36 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By Vandal4125, Member on 28th June 2014, 08:41 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
20th November 2015, 05:48 AM |#311  
Flag UK-KSA-S.E.Asia
Thanks Meter: 252

More
I'm noticing heavy battery runtime degradation but I don't know whether its QC 2.0 charging, natural degradation, some software bug, faulty charger, miscalibration, faulty electricity or something other.

Sent from HTC One

20th November 2015, 02:03 PM |#312  
Thanks Meter: 162

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter

It also depends on usage of phone. Heavy users are going to deplete charge cycles more often. The m8 doesn't get as much SOT as my note4 and also in the last year or so I've gone from heavy user to moderate to almost user as far as depleting my battery. I use the charger that came with my m8 and Samsung's onlder 2.1amp charger on my m8. Also my m8 usage is mostly light browsing when other phones being charged or my music/USB music player so it doesn't get heavy usage nor charged harder. My note4 uses 2.1amp and adaptive fast charger. My m8 probably won't see noticeable degradation for another year or two at least. My note4 OTOH probably sees degradation in about a year since I use my phone more than an average user. I'd be more concerned about it on m8 since it's battery isn't user swappable. My note4 OTOH doesn't bother me much. I bought another note4 a couple months ago. I put new battery in my black note4 and my new white note4 got the old battery since it being utilized as high quality dashcam. I also have two spare Samsung batteries on tap. QC is more hamful to users without swappable batteries so I'd try and use chargers that wouldn't heat up battery and pushes more current. OEM batteries are cheap and higher quality and still cheap so it's of no consequence to note4's.

There is no avoiding the charge cycles for sure. Every battery has a limited life, no matter how you charge it. Hell, even if you don't use it, it starts degrading after some years. So the question isn't really if QC is bad for the battery. Which it probably is..excessive heat is never a good idea But whether or not it matters for you.
If you're gonna keep the phone for many years, it would probably be more wise to choose a slower charging method to keep the battery in as good health as possible, since it's so difficult to replace yourself.
And if you're the type who replaces their phone every 2 years anyway (like me ), then it doesn't really matter and you should just stop worrying and use the phone as you wish.
20th November 2015, 02:28 PM |#313  
Flag UK-KSA-S.E.Asia
Thanks Meter: 252

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCow

There is no avoiding the charge cycles for sure. Every battery has a limited life, no matter how you charge it. Hell, even if you don't use it, it starts degrading after some years. So the question isn't really if QC is bad for the battery. Which it probably is..excessive heat is never a good idea But whether or not it matters for you.
If you're gonna keep the phone for many years, it would probably be more wise to choose a slower charging method to keep the battery in as good health as possible, since it's so difficult to replace yourself.
And if you're the type who replaces their phone every 2 years anyway (like me ), then it doesn't really matter and you should just stop worrying and use the phone as you wish.

Yea but we don't have evidence of any more heat than what is within basic component tolerances.

Sent from HTC One
20th November 2015, 09:42 PM |#314  
Flag In the wind
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Are all using "charge only" cables? That might help.
27th November 2015, 08:17 AM |#315  
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I really like the Tronsmart 18W Quick Charge 2.0 block, it comes with a 6ft certified cable as well. $8.99 until tomorrow.
1st December 2015, 03:18 AM |#316  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Anker qc 2.0 wall charger and aukey 10400 qc external battery is what i use. Both are available on amazon
21st March 2016, 05:45 PM |#317  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Guys , when you connect your Quickcharge 2.0 chargers, what it says ? Turbo charge connected or something like this ?
When i connect my normal charger it only says "Power connected", so i assume that if phone recognizes the qk 2.0 charger it should say something? or you just need to check the amps ?
21st March 2016, 07:38 PM |#318  
Flag Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callliope

Guys , when you connect your Quickcharge 2.0 chargers, what it says ? Turbo charge connected or something like this ?
When i connect my normal charger it only says "Power connected", so i assume that if phone recognizes the qk 2.0 charger it should say something? or you just need to check the amps ?

It does not say anything. But it does charge faster. I am using the HTC QC 2.0 Charger.
29th March 2016, 02:50 PM |#319  

More
Any long term effects guys? It does heating up the phone more than normal charging?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
1st April 2016, 09:21 AM |#320  
Flag Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callliope

Any long term effects guys? It does heating up the phone more than normal charging?

I don't know about long-term effects, my battery seems to be as good as it was in the beginning, if not better because of OS upgrades.

But the phone does heat up more than with normal charging. That, I can confirm.
1st April 2016, 09:35 AM |#321  

More
I got today my aukey quickcharger and it charges so fast when phone is on, but when its turned off i think its charging same as stock charger, maybe i m wrong who knows..
by the way: from 70-100% charges normally and temperature drops, measured with ampere and its max 500 mA
Last edited by Callliope; 1st April 2016 at 12:23 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)