine).

As there were no answers here are my own conclusions:
You need to avoid any official OTAs: It's obvious when googling this (and checking e.g. twitter (#nexus7bricked) that over the last weeks there have been a lot of new complaints about bricked devices - this coincides with the recent security OTAs for 5.1.1 that Google has rolled out. OTAs like these will now be rolled out monthly, which means we'll see more bricked Nexus 7s every single month.

So one could come to the conclusion that those bricks are caused directly by the OTAs. BUT: A lot of people report that after an OTA they were operating their device normally - until their devices "spontaneously" bricked. I have however not read any reports of custom ROM users who have experienced these issues; maybe I missed those posts or those people just didn't mention it. Anyway, I've got the impression that this is only caused by the official firmware and especially in relation to applying official OTAs.

Therefore, if you don't want to brick your device again: Don't use the official stock firmware at all. If it's currently still on an official stock firmware: under any circumstances, don't apply any OTA, ever, at all. Only flash custom ROMs, and to be save, flash a custom ROM and kernel that is F2FS capable, with first formatting everything - even /system (and /cache) - with F2FS. Once you have done that, you might want to use trim sometimes (yes, F2FS takes care of trimming, however it is still possible to manually trim F2FS partitions nowadays with the latest F2FS implementations and it *will* have an effect). There's a proper trimming app out now that doesn't want your money nor any crazy permissions as it was the case with the only available trimming app in the past. You can find it here: (root obviously required).

Unfortunately people mostly focus on F2FS support only for the old Nexus 7 2012 tablet which suffers from degrading storage anyway, for which F2FS is merely a damage control measure so that you can keep using it for a while longer until the device will permanently be close to unusable.
3rd October 2015, 08:55 AM |#84  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 1
Originally Posted by Haggster66

I have to say I'm surprised that there are still unbricked Nexus 7s around: Has the issue ever occurred after flashing custom ROMs or is it only happening when updating via stock OTAs?!

I have checked all Q&A threads that might be related but haven't found any official brick avoidance strategy in order to prevent this from happening.

Buy a Tablet with higher quality flash controller and flash memory is solution. Premature wear on flash chip exhaust write cycles leading to failure. If bug in memory controller firmware they may have fixed it in one of the 5.1.x builds but your chips are already damaged if you ran previous build or that firmware failed to update and it is still running buggy wear levelling routine.

Smell a lawsuit if Asus does not keep fixing those affected for free. Mine was fixed free out of warranty. Had to dispute the invoice they tried to stick me with. Only cost me shipping.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using XDA Premium HD app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

boot, hang, recovery, stuck

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread