Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,615 Members 46,251 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Boot animation preview [7/7/10] - Lucky Day

Tip us?

camalot
Old
(Last edited by camalot; 13th July 2010 at 01:16 AM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 126

DONATE TO ME
Default Boot animation preview [7/7/10] - Lucky Day

This is a tool for windows that will allow you to preview a boot animation (bootanimation.zip) file before applying it to your device. If you have the SDK in your environment path, it will also allow you to apply the boot animation to the device. I have tested about 50 boot animations and only had 2 that wouldn't load, and they didn't load because there was an invalid line in the desc.txt file.

Requirements
  • .NET Framework 4.0
  • Windows XP or later
  • Android SDK added to Environment path (to set the boot animation on the device, if you don't have it in the path, you just cant set it from the app)
  • Boot Animation files to open (you can pull one off your device @ /system/media/bootanimation.zip)

This is the dialog to create an animation, it takes a directory, analyzes the "parts" and creates the desc.txt from the values entered in the property grid. Then asks where to save the animation and names it based off the name of the folder.

The other feature that BAP offers, is the ability to export a boot animation as an animated GIF. It will try the best it can to create a gif that will do the animation justice. The export can take some time, and can be somewhat large, depending on the number of images, parts, and "loops" of the boot animation.

Below is an export of the CyanogenMOD 5.07-test2 boot animation

Here is the download for this boot animation, I do not remember where I found to, so if you created it please let me know and I link to your thread instead.

if your interested in more boot animations, here is my skydrive with all the boot animations I have. there may be some dupes in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bapscreen.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	321602  
Attached Files
File Type: zip BootAnimationPreview.1.5.zip - [Click for QR Code] (180.9 KB, 12457 views)
Droid Explorer - The #1 Open Source Android Manager
MTM Gingerbread Keyboard - w/ Working Haptic Feedback
Mount Manager - CIFS/NFS Manager for Root Users
follow me | circle me
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to camalot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blazingwolf
Old
Thanks Meter 401

DONATE TO ME
Thanks very much for this. It will come in very handy.
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (Rooted NC5), Nook HD (CM11)

In fire and EMS? Check out my apps on Google Play Pumper Calc and Code Log.

camalot
Old
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 126

DONATE TO ME
I've made some updates to the application. It now gives you more control when exporting to a gif, you can set the quality and set how many times the "infinite loop" section should loop (if there is one that loops forever). These settings can decrease the size of the file, plus the amount of time it takes to create the animated gif. The better the quality, the longer it will take to process, also the more loops, the longer it will take and the gif will be larger.

See OP for new download.
Droid Explorer - The #1 Open Source Android Manager
MTM Gingerbread Keyboard - w/ Working Haptic Feedback
Mount Manager - CIFS/NFS Manager for Root Users
follow me | circle me

PeRRiiN
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Is it possible for you to upload the boot animation of the green android on the second GIF? I loved it and i would like to put it on my phone without flashing CM 5.0.7 (i have 5.0.6 already)

thank you.

Armando Penblade
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I may just be misunderstanding how to operate this, but I unzipped the .exe to my sdk tools folder (where adb is located) and ran it from there, opened a random bootanimation, and then hit the phone icon. windows requested permission to run adb, so it appears to have found it, but when I rebooted the phone, my animation was unchanged.

Do I need to have the phone booted into recovery for this to work or have the .exe extracted elsewhere?

TheSSJ
Old
Thanks Meter 85

DONATE TO ME
AWESOME! It's been an eternity of searching until I finally found this tool allowing me to export zip contents to gif! Thank you!!!
If you liked my tutorial(s)/support, click the thank you button

Phone history:
HTC Tattoo - sold
Motorola Milestone - died (RIP, HW Keyboard)
LG Optimus Speed - sold

Samsung Galaxy S3

dancer_69
Old
(Last edited by dancer_69; 26th May 2010 at 01:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 194
Is this for android 2 and newer versions, or it works and for 1.5, 1,6?
LightsOnOff

Torch directly from shortcut!

PeRRiiN
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeRRiiN View Post
Is it possible for you to upload the boot animation of the green android on the second GIF? I loved it and i would like to put it on my phone without flashing CM 5.0.7 (i have 5.0.6 already)

thank you.
Bump,

Did the OP left this project or something?

jakijal
Old
Thanks Meter 3
sorry, im gon bump this also, but i sent an animation to my phone and it works. but when i flash new roms with diff animations... the animation doesnt change.
i want to know where it gets stored when its sent via the program. i searched in /system/media but the animation in there is the one from the recently flashed rom, and not the one i sent using the program.
so im kinda stuck and wondering now...
current:
g2
mexdroid atomic

backup:
black g1
super e 1.0.3
danger spl

JAguirre1231
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakijal View Post
sorry, im gon bump this also, but i sent an animation to my phone and it works. but when i flash new roms with diff animations... the animation doesnt change.
i want to know where it gets stored when its sent via the program. i searched in /system/media but the animation in there is the one from the recently flashed rom, and not the one i sent using the program.
so im kinda stuck and wondering now...
I would try checking /data/local/, as far as I am aware that is the only other place it can go.