FORUMS

[RECOVERY LOCKED/NCG] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-26 B03]

3,317 posts
Thanks Meter: 23,582
 
By Hashcode, Senior Recognized Developer on 25th June 2014, 02:34 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Announcement from Hashcode: Safestrap: Custom Recovery for Locked Devices!
6th October 2015, 12:50 AM |#581  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnj

LOL Thanks for that great info. I stumbled across that URL you gave me earlier today and use part of it to get me back to base KitKat root, then I followed the instructions per OptimalROM's page and I am now fully functional running from the "stock" slot.

No, I don't care about SS, so if FlashFire is better and being maintained...I'm going to switch over.

Should I do any house cleaning? Remove or uninstall SS? Will that screw up what I have done so far today? Tips? Suggestions? lol

The link I posted is the best resource for both tools and advice about whether to use SS or FF. The OP is a really good Dev.

You do not need to remove SS, in fact, having it there is a good safety net. The main difference between SS and FF is that FF is not a recovery, so if it gets stuck in the middle somewhere, there is no net to fall back on to restore backups (you have to be in the app to restore backups... thus needing a mostly working phone).On the other hand, SS is a recovery so it can be accessed even if an install fails or a rom goes haywire.
 
 
6th October 2015, 01:01 AM |#582  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KjK89

The link I posted is the best resource for both tools and advice about whether to use SS or FF. The OP is a really good Dev.

You do not need to remove SS, in fact, having it there is a good safety net. The main difference between SS and FF is that FF is not a recovery, so if it gets stuck in the middle somewhere, there is no net to fall back on to restore backups (you have to be in the app to restore backups... thus needing a mostly working phone).On the other hand, SS is a recovery so it can be accessed even if an install fails or a rom goes haywire.

OK. Thanks. I'll give it a thorough reading and really explore FF. I don't need too much or anything complicated. I only ever run one good, clean ROM. I don't switch or change up. Heck, I would have stayed with stock and rooted it but the Verizon bloatware is a nightmare! Epic level! lol
6th October 2015, 03:57 PM |#583  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
OK. Fixed it. Seems I was accidentally flashing the wrong kernel file. Didn't realize I had a different one on my SD card. G900V_OG5_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip was correct. I some how had OD5, not OG5. DERP!

So if you have the problem I had below this is the fix.

Quick update -
I had everything running smooth last night UNTIL I booted into SS using NI2flash to do a backup. All I did was backup, then reboot.

Now I'm stuck in a loop where the phone starts, I see the SS disabled RECOVERY/CONTINUE option...(doesn't matter what I do or choose or if I just let it alone) it tries to start then goes black and shuts off as far as I can tell, then maybe 30 seconds or so later it turns on and boots into stock recovery.

I can go into SS if I choose RECOVERY option at the screen. I tried the FIX option. I even tried restoring from the backup I just made. Nothing. UGH! lol

Any ideas?

I think SS has to go. Especially with the newest updates coming and Marshmallow around the corner.
Last edited by briansnj; 6th October 2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: UPDATED
13th October 2015, 10:15 AM |#584  
Junior Member
Flag jaipur
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnj

OK. Fixed it. Seems I was accidentally flashing the wrong kernel file. Didn't realize I had a different one on my SD card. G900V_OG5_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip was correct. I some how had OD5, not OG5. DERP!

So if you have the problem I had below this is the fix.

Quick update -
I had everything running smooth last night UNTIL I booted into SS using NI2flash to do a backup. All I did was backup, then reboot.

Now I'm stuck in a loop where the phone starts, I see the SS disabled RECOVERY/CONTINUE option...(doesn't matter what I do or choose or if I just let it alone) it tries to start then goes black and shuts off as far as I can tell, then maybe 30 seconds or so later it turns on and boots into stock recovery.

I can go into SS if I choose RECOVERY option at the screen. I tried the FIX option. I even tried restoring from the backup I just made. Nothing. UGH! lol

Any ideas?

I think SS has to go. Especially with the newest updates coming and Marshmallow around the corner.

Are you able to access safestrap on reboot it means you forget to flash lollipop kernel flash it everything will be Ok.
15th October 2015, 10:52 PM |#585  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnj

OK. Fixed it. Seems I was accidentally flashing the wrong kernel file. Didn't realize I had a different one on my SD card. G900V_OG5_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip was correct. I some how had OD5, not OG5. DERP!

So if you have the problem I had below this is the fix.

Quick update -
I had everything running smooth last night UNTIL I booted into SS using NI2flash to do a backup. All I did was backup, then reboot.

Now I'm stuck in a loop where the phone starts, I see the SS disabled RECOVERY/CONTINUE option...(doesn't matter what I do or choose or if I just let it alone) it tries to start then goes black and shuts off as far as I can tell, then maybe 30 seconds or so later it turns on and boots into stock recovery.

I can go into SS if I choose RECOVERY option at the screen. I tried the FIX option. I even tried restoring from the backup I just made. Nothing. UGH! lol

Any ideas?

I think SS has to go. Especially with the newest updates coming and Marshmallow around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparvez

Are you able to access safestrap on reboot it means you forget to flash lollipop kernel flash it everything will be Ok.

I was going to recommend the same thing. Make sure you keep a copy of a flashable lollipop kernel on your sd card in case you need to flash it again. I haven't used the NI2 flash tool. so I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if you were to manually flash NI2 and go into SS then you would need to flash and LP kernel before rebooting in order to get back to your ROM.

When a LP kernel is flashed, you will not see SS on boot, it will go straight to the ROM. When an earlier kernel is flashed you will be able to get into SS, but the ROM will not boot.
5th January 2016, 11:29 PM |#586  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I did everything to install busy box and safestrap correct with zero issues at all.. except when i go to reboot i never get the safestrap screen.. tried rebooting many times...
i am rooted
android 5.0
build # g900vvru2bog5
bootloader g900vvru1boc4
kernal 3.4.0-4782027
type kltevzw
any idea whats going on?
5th January 2016, 11:53 PM |#587  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskir222

I did everything to install busy box and safestrap correct with zero issues at all.. except when i go to reboot i never get the safestrap screen.. tried rebooting many times...
i am rooted
android 5.0
build # g900vvru2bog5
bootloader g900vvru1boc4
kernal 3.4.0-4782027
type kltevzw
any idea whats going on?

You need to flash the NI2 kernel first, then reboot. This should get you into SS. Look for NI2flasher.apk
You will also need to flash your build kernel (OG5) BEFORE you exit SS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
6th January 2016, 12:51 AM |#588  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertech007

You need to flash the NI2 kernel first, then reboot. This should get you into SS. Look for NI2flasher.apk
You will also need to flash your build kernel (OG5) BEFORE you exit SS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry to be such a newb. Been a while since I did any of this.
I dl the ni2flasher.apk.
I found a few og5 kernels.
Wondering if you can tell me what to use?
Also Will it effect anything?
Root,wifi,tether?
I'm asking because some of what I found said they had some issues with that.
Thank you for your help
8th January 2016, 12:39 PM |#589  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskir222

Sorry to be such a newb. Been a while since I did any of this.
I dl the ni2flasher.apk.
I found a few og5 kernels.
Wondering if you can tell me what to use?
Also Will it effect anything?
Root,wifi,tether?
I'm asking because some of what I found said they had some issues with that.
Thank you for your help

We all were noobs at one time. Don't sweet it.
You will need, G900v OG5 kernel safestrap flashable.zip
This is to be flashed via SS before you exit out. If you forget to flash this and exit, you will bootloop and will need to flash the NCG kernel via Odin.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes