[UC]XDA_UC Autoconfiguration User2User Thread[23-06-2009]

Search This thread

Noonski

Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
User To User Tips, Tricks ideas and issues thread.

XDA_UC is a silent User & Cook automation script.
It requires no user configuration (unless you count dripping stuff into a folder as configuring).

It differs opposed to the default Autorun & RunCC configuration that, as a user you do not need no make an SDConfig.txt file on your SD card.
And that you can start using your device immediately.
It will run in the background at the reboot the Cook has chosen to have it run.
But it adds a lot of extra tweaking functionality for hardcore Tweakers to.

What it basically does is install the beneath on the user side

• My.tsk file from "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
    and if not present Cook.tsk from Windows Folder.
  • Copy Over User Files.
    Check for "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root" if present, Disable Manila from Homescreen then Copy files from "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root" to the root of the device, Then checking for existence of wallpaper_TF3D.png or wallpaper_TF3D.jpg in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root\Windows" and adding that to
    [HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila]
    "HomeBackgroundPath"="\\Windows\\wallpaper_TF3D.jpg"
    Import registry files from "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root\Windows\manila.reg" If present
    Re-enable Manila on Homescreen and redraw it. Now also works for the Sense 2.1 and up versions.
  • .xdas files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
  • Silently run Legacy SDConfig.txt from Storage Card
    (If your using RunCC.exe or Autorun you do not need to point to or use SDAutorun.exe or SDConfig.txt) Thanks to RoryB
    Commands for SDConfig.txt can be found here....
  • .cab files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
  • .cab files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Storage", These cab files will be tempted to install to Storage Location.
  • .cab files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Manual",These cab files will start with Full User interaction capabilities to choose where to install to.
  • .reg files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
  • .xml files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
  • .mscr files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
  • .cer files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
  • Create Shortcuts and more from Registry Keys
    More information here....
  • Copy over welcomehead.192.01.png & welcomehead.192.02.png present in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root\Windows" to the Windows folder.
  • Copy over welcomehead.96.01.png & welcomehead.96.02.png present in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root\Windows" to the Windows folder.
    Actually everything is copied over from Copy2Root folder to root, but the above Splashcreens get their file atributes removed before this happens.
  • Add native support for .mscr, .mortrun, .xda, xdai, xdas & .xdaz files
This thread is meant for user to user help and advice and sharing of tricks and tweaks.

Cooks should go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=3954547 for more information about the cooking side.

I have attached a Mort Script HTML Manual for those looking into learn about this type of scripting.

Before you consider buying me a beer. Please consider Donating to XDA to help out with the maintenance of the forum and get cool stars next to your Nickname showing your appreciation. Then there are always the people that without their apps this wouldn't have been possible at all that you can consider showing some love. Mort, DotFred & Sleuth255 All of whom made Apps Seemingly simple But oh so useful for the whole XDA and PocketPC community.

Attachments

• MortScript-Manual.zip
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,656
Last edited:
Reactions: ai6908

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Common Good Practices

1. Do Not Reboot untill The XDA UC Message tells you it's finished.
  2. You do not need to make your .cab files read only. But out of safety of loosing them it is recommended.
  3. Save your .reg files as Unicode, always start your .reg file with
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    In the first line. And leave one blank empty line at the end of the .reg file.
  4. Test your tweaks and files instead of reflashing to many times. A self initiated script will be uploaded soon, so you can test on a device.
  5. Save your .xml files as Unicode and check if they are correctly formatted by opening them for instance in Internet Explorer.
    If it doesn't show you the content then it will tell you where to look for mistakes.
    More XML tips
  6. Commands for SDConfig.txt for Version 2.0

Last edited:

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
AutoShortcut Registry Tricks

AutoShortcut Registry Tricks
HTC Autoshortcut replacment and enhancements through registry keys:

Directory Copy
Copy over files from one folder to another, overwriting the present files.
This will also copy over any subfolders inside the folder being copied over.
The entry on the left is the destination folder, the entry on the right is the source folder.
See the example code below:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\DirCopy]
"\\My Documents\\Test"="\\Storage Card\\My Documents\\Test"

You can also use this registry entry if you just want to make an empty folder.
Code:
"\\My Documents\\Test"="MakeDir"

FileCopy
Copy just one file over from one folder to another.
The entry on the left is the destination File, the entry on the right is the source file.
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\FileCopy]
"\\My Documents\\MakeDir.reg"="\\Storage Card\\XDA_UC\\MakeDir.reg"

Delete
Delete a file. This will not delete Files in cooked in Rom/Windows folder.
But it will for instance delete Read Only Pictures in My Documents
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\Write]
"\\Documents And Settings\\Somefile.xml"=""

Deleting of a whole directory has not been added as mistakes can be made to easily, resulting in a complete Device and SD card whipe.
If you understand the risks I reccomend to learn writing your own mortscripts to do this.

