1,872 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,860

Post Reply Email Thread
16th October 2015, 01:56 AM |#3431  
Thanks Meter: 1,252

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazie1

Can anyone upload the Partition Fixer from Invisiblek, link isn't working anymore

EDIT: Nevermind I found my backup

can share ?

"all i can really do is stay out of my own way and let the will of heaven be done"

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy911

OK I wiped and reloaded with any encrypt or other apps. I am still getting the same issues. I have dupl icates of call waiting forwarding and privacy and they do not work.

I got the static issue but that is easily resolved.

I reread this entire thread and one comment struck me as a possible lead. Someone mentioned that various RUU firmware versions seem to work better for the did her of cm. In other word match up the Firmware her to the cm versions at the time they were being used.

Before I did this upgrade I RUU Verizon's latest firmware. As you can see from my post above that has the firmware her and date. That means its likely most compatible with android 5.1 thus the latest stable cm 12.

First what do you all think? Is this a likely possibility for the issue?

If so what very of firmware should I be looking for? I was on kitkat 4.4.3 IIRC prior to the RUU. Was only running a unlocked rooted Verizon stock ROM

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

I really wanted to stick to cm11 from a security standpoint as its been vetting for so long now. But then again my eventual plan is to end up with a ROM like copperhead and they are basing it off cm 12.1.

The goal is a hardened android kernel and ROM. The other reason is cm11 when encrypt is faster than those based on android 5 series so.,..........

Not sure where to go from here

!! thats what i'm after. hardened , more secure.
as far as firmware ; my best guess is that your ok if your ahead of ROM version. not so much if your behind ROM version. at least thats how it rolled in my S3 days.
not meaning offence , but you did DL CM for your carrier correct ?

"all i can really do is stay out of my own way and let the will of heaven be done"[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------
@bigeasy911 , here is a thread that might interest you.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3163302

"all i can really do is stay out of my own way and let the will of heaven be done"[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

[/COLOR @bigeasy911 and another. although not building for m8 yet. but fingers crossed.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3155267

"all i can really do is stay out of my own way and let the will of heaven be done"

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

can you post link for "copperhead" (even though i am on att) my searches are comming up empty. would like to read about it.

16th October 2015, 08:32 AM |#3432  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks for those links I knew most of it but the UNA Rom link gave me some ideas on the implementation side. Not sure what to think of the ROM itself as I would not touch one as a general rule that did not show source especially after making kernel level changes.

Here is the Copperhead link: https://copperhead.co/android/ They have moved to CM 12.1 as there base from 11. The way they go about it allows them to update in a streamlined manner which will add in longevity of there ROM IMO

My thought is it should be no different than any ROM to port. Issue is I have not done actually manual porting before. Take some time and read the way they manage the github repository. I really like the way they are working it. Basically they verify but keep as much heavy lifting for big boys like CM and AOSP. Basically the way they are working the code changes it fits very well with updates to Android source. They then are left with review and patching security privacy holes.

Its sad that one of the biggest threats we have to the privacy and security of our data on Android is Google. Sorry but I can not see how a company can walk a like between consumer privacy and be the largest data miner outside the NSA/FC complex.

Anyways to bring this back to CM on HTC: I will try loading the 12.1 latest stable release of CM and see how that works in terms of these specific issues.

I still do not understand how I am getting these issues and no one else is. I have redownloaded the latest CM11 and confirmed the hash. Given Verizon is the largest pool of M8....... I just do not get it.

Not that I would expect anyone to do it but it would sure be useful if someone with a verizon HTC ONe M8 with the updated RUU firmware could try this install and see if they end up with the same issues. If I had a second one it would already be done.

Then again if someone would help me with porting Copperhead its very possible that would be where I would stay. I still need to dig thru the github changes etc more thoroughly; but on the broad brush look thru it seems solid.

Again guys thanks for all your help on this as I do want to use CM11 over 12 if possible currently
The Following User Says Thank You to bigeasy911 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigeasy911 Ad-Free
16th October 2015, 09:34 AM |#3433  

More
oh. nexus5 and galaxy S4. wish i could help with porting. practically computer illiterate. what i've learned ; which isnt alot , has all been from my rooting/modding my mobile.(dont own a PC).if you happen to get a test build , i sure will be a tester. thanks for the link.

16th October 2015, 04:52 PM |#3434  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,351

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrocketdog

oh. nexus5 and galaxy S4. wish i could help with porting. practically computer illiterate. what i've learned ; which isnt alot , has all been from my rooting/modding my mobile.(dont own a PC).if you happen to get a test build , i sure will be a tester. thanks for the link.

Here is the Partition Fixer for Internal Storage ever Appearing Empty on the HTC One M8, place on External SD Card
Attached Files
File Type: zip partition_fixer_cm11_&_cm12.zip - [Click for QR Code] (178.4 KB, 24 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to krazie1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krazie1 Ad-Free
17th October 2015, 05:18 AM |#3435  

More
I am sorry is that partition fixer something that is needed by all or only those that have sort of file system compatibility issues causing the issue you mention. I have not had an issue accessing my ext-sd on either CM11 or 12 so far.

