By RavenY2K3, Senior Member on 18th June 2014, 11:39 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
22nd December 2015, 01:27 AM |#391  
Flag South Texas
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintE1956

A year later, GTP8.4 still running great. Now off warranty.

Finally an AICP MM build for the SM-T320 is available, so time to update to latest stock firmware to make sure radio etc. is current, then start testing MM goodness.

Currently running KOT49H.T320UEU1ANK1 original out-of-box KK build, rooted with this thread's method. Replaced the custom kernel with original after towelroot was successful. I think at some point I installed a patch to fix mpdecision processor sticking:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...0#post57452140

Is there anything special I need to do beyond factory reset to get the tab back to stock, before updating to latest Samsung factory firmware? Or, is it best to just flash lastest Samsung factory image (after TiBkp of app data) without doing the factory reset on current build?

Also, I dislike downloading firmware from Samsung via the tab's software update function over wifi, so is there anywhere that has latest stock firmware to flash via Odin?

Thanks in advance

I got the AOC1 build from SamMobile and flashed via Odin (use the Cellular South image for US, Rogers for Canada). Although, I was able to unlock the bootloader on ANK1 using CF Autoroot. I'm not sure Towelroot will allow you to flash non-Samsung ROMs...but then again, I only used Towelroot on my old Galaxy S3 after taking the Verizon 4.3 OTA (which permanently locked my bootloader). NOTE: Unlocking the bootloader WILL void your warranty, since it blows a Q-fuse (thanks to Knox).
The Following User Says Thank You to rnwalker7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rnwalker7 Ad-Free

22nd December 2015, 02:43 AM |#392  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnwalker7

I got the AOC1 build from SamMobile and flashed via Odin (use the Cellular South image for US, Rogers for Canada). Although, I was able to unlock the bootloader on ANK1 using CF Autoroot. I'm not sure Towelroot will allow you to flash non-Samsung ROMs...but then again, I only used Towelroot on my old Galaxy S3 after taking the Verizon 4.3 OTA (which permanently locked my bootloader). NOTE: Unlocking the bootloader WILL void your warranty, since it blows a Q-fuse (thanks to Knox).

Duh me, SamMobile, Samsung owners' savior. That one slipped my mind completely. Think it had me create an account to grab something there some time ago.

So, you're saying there is a possibility I could permanently lock the bootloader?

I don't mind voiding warranty, since it's expired now. It's custom rom time. Been waiting for AICP rom availability, and looks like it came at just the right time. (Anyone interested in custom roms, look into AICP. Best I've seen so far, especially for the GS3.)

Gotta look into the bootloader thing...

Thank you, very much appreciated!
22nd December 2015, 04:02 AM |#393  
Flag South Texas

More
Yes...download it from https://autoroot.chainfire.eu, search for SM-T320, and download. Flash via Odin, and you're set! I've run a lot of different ROMs on this device, both TW and AOSP. However, I think NK1 is the last update that is vulnerable to Chainfire's Autoroot, so don't update until after you unlock! Better yet, just extract the radio image and flash it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rnwalker7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rnwalker7 Ad-Free
23rd December 2015, 04:14 PM |#394  

More
Quote:

Yes...download it from https://autoroot.chainfire.eu, search for SM-T320, and download. Flash via Odin, and you're set! I've run a lot of different ROMs on this device, both TW and AOSP. However, I think NK1 is the last update that is vulnerable to Chainfire's Autoroot, so don't update until after you unlock! Better yet, just extract the radio image and flash it.

Ok, so you're saying that I need to unlock the bootloader via chainfire's cf-autoroot first (since I have an earlier build), then flash the latest stock samsung firmware. That should update all relevant devices such as radio etc. This way the bootloader *stays* unlocked, correct? I (incorrectly?) figured if the entire stock firmware is flashed, then it will flash newer bootloader (if available) and lock it.