Write
Write more explicit shortcuts or files
The left entry is the destination file, the right entry is the text you want written into the destination file.
See the example codes below:
Code:
"\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Tools\\TF Detacher\\icon.lnk"="50#MPI_ProgramIcons.dll,-115"

"\\My Documents\\Somefile.txt"="Hello World"

Auto Shortcut Creation
To create shortcuts to files or applications.
The left entry is the target link name, the right entry is the source file the link should be pointing to.
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\AutoShortCut]
"\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\SAP Settings.lnk"="\\Windows\\SAPSettings.exe"
If you want to be sure that the destination directory exists where you want the shortcut created you can add an extra Registry entry for Directory creation.
Code:
"\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Contacts"="MakeDir"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\AutoShortCut]
"\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Contacts\\SAP Settings.lnk"="\\Windows\\SAPSettings.exe"

Run First Boot
Run a file or application at the first boot.
The left entry if for the file or application, the right entry is for paramaters you want passed to an application.
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\XDA\RunFirstBoot]
"\\Windows\\btdwake.exe"=""

Last edited:

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
SDConfig.txt Commands

Commands that will work in SDConfig.txt

Be aware that for commands with only three letters there needs to be a space between the : & \

XML: \Storage Card\Cabs\Personal.xml
XML: \Storage Card\Cabs\Personal.provxml
(To parse provisioning .xml or .provxml files Saved to ANSI)

REG: \Storage Card\Cabs\G-Alarm.reg
(To parse registry files in Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 format)

CPY1:\Storage Card\Cabs\pim.vol
CPY2:\pim.vol
(To copy over one file, and if pim.vol is found in Cabs folder, Cprog.exe will be shut down first)

MOV1:\Storage Card\Folder
MOV2:\Windows\Folder

(Aplied to latest Beta's, but this will copy over folders and it's subfolders overwriting any existing files)

SC1: \Storage Card\Program Files\GoogleMaps\GoogleMaps.exe
SC2: \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Maps.lnk
(Simple Shortcut creation)

WR1: \A File.txt
WR2: The Text That Goes Into the File
WR1: \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Tools\Another App.lnk
WR2: 99#"\Windows\SuperApplication.exe"?AnotherAppWithIcons.exe,-IDI_APPICON

Yes for the Advanced Users. It removes Files Attributes from possible target file then deletes it before writing a new one.
Note that there needs to be a space before the written text starts! (Special NoPrize for the one that knows which file was originally under "AnotherAppWithIcons.exe")

CER: \Storage Card\Cabs\Work.cer
(Install certificates)

CAB: \Storage Card\Cabs\098MSN.CAB
(Cabs that can be installed silently without user intervention)

SCAB:\Storage Card\Cabs\098MSN.CAB
(Cabs that you want installed to Storage Card)

MCAB:\Storage Card\Cabs\098MSN.CAB
(Cabs that you want installed with full user interaction)

EXEC:\Storage Card\Cabs\something.exe
EXEC:\Storage Card\Cabs\mortscript.mscr
EXEC:\Storage Card\Cabs\Or A Link.lnk
EXEC:\Storage Card\Cabs\Or A Even a document.doc
(consider this to be a regular Open or Run file as long as the file is known by system but that can be set be doing a .reg first with the file open registry settings)

KILL:AutoVer.exe
(to close running open apps, be aware there is no Slash needed)

DEL: \My Documents\Picture\leaf.jpg
(Remove read write permissions then try to remove the file, will of course not work on ROM/Windows files)

