FORUMS

TiVo app blocks streaming on rooted phones (formerly TiVo app not working)

625 posts
Thanks Meter: 201

By DrPhant0m, Senior Member on 11th March 2014, 07:37 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
12th October 2015, 08:17 PM |#121  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Thanks for asking because it made me look, and while I still have Substrate installed, it's currently not linked/enabled.
Therefore, TiVo app must have relaxed its "modified device" checks! A step in the right direction, hooray!

So @rey_1178 seems maybe it does have to do with ROM - probably does a check for non-OEM identifiers or something.

Well, then, I reckon I'll have to give this another try....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

12th October 2015, 08:52 PM |#122  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:

Thanks for asking because it made me look, and while I still have Substrate installed, it's currently not linked/enabled.
Therefore, TiVo app must have relaxed its "modified device" checks! A step in the right direction, hooray!

Yeah, I think what happened was, there were lots of folks reporting false positives (meaning, the app wouldn't stream for them on their NON-rooted devices, and gave that same error) so thankfully TiVo had to do the right thing and just turn that mechanism off entirely.

I was really happy to see this change, and I hope it stays that way.
14th October 2015, 02:46 PM |#123  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Quote:

Possibly. I'm running stock ROM with root.

Root Cloak (via Xposed) and Root Cloak Plus (via Cydia Substrate) are completely different animals, so definitely worth a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Unfortunately this is a no go. I don't want to go back to touchwiz so maybe I'll have to consider a sling box.
14th October 2015, 04:47 PM |#124  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Slingbox is a great solution. Slingbox's adaptive streaming, and thorough ability to stream any content (including live TV) coming from your TiVo, are great. I wish they'd work past IR control though (and used network control instead) because the laggy UI can be a drag. And using a Slingbox takes over that TiVo, so others still at home would be stuck watching whatever the Slingbox does. That said, it's still a very solid solution for travelers and place-shifters.

Also take a look at this Plex Media Server plug-in that accesses your home's TiVo and makes your recordings available for streaming/downloading to Plex clients: https://github.com/TheCase/Tivo.bundle
(Discussion here.)

And also, assuming you have a TiVo Stream device, or integrated Stream ability in your Roamio or Bolt, take a look at TiVo's own web app for streaming, at least to your laptop. It's pretty slick. http://online.tivo.com
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
tivo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)