Apologies and please excuse redundant / noob questions about this particular point, but I want to make sure I have a completely unlocked device (don't care about warranty bits etc. because the tab is now off warranty) so that I am free to do anything I need/want to do without fear of locking something down permanently.

Thanks for quick reply and advice!
23rd December 2015, 09:54 PM |#395  
Flag South Texas

More
Quote:

Ok, so you're saying that I need to unlock the bootloader via chainfire's cf-autoroot first (since I have an earlier build), then flash the latest stock samsung firmware. That should update all relevant devices such as radio etc. This way the bootloader *stays* unlocked, correct? I (incorrectly?) figured if the entire stock firmware is flashed, then it will flash newer bootloader (if available) and lock it.

Apologies and please excuse redundant / noob questions about this particular point, but I want to make sure I have a completely unlocked device (don't care about warranty bits etc. because the tab is now off warranty) so that I am free to do anything I need/want to do without fear of locking something down permanently.

Thanks for quick reply and advice!

Correct...the bootloader will remain unlocked. I tested it out by flashing TWRP last night, since I had noticed I had the stock recovery. So to recap, flash CF Autoroot, boot, (optional, but recommended...make a backup,) reboot into Download Mode, flash the new AOC1 image, then start into that and install SuperSU.

However, I'm holding off on installing anything MM until the SD card and Bluetooth bugs are fixed. Resurrection Remix 5.1.1 works very well on my Droid Turbo, so I may run that on my Tab Pro until then. And no worries on the questions...we've all been there. I was just a lurker until recently.
24th December 2015, 05:08 PM |#396  

More
Quote:

Correct...the bootloader will remain unlocked. I tested it out by flashing TWRP last night, since I had noticed I had the stock recovery. So to recap, flash CF Autoroot, boot, (optional, but recommended...make a backup,) reboot into Download Mode, flash the new AOC1 image, then start into that and install SuperSU.

However, I'm holding off on installing anything MM until the SD card and Bluetooth bugs are fixed. Resurrection Remix 5.1.1 works very well on my Droid Turbo, so I may run that on my Tab Pro until then. And no worries on the questions...we've all been there. I was just a lurker until recently.

Now I am confused. Visited ChainFire's CF-AutoRoot page, downloaded proper file for SM-T320. While reading info/instructions at top of page, I see:

CF-AUTO-ROOT IS CURRENTLY NOT OPERATIONAL FOR ANDROID 6.0+, OR SAMSUNG ON ANDROID 5.1+

I'm assuming that means stock Samsung MM or LP builds, which of course are not available for the SM-T320.

But, I notice at end of info for Odin flashing:

UNLOCK BOOTLOADERS
If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device - with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically "OEM unlock" and wipe your data !

I'm assuming I have a locked bootloader, since all I did to root this on the stock KOT49H.T320UEU1ANK1 build was the procedure described in this thread. I did flash original kernel back to the tab after rooting with the custom kernel (also per this thread), and that's the way it has stayed ever since then (a little over a year ago).

Download mode screen shows:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-T320
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
AP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
UDC START

And when I start stock recovery, it shows:

Android system recovery <3e>
KOT49H.T320UEU1ANK1

and the recovery options menu.

I see several advantages to running 5.1.x, and if there are sdcard and bluetooth issues with 6.x that would be a deal-breaker (for me) with the current test 6.x AICP rom build that I'm interested in. However, I think I prefer to just wait until those MM issues are fixed instead of taking the time to get used to a 5.1.x rom (no 5.1.x AICP available), then switching again to MM . One big advantage I can see with unlocking & flashing TWRP is having nandroid backup capabilities, which I have used extensively on my GS3.

Think I'm going to have to ponder all the plus/minus sides of changing systems on the tab at this time.

I'd like to apologize for sort of hijacking this thread to discuss these topics. Hope I'm not stepping too far away from the original intent of the thread.