TSK: \My Cool Theme.tsk
Apply Theme

RESET

Will set the Reset flag to force reset at the end of XDA_UC

Last edited:

wg5566

Feb 5, 2009
SEA
Questions & Answers

Question:: I am a new user of Windows Mobile and I don't understand many of the terms here, can you tell me in a simple language what exactly XDA_UC is doing for me or for my device?
Answer: XDA_UC aplies and installs installation files and user tweak files in a simple and straight forward manner that does not lock up your screen as the regular Autorun method's would with out the need to know how to configure a pre setup SDConfig.txt file. It runs in the background and you can start using the device after flash (thought you will be a little slower at start uas stuff is happening in the background)
Or if above is still not easy to understand, let's say like this: After you flashed a new ROM, or did a hard reset (or you run 'Clear Storage' from system settings page, it's same as so-called 'hard reset' here), all your programs and your tweaks or adjustment to the Operation System is wiped out and you only have a clean OS from the firmware on your phone. At this time, XDA_UC will silently install all your programs and apply all your tweaks alltogether in a straight-forward way, and you don't need to install or apply them one by one. Provided onlyif you already placed the (cab installer & registry tweak) files in the designated folder.

Question::I noticed the advantage of XDA_UC. But as a newbie to this society, seems I can not take full advantage of it. Any simple guidelines about what shall I learn and where to start?
Answer: The best way is to start learning which Registry settings you want personally always to be aplied to any rom. Look for CeRegEditor 4.3 so you can study, dump and compare the regitry to find the specific Registry keys that you can then save as .reg files. Installing cabs is nice and takes away a lot of hassle put adding your own. It's also smart to just make a shortcut to a specific program you already have installed on your SD as most work fine onze they have been installed before. That should save time on installing some cabs.

Question:: I have some Greenware in my storage card, every time after flashing a new ROM or a hard-reset, I need to make shortcuts for them inside \Windows\Start Menu\, Can XDA-UC do that for me?
Answer: You can either add a registry String line to any .reg file you put into the XDA_UC Folder
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\XDA\\AutoShortCut]
"\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Synchro Time.lnk"="\\Storage Card\\Program Files\\Synchro Time\\Synchro Time.exe"
And XDAUC will at the end of process convert all these registry settings to real shortcuts.
Or make a mortscript with the line:
CreateShortcut(SystemPath("ProgramsMenu") \ "Synchro Time.lnk","\Windows\Synchro Time.exe")

Question: What if I want to run XDA-UC by myself? Is it possible? Since what time to run (on first boot. second boot, or which boot after hard-reset) is decided by the cook of my ROM.
Answer: A Script will be provided soon for this, but it won't install if files that have already been installed at the XDA_UC run at the first boot.
Almost everything that get's installed by XDA_UC is written to the registry so if someone has the time to develop a managing tool can read this values.

Last edited:

dmcnado

Mar 24, 2009
Is this something that can be installed/added to an existing rom that I can use stand alone, or does it have to be cooked into a rom? Thanks.

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
In principle this is supposed to be a cooked in thing, but Once i have tested the V 1.0.02 fully, and tweaked the timing a bit i might make a trimmed down "Run Whenever you like version or add to a SDAutorun Only Rom"

But it the adding to SDConfig.txt will need some testing, that if no one else is doing i will need to test first someday.

dmcnado

Mar 24, 2009
In principle this is supposed to be a cooked in thing, but Once i have tested the V 1.0.02 fully, and tweaked the timing a bit i might make a trimmed down "Run Whenever you like version or add to a SDAutorun Only Rom"

OK, thanks for the reply. I will keep monitoring this thread to see how you're doing. I'm thinking this is a good way to update after a flash, but I'm not sure if I want to change roms right now. Also, not too many roms have it cooked in just yet.

J

jeepers007

Is this to install to main memory only?

If not, how do we differentiate which cabs we want in main memory and which in storage card?

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
I'm testing the next version which will recognize the Cab's in an extra Folder "SD" inside of XDA_UC.

Cab's placed there will open with full user interaction, so you can choose the location of where to install.

And it already has a silent, and at least 40% more effective method then a cabfile, of installing whatever to where ever you want.

I will also in time, unless someone beats me to the punch, an example .xdas file, to which you can add, your own .xml, .reg, files & folders and an silent.mscr to.

You can add a lot to that, and do whatever you want, if your willing to say goodbey to cabs that is.

dmcnado

Mar 24, 2009
I'm testing the next version which will recognize the Cab's in an extra Folder "SD" inside of XDA_UC.

Cab's placed there will open with full user interaction, so you can choose the location of where to install.

And it already has a silent, and at least 40% more effective method then a cabfile, of installing whatever to where ever you want.