One thing on CM12.1 where are hte call forwarding settings? I looked under phone apk settings an where I had duplicates that did not function under that CM11 version now I do not see any call forwarding settings. Again this is a verizon phone so maybe something there?

Anyone on Verizon with HTC M8 One and CM12.1 that has forwarding settings where they can add phone numbers to have forward under different circumstances.
17th October 2015, 05:54 AM |#3436  

More
well if not had partition problems then dont need. i requested it for a 'just-in-case' if needed to keep in in my stockpile.
prob. another dumb question @bigeasy , but have you asked in the verizon help/troubleshooting/Q&A thread ?

17th October 2015, 07:45 AM |#3437  

More
No actually as I thought it might have been something simple with the CM load or maybe a config issue I did not understand thus I started here. That is where I will head next. I just do not like to have the same questions posted all over the place so I try to keep it in one place.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigeasy911 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigeasy911 Ad-Free
7th November 2015, 02:52 PM |#3438  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Regarding cm-11 issues, here's what I know:

Audio: cm-12.1 supports the amps now, and audio is immensely improved. No plans AFAIK to go to the effort to backport this 2 versions back, so this alone may compel you to move to L

Wifi/BT/FM: The firmware for these (for the wcnss chip) is now included in cm-12.1 so your flashed version does not matter. The version that is included seems to be the most stable with the drivers and code included in cm-12.1. If you're using an older version like cm-11, you'll probably want to try different firmware versions if you have problems with these.

Telephony/LTE/etc: Firmware matters a lot in all cases. Like above, if you're having problems here, you may want to try flashing each firmware version in turn. There have been conflicting reports regarding what works best, so I think trying each is really your best bet for these types of issues.

@bigeasy911, as mentioned, the audio issues you discuss are fixed in future versions through support of the amp, but if viper is working for you, this may not be a concern for you (I noticed a non-negligible increase in battery usage with it, and found it overall to be loaded with too many confusing settings, so I never stuck with it very long).

The phone settings issues may have something to do with firmware, but it's not something I ever remember seeing. I can't even find those settings on cm-12.1, and I've never set up call forwarding or call waiting from my phone (I have dialed the Verizon numbers to set those up, as in http://www.verizonwireless.com/suppo...rwarding-faqs/). I'm not sure if you're seeing options you shouldn't even have (i.e., that aren't supported), or if you're seeing options that should be there but aren't working.

Finally, just a comment: I'm not sure how sticking with cm-11 long after it's supported with security patches should be considered hardened and more secure. I seem to remember several CVEs fixed in cm-12 and cm-12.1 that didn't make their way all the way back to cm-11 (or they did but new builds weren't queued with those changes). Some were from AOSP and some from cm specifically. In this case, if you want secure, I'd say you want the latest code with the latest patches.
11th November 2015, 07:37 AM |#3439  

More
Well you have made the exact case that ended up getting me to break down and move ahead to 12.1. There were just way too many positives in terms of improved performance I got from it to deal with the issues of 11. I really did not need or care about the extra usability features that were added with 5.1 but the improved perf and stability was what sold me along with the improved encryption setup. I just wish and frankly can not understand why with the full encryption they did not include an option to encypt the Ext-sd card. I can do that thru a mutli step process using truecrypt on a PC then using one of the few apks that allows access to those types of encrypt partition mounts or per file. So its do about.

Yes the phone options was a real weird one for me too. I have seen them mentioned by others using 11 but like when I switched to 12 they are no where to be found. After some deeper digging it appears that its because of Verizon that they would not have worked in any case as they handle that functionality thru keypad functions. But in either case something was very screwy about the 11 load and it was not a fluke as I went from complete full wipe on the phone and re-downloaded the CM file comfirming hash a number of times and did multiple reinstalls. Every time duplicated the same thing. My guess is it had to do with me upgraded to the latest released firmware which did not come out till 5.1 had been out for some time.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the various issues I had. Its always appreciated.

My ideal would be if someone could or was willing to port Copperhead OS to a HTC one. I just have not had the time to learn or have a second phone so I can be down my phone to practice to learn thru trail and error how to port.

But over all I have gotten it pretty secured. No gapps of any kind Fdroid only. All bloat wear and closed source apk are gone. Secure SMS and SIPS setup. Tor and VPN setup.Af+wall Kill the wifi global call back to google. Damn that thing is tenacious. It looks like it a ip6 protocol but its really ip4. Set it to a loopback for now. Eventually I will set it a page page set locally to give it full normal function.

I guess if I am going to do everything correctly I will need to spend some time learning how to program android and start with a vanilla AOSP and go from there. I would like to have something a kind to what Guardian ROM was going to be.

I am actually just finishing some new configuration in my laptop which I run Qubes OS on. Rather amusing as E-systems which was acquired by Raytheon years ago had a dedicted system very similar for its time as Qubes. The complete setup to include the hardware( nothing too special) and software was $76K back then. That was a workstation model. Now I we have something far more powerful and useful open source and does not take a SCI clearance to purchase. LOL
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)