Difference between ROM and Kernel?

Search This thread

Svarto

Aug 19, 2009
Hello,

Sorry for this very basic question, I am just wondering what is the difference between a Kernel and a ROM? I see in the development forum there are lots of new Kernels, what are these actually optimizing except underclocking or undervolting (understand that terminology). I am also wondering if the Kernels are specific for the original Nexus One 2.1 Android or can you install for example Modaco or Cyan ROM and then a different random Kernel?

Thanks!

halorin

Aug 9, 2007
To my understanding, a kernel is what directly interacts with the hardware. Every OS has this, but it's more customizable on our phones since it's based on Linux. The Rom contains the OS itself, and the software and file structure therein. The kernel even can tell the OS how fast the processor goes and how much juice to use from the battery.

Hope that makes sense, as I'm no expert. You can mix and match the two as far as I know. I've mixed them, anyway.

codesplice

Jun 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
Halorin,
Based on what you said, with my stock vibrant ROM 2.1 JI6 update, it is possible to change the kernel or install another kernel (like the CM kernel)?

That is really a question better suited to the rom 's development thread, but in general yes you can flash a different kernel. Some kernel/rom combinations work better than others, but you really wont know until you try. Get comfortable with nandroid backups and start trying out different kernel combinations until you find one you like.

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
Usually most custom roms will include a kernel but they usually have tweaks like coding for 720p, oc, and audio tweaks and what not. Alsways do a nandroid back up and start exploring. When flashing kernels always wipe, I think their are exceptions but its best to wipe just in case. Browse XDA, download a kernel from your phone browser, rom manager install from SD, should be in your downloads folder, backup and wipe, repeat until your phone does what you want.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Seshu9899

May 1, 2011
Kakinada
which is the better to install???

Thank you your post..

but i can't understand clearly.
so.,

which one is better to install NewRom / Kernal. for android phones.

Dude Random21

Dec 27, 2010
Neither one is better it just depends on what you want to do.

If you want to totally change over your phone to look and function differently then you need to flash a ROM if you just want to keep the same look but want to enable lets say overclocking then flash an overclocked kernel. If it has to do with the hardware mostly then it's probably something that the kernel can change. Although like mentioned above if you flash a ROM most of the time it will come with a custom kernel.

codesplice

Jun 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA

If you want to totally change over your phone to look and function differently then you need to flash a ROM if you just want to keep the same look but want to enable lets say overclocking then flash an overclocked kernel. If it has to do with the hardware mostly then it's probably something that the kernel can change. Although like mentioned above if you flash a ROM most of the time it will come with a custom kernel.

What he said.

ROMs and kernels are two separate things that have two separate functions. Neither is better than the other, but they do complement each other.

Reactions: ijustknow

bassmadrigal

Jun 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
bassmadrigal.com
Thank you your post..

so.,

I know both Dude Random21 and codesplice have gone into this, but to try and give a bit more info...

The kernel is kinda like the nervous system of the body. It directly interacts with the hardware (which is how it is able to adjust CPU speed) and it is what allows the ROM to function.

The ROM is the rest of the body. Every other aspect of the phone. In fact, most ROMs include custom kernels. Various ROMs give you various features/enhancements/bugfixes. You will probably notice the biggest change in your phone if you load a custom ROM. Most people load the custom kernels to help with battery life as a lot of them allow you to lower the phones minimum processing speed from 245Mhz to 128MHz.

The ROM can change so many different aspects of how the phone works. There is CyanogenMod which is based off of stock Android with a lot of tweaks, bugfixes, and new features added. There is also MIUI, which is similar to the iOS style (not the same, but much closer than stock Android), and then there are a ton others out there.

Seshu9899

May 1, 2011
Kakinada
Then which Rom is best for my samsung galaxy s???

so i am using froyo.jpjpg on my galaxys.
i want to flash new Rom with upgaraded to gingerbread.

can i flash only rom../ kernal also.

which is best Rom for samsung galaxys.
cynogenmod, miui, .?????

battery drain is very fast now ian running rom/kernal.

Reactions: galabservices
J

jorgemvo

Nandbackup + Rom & Kernel

One question: when I do a backup with CWM, it is the Nandroid backup you talk about, correct...? Same thing? So, if I do a backup with CWM, it's a backup only of the ROM, or also the stock Kernel...? Imagine that I do a Rom (GingerDX for example), and flash with a custom Kernel.... If things go bad and I do a restore from my backup (stock) CWM, what do I restore? Rom, or Rom + (stock) Kernel...?

bassmadrigal

Jun 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
bassmadrigal.com
Yes, a backup that is done in ClockworkMod (or Amon_RA) is considered a nandroid backup. And this takes a complete snapshot of your system. Your ROM, your kernel, your apps and your data are all inlcuded. The only thing that isn't included is the fat partition on your sdcard. So if things go bad and you restore your nandroid backup, it will go back to however it was when you made the backup.