What happens if your cab is NOT successfully installed? Is there an error trap of some sort or does the program just stop or crash?

wg5566

Feb 5, 2009
SEA
I will also in time, unless someone beats me to the punch, an example .xdas file, to which you can add, your own .xml, .reg, files & folders and an silent.mscr to.
You can add a lot to that, and do whatever you want, if your willing to say goodbey to cabs that is.
Yes we need a really functional, powerful and flexible XDA_UC. But it may be a challege to balance this:
For advanced users -> They can do whatever they want to do with the UC, and it's wonderful.
For common users -> They can use the basic functions of it without complex learning process, and later on they just will find more and more supprise out of it.
For this purppose maybe a readme file somewhere is also good additive.

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
What happens if your cab is NOT successfully installed? Is there an error trap of some sort or does the program just stop or crash?

Good Question, I'm going to fing a cab that doesn't want to install first;)

But it should not install and there is no error trap besides that the cab will not show up on the installed programs in the control panel.

After that it contiunues.

Yes we need a really functional, powerful and flexible XDA_UC. But it may be a challege to balance this:
For advanced users -> They can do whatever they want to do with the UC, and it's wonderful.
For common users -> They can use the basic functions of it without complex learning process, and later on they just will find more and more supprise out of it.
For this purppose maybe a readme file somewhere is also good additive.

That is the intention. With a growing amount of users not that into tweaking, i feel the urge to draw them in and start learning and then contributing.

Last edited:

wg5566

Feb 5, 2009
SEA
That is the intention. With a growing amount of users not that into tweaking, i feel the urge to draw them in and start learning and then contributing.
Vow, wondering what if M$ heard of this. Some big guy is inspirating everybody to hack their OS! :D
Joking. Thanks for everybody' efforts to push forward the development of WM system. I am one of those that inspired by this sociaty and just joined the team.
But basically I still keep the business way of thinking about some great apps or better methods. That is, some details and some promotion (marketing term) is always needed before it get reachable to every user and widely spreaded. I think I can contribute more on this aspect.

Edit: I added two more questions on post#4. Anybody can answer please answer.

Last edited:

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Did my best to answer these.

And i updated the info in post 1 to reflect the updates in V 1.0.02

Last edited:

wg5566

Feb 5, 2009
SEA
I added something to your answer, but still not feel satisfied. Please just keep editing it. What we need is just like an explanation you made on the Rapheal ROM thread.

Another thing is the title of these two thread (sorry I keep commenting on these off-topic issues):
[UC]XDA_UC V1.0.02, Automated & Silent User & Cook, Configuration Service[12/07/09]
&
[UC]XDA_UC Autoconfiguration User To User Thread[23-06-2009]
Maybe I'm a little slow, but I takes me more than 5 seconds to (not completely) figure it out what is this talking about after first glance at the title, and then decide to take a look inside.

And then look at another big guy Menneisyys's thread title:
Sticky: Another revolutionary utility by me: add "find in page" support to most web browsers!

It is completely different effect on grasp reader's notices. And that makes difference on spreading speed.

Just comment, no matter is you insist to keep Noonski style.;)

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
Another thing is the title of these two thread (sorry I keep commenting on these off-topic issues):
[UC]XDA_UC V1.0.02, Automated & Silent User & Cook, Configuration Service[12/07/09]
&
[UC]XDA_UC Autoconfiguration User To User Thread[23-06-2009]
Maybe I'm a little slow, but I takes me more than 5 seconds to (not completely) figure it out what is this talking about after first glance at the title, and then decide to take a look inside.

And then look at another big guy Menneisyys's thread title:
Sticky: Another revolutionary utility by me: add "find in page" support to most web browsers!

It is completely different effect on grasp reader's notices. And that makes difference on spreading speed.

Just comment, no matter is you insist to keep Noonski style.;)

Is that really important? In my opinion the answer is no.

bga7x

Feb 24, 2009
Las Vegas
omniarom.com
Noonski! Thank you for your Great work on this, i have included this in my rom and with Blazing Wolfs help got it up and running with no issues, except one.

Whenever i set XDA_UC to start of first initial flash it kills my modem i have to manuly pick the network the my phone uses to connect to the internet. IF i make XDA_UC start after a reboot it works perfect, I have tried to look at all The MSRC files and cant see to put my finger on the issue!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    User To User Tips, Tricks ideas and issues thread.