Thanks again, all your info is very much appreciated. Hope you have safe and happy holiday season!
28th December 2015, 03:13 AM |#397  
Flag South Texas

More
Quote:

Now I am confused. Visited ChainFire's CF-AutoRoot page, downloaded proper file for SM-T320. While reading info/instructions at top of page, I see:

CF-AUTO-ROOT IS CURRENTLY NOT OPERATIONAL FOR ANDROID 6.0+, OR SAMSUNG ON ANDROID 5.1+

I'm assuming that means stock Samsung MM or LP builds, which of course are not available for the SM-T320.

But, I notice at end of info for Odin flashing:

UNLOCK BOOTLOADERS
If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device - with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically "OEM unlock" and wipe your data !

I'm assuming I have a locked bootloader, since all I did to root this on the stock KOT49H.T320UEU1ANK1 build was the procedure described in this thread. I did flash original kernel back to the tab after rooting with the custom kernel (also per this thread), and that's the way it has stayed ever since then (a little over a year ago).

Download mode screen shows:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-T320
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
AP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
UDC START

And when I start stock recovery, it shows:

Android system recovery <3e>
KOT49H.T320UEU1ANK1

and the recovery options menu.

I see several advantages to running 5.1.x, and if there are sdcard and bluetooth issues with 6.x that would be a deal-breaker (for me) with the current test 6.x AICP rom build that I'm interested in. However, I think I prefer to just wait until those MM issues are fixed instead of taking the time to get used to a 5.1.x rom (no 5.1.x AICP available), then switching again to MM . One big advantage I can see with unlocking & flashing TWRP is having nandroid backup capabilities, which I have used extensively on my GS3.

Think I'm going to have to ponder all the plus/minus sides of changing systems on the tab at this time.

I'd like to apologize for sort of hijacking this thread to discuss these topics. Hope I'm not stepping too far away from the original intent of the thread.

Thanks again, all your info is very much appreciated. Hope you have safe and happy holiday season!

Sorry for the delay, been on the road the last few days visiting family. Anyways, I think that warning is posted for those who have a carrier-locked bootloader...which doesn't apply to WiFi-only devices. Usually they have some code in their aboot that breaks the bootloader chain if you try to flash an unofficial image; these are almost always fixable by flashing the stock firmware via Odin or Kies. Anyways, I'll let you decide which route you want to go...feel free to PM me if you need any help!
30th December 2015, 03:49 PM |#398  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Done this wanted to say Thanks (To the Op!), for posting this howto. And, that it works like a dream for me.
I managed to fudged'up my T325 a few times by ditching something related to the Calender Database, without which I was unable to use Google's Calender App.
So I managed to track down the exact DBT XXU1BOC1 Firmware from the Net. (Of which I flashed on occasion about 3, or 4 times now).
Flashing this over Odin has NOT tripped up my Knox counter, and neither has TowelRoot!

So I'm grateful to be able to at least be able root enough to ditch the most obvious Bloatware(s), and be able to install AdAway onto this Device.
God how I love AdAway!
31st December 2015, 06:18 PM |#399  

More
Quote:

Sorry for the delay, been on the road the last few days visiting family. Anyways, I think that warning is posted for those who have a carrier-locked bootloader...which doesn't apply to WiFi-only devices. Usually they have some code in their aboot that breaks the bootloader chain if you try to flash an unofficial image; these are almost always fixable by flashing the stock firmware via Odin or Kies. Anyways, I'll let you decide which route you want to go...feel free to PM me if you need any help!

Thanks for the info about gtp bootloader; thought that was the case, but wasn't sure. Also not sure if I want to go through all the reloading etc. on LP at this time if they're working on fixes for the 6.x issues.

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated. Cheers!
21st February 2016, 06:55 AM |#400  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Hi there,

1. Which firmwares are recommended for the T320?
2. Can I flash back the default kernel, after I root the device, or I should keep the rootable one?

Kind Regards,
22nd February 2016, 12:40 PM |#401  
Flag Cluj
Thanks Meter: 68

More
you can flash the one of your current firmware back, after you rooted.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)