auldthief

Feb 21, 2011
New Bombay
Hi!
I am currently running Lite'ning ROM 6.1. XXKH3 Kernel version 2.6.35.11-ninphetamine-2.0.5+ ninpo@titan #20 on SGSII. Phew. :)
I've tried a lot of ROMS including MIUI, villain, galmetMIUI ICS version . I like Lite'ning ROM because it gave me the least (virtually Nil) problems (FCs/ reboots) and has almost all the features I need (TV-out that's missing from MIUI, good camera with panorama mode, Recording mode in phone). However I miss the CIFS feature. Is it because the kernel does not support it? Can I get CIFS support if I flash another kernel? Any suggesstions on which Kernel should I flash? I realise that this ROM is pretty old now so Can I get additional features with a newer Kernel.

Reactions: ijustknow
Dec 7, 2011
Allentown, Pa
What he said.

ROMs and kernels are two separate things that have two separate functions. Neither is better than the other, but they do complement each other.

That made everything clear. Thanks man. I'm new to the xda but already flashed a new rom that overclocked my CPU to 1.5 and my HTC Sensation 4G Is running so much better right now. However I wish i knew how to thank people... because i see the thanks meter but cannot find where to thank from.

Reactions: ph22283

jsyi84

Aug 26, 2010
Encinitas
That made everything clear. Thanks man. I'm new to the xda but already flashed a new rom that overclocked my CPU to 1.5 and my HTC Sensation 4G Is running so much better right now. However I wish i knew how to thank people... because i see the thanks meter but cannot find where to thank from.

The rom didn't overclock your phone. The kernel did. READ. You came to the MT4GS forum starting up a storm for people not giving you a direct link to the regular MT4G. How is it you cant find the freakin' "thanks" button? THERE'S A FREAKIN' THANKS BUTTON IN EVERY FREAKIN' POST. OPEN YOUR FREAKIN' EYES.

Reactions: ph22283

ph22283

Nov 19, 2011
Sori m jst new here..jst b0ught my f0ne 2 m0nths ago. Flashed r0m: gingercrime ITA, flashed kernel: ver 2.6.35.14 v6. And iv overclock my fone 245-710Mhz, smartass. fone: lg optimus one, running on gingerbread 2.3.3

Many thanx xda developers..!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The kernal is contained by and is the core of the ROM. The ROM accesses hardware services via the kernal.

The kernal wraps (abstracts) the hardware so that all the other aspects of the ROM can make simplified calls to the kernal when they want to access the hardware in some way.

So the kernal is an interface to the hardware. It's value is in wrapping the hardware into a nice set of API calls for the ROM that abstract away the messy details of interacting with the hardware.

Otherwise every part of the ROM would have to know the ins and outs of the hardware. This leads to bloated, fragile components.

So yes you can alter the kernal independently of the ROM. But you must ensure that when replacing your kernal your ROM can still understand how to make calls into it. i.e. Not all kernals are compatible with all ROMs. When you do a ROM update however you are typically replacing both the ROM and the kernal. i.e. the kernal is bundled with in your ROM update.

But when you do something like rooting. You are replacing your "bundled" kernal with one that allow you superuser access to core of the OS/ROM. So in this instance the outer shell (i.e. the ROM) is being left as is and you are just replacing the inner core. i.e. kernal.

hth
    Richard
    To my understanding, a kernel is what directly interacts with the hardware. Every OS has this, but it's more customizable on our phones since it's based on Linux. The Rom contains the OS itself, and the software and file structure therein. The kernel even can tell the OS how fast the processor goes and how much juice to use from the battery.

Hope that makes sense, as I'm no expert. You can mix and match the two as far as I know. I've mixed them, anyway.
    Thank you your post..

so.,

I know both Dude Random21 and codesplice have gone into this, but to try and give a bit more info...

The kernel is kinda like the nervous system of the body. It directly interacts with the hardware (which is how it is able to adjust CPU speed) and it is what allows the ROM to function.

The ROM is the rest of the body. Every other aspect of the phone. In fact, most ROMs include custom kernels. Various ROMs give you various features/enhancements/bugfixes. You will probably notice the biggest change in your phone if you load a custom ROM. Most people load the custom kernels to help with battery life as a lot of them allow you to lower the phones minimum processing speed from 245Mhz to 128MHz.

The ROM can change so many different aspects of how the phone works. There is CyanogenMod which is based off of stock Android with a lot of tweaks, bugfixes, and new features added. There is also MIUI, which is similar to the iOS style (not the same, but much closer than stock Android), and then there are a ton others out there.
    Hello,

Sorry for this very basic question, I am just wondering what is the difference between a Kernel and a ROM? I see in the development forum there are lots of new Kernels, what are these actually optimizing except underclocking or undervolting (understand that terminology). I am also wondering if the Kernels are specific for the original Nexus One 2.1 Android or can you install for example Modaco or Cyan ROM and then a different random Kernel?

Thanks!