XDA_UC is a silent User & Cook automation script.
    It requires no user configuration (unless you count dripping stuff into a folder as configuring).

It differs opposed to the default Autorun & RunCC configuration that, as a user you do not need no make an SDConfig.txt file on your SD card.
    And that you can start using your device immediately.
    It will run in the background at the reboot the Cook has chosen to have it run.
    But it adds a lot of extra tweaking functionality for hardcore Tweakers to.

What it basically does is install the beneath on the user side

• My.tsk file from "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
      and if not present Cook.tsk from Windows Folder.
    • Copy Over User Files.
      Check for "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root" if present, Disable Manila from Homescreen then Copy files from "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root" to the root of the device, Then checking for existence of wallpaper_TF3D.png or wallpaper_TF3D.jpg in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root\Windows" and adding that to
      [HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila]
      "HomeBackgroundPath"="\\Windows\\wallpaper_TF3D.jpg"
      Import registry files from "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root\Windows\manila.reg" If present
      Re-enable Manila on Homescreen and redraw it. Now also works for the Sense 2.1 and up versions.
    • .xdas files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
    • Silently run Legacy SDConfig.txt from Storage Card
      (If your using RunCC.exe or Autorun you do not need to point to or use SDAutorun.exe or SDConfig.txt) Thanks to RoryB
      Commands for SDConfig.txt can be found here....
    • .cab files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
    • .cab files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Storage", These cab files will be tempted to install to Storage Location.
    • .cab files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Manual",These cab files will start with Full User interaction capabilities to choose where to install to.
    • .reg files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
    • .xml files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
    • .mscr files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
    • .cer files in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC"
    • Create Shortcuts and more from Registry Keys
      More information here....
    • Copy over welcomehead.192.01.png & welcomehead.192.02.png present in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root\Windows" to the Windows folder.
    • Copy over welcomehead.96.01.png & welcomehead.96.02.png present in "\Storage Card\XDA_UC\Copy2Root\Windows" to the Windows folder.
      Actually everything is copied over from Copy2Root folder to root, but the above Splashcreens get their file atributes removed before this happens.
    • Add native support for .mscr, .mortrun, .xda, xdai, xdas & .xdaz files
    This thread is meant for user to user help and advice and sharing of tricks and tweaks.

Cooks should go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=3954547 for more information about the cooking side.

I have attached a Mort Script HTML Manual for those looking into learn about this type of scripting.

Before you consider buying me a beer. Please consider Donating to XDA to help out with the maintenance of the forum and get cool stars next to your Nickname showing your appreciation. Then there are always the people that without their apps this wouldn't have been possible at all that you can consider showing some love. Mort, DotFred & Sleuth255 All of whom made Apps Seemingly simple But oh so useful for the whole XDA and PocketPC community.
    I have to leave, but a quick note. I use MortScript a lot. You could write a script that would copy the subfolder to the other location and then deltree the old location. Or you might be able to use rename or move, but I need to review the manual first.

I'll check back later today when I can post more.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I think the easiest way is MkDir, Move, DelTree and RmDir

1. MkDir("\path\to\new_directory") to make the new directory you want to move the files to. Remember each directory in the path needs to exist already or you need to make that directory first.
    2. Move( source files, target directory, overwrite?, subdirs? ) as Move( "\path\to\old_directory\*.*", "\path\to\new_directory", TRUE, TRUE ) to move the files in the old directory and any subfolders and files to the new directory.
    3. DelTree( "\path\to\old_directory" ) to delete the empty subdirectories of the old directory.
    4. RmDir( "\path\to\old_directory" ) to remove the empty old directory.
    Here is an example of moving files and subfolders, then deleting the empty subfolders and the main folder.
    Code:
    test = SystemPath("ScriptPath") & "\" &  "test1"
    trial = SystemPath("ScriptPath") & "\" &  "trial"
    MkDir(trial)
    Move( test \ "*.*", trial, TRUE, TRUE )
    DelTree( test )
    RmDir( test )
    Message("Finished")
    The folder test1 needs to be in the same folder as the trial script for this example to work. The zip file contains the script and a folder test1 with files and subfolders with files too.
    ---------
    so PIMBackup has to be cooked into the rom in order for xda_uc to restore the file..correct?

that, or you can manually install it before running xda_uc... just copy it to windows then run xda_uc