Soft reset in htc desire

Search This thread

juanjitos

Sep 3, 2008
Hello, someone can tell me how to do a soft reset to htc desire, there is some key combination or there is some software to do it?.
Thanks

RaptorRVL

Jun 7, 2005
keep the power button pressed for a longer time. a menu will be shown. select power down (phone will now shut down), press power button again. et voila! you have 'rebooted' your phone!

RetroFlux

Nov 22, 2006
There was an app on the market called quick boot I think, never used it myself but you could try that, although it may need root and the desire will probably be too new to work with it, so maybe one to keep an eye on.

Dunbad

Dec 3, 2009
Kent
Sorry for such a noob question, but the reply above, is that not simply turning the device.off and on again as opposed to rebooting, or carrying out a soft reset? Coming from an iPhone and wm before that, i was led to believe there was a difference. Removing the battery with the device on was a soft reset, rebooting the iPhone was also slightly different from turning it off and on again. ?
I would also like to know if we could do a soft reset without having to take back cover off and remove battery?
Thanks

D-fens

Nov 5, 2008
Białystok
I have to take back cover of my Desire to reset it. Turning off doesn't work in my case. Simply - last time I was waiting 15 minutes and it still displaying 'shutting down'. I can't shutdown my phone.

gimsig

May 1, 2010
Hi, I guess you want to reset HTC Desire without taking it a part:).
Check this video on youtube on how to do it.
youtube.com/watch?v=L58SK9dhrVc
Add www, i couldn't post the link as i'm new user.
Hope tis helps.

D-fens

Nov 5, 2008
Białystok
Hi, I guess you want to reset HTC Desire without taking it a part:).
Check this video on youtube on how to do it.
youtube.com/watch?v=L58SK9dhrVc
Add www, i couldn't post the link as i'm new user.
Hope tis helps.

I think you didn't catch what we are talkin about. Soft reset doesn't meen we would like to erase all data and revert back to factory settings.

My phone is not able to shut down even after one hour after pressing: power botton for a moment -> power off. Any clues?

awf

May 9, 2008
I think you didn't catch what we are talkin about. Soft reset doesn't meen we would like to erase all data and revert back to factory settings.

My phone is not able to shut down even after one hour after pressing: power botton for a moment -> power off. Any clues?

@ d-fens
Strange indeed soft reset works here fine but used it only a few times :cool:

Maybe a hard reset forces to reinstall the o/s correct and solves you're problem because it should work via the power button...

Do you get the pop-up menu with the different choices?

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London

Maybe a hard reset forces to reinstall the o/s correct and solves you're problem because it should work via the power button...

Do you get the pop-up menu with the different choices?

what the hell are you people talking about?
a soft reset is a way to restart the phone using an option in the phone, perhaps an app

so when there's the option to POWER OFF the phone, there is the option to RESTART the phone

mojavaid36

Apr 5, 2009

Maybe a hard reset forces to reinstall the o/s correct and solves you

what the hell are you people talking about?

a soft reset is a way to restart the phone using an option in the phone, perhaps an app

so when there's the option to POWER OFF the phone, there is the option to RESTART the phone

that's right.

Sent from my HTC Desire using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

D-fens

Nov 5, 2008
Białystok
I got the popup menu when I press power button for a while but when I press first option to shut down the phone - it does not shut down. Shuting down message displays for ages and nothing happens.

Sent from my HTC Desire using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

gimsig

May 1, 2010
Sorry, I think I got it wrong. D-fens - what you have done is fine, taking out the battery, judging by htc website
htc.com/europe/howto.aspx?id=721&type=1&p_id=312
but I don't know why wouldn't it shut down with power button, it works fine with my.

Dunbad

Dec 3, 2009
Kent
I think I know what your trying to get at, the problem is in your phone, unmount your SD card, I suspect its faulty. This will I suspect work. Try it and tell us how you get on. I'm assuming switching the phone off and on again is the same as rebooting or soft reset on Android.

OnlinePredator

Feb 6, 2009
Lol mega fail answers. I think currently there is no way to soft reset your phone without going the long way of turning it off and turning it on again. Quite annoying I know, but you should not have to soft reset your phone much at all, if you do then there is a prob with software etc. I have only soft reset my phone maybe 2-3 times in the few weeks I have had it for.

But again I believe the question is:

Is there an app or some special way to soft reset the desire, without removing battery or without pressing and holding power button and selecting turn off, as both these methods simply turn the device off and are not actually resetting the device...

eViL D:

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 14, 2006
Use quickboot or root boot. I personally use root boot. Works fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Private_Investor, no, it's not safe to say that :) Actually there is a soft reset (or reboot, as you like) combination.

I'm not sure, if it still still unknown to OP but this might help someone else. All you need to do is to press Power+VolDown+TrackPad simultaneously and voila - your HTC Desire is rebooting. I have to say it was really exciting to read this thread from the beginning. I'm afraid now it can be closed.

PS: Personally I would recommend to press Power+TrackPad first and then VolDown shortly (keeping first two pressed, of course), this will prevent the volume level to decrease before the reboot.