Suffolk, UK
noshufou.com
Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

I got tired of the old, quite unreadable, Superuser app that's being used in most every build, so I refreshed it entirely. Some of the new features include:

- Each permission is shown by it's name, rather than it's UID
- Many translations (Spanish, German, Czech, Greek, French, Italian, Dutch, Russian and Danish (Some are full translations, some are only partial))
- Optional notifications
- A dialog that shows details of each permission
- Full logging system
- A much clearer request window.
- Permissions are removed when an app is uninstalled to prevent another app from possibly getting permissions you don't want it to have.
- A bunch of work behind the scenes to smooth things out.
(New for 2.2)
- Changed requests to a broadcast intent to prevent app murder.
- Using new permission scheme for better security
- Fixed several database leaks.
- Version display for app and binary in preferences.
(New for 2.2.1)
- Install fixed. Will clear old permissions, but it's the last time I'll delete your permissions.
- Fixed AndroidManifest to allow install on cupcake.
- Russian translation thanks to stari4ek
(New for 2.2.2)
- Install really fixed this time thanks to a trick little shell script in the update.zip
(New for 2.3)
- New layout of main app
- Full logging
- New request layout
- Fixed boot/widget bug
- Date/time format options
- Better notification system
- New icon
- Better allow system
- A whole mess of code cleanup
- Rearranged drawables so that only one apk needs to be built for any firmware
(New for 2.3.1)
- Big bugfixes
- Better support for landscape mode
- better support for ldpi devices
(New for 2.3.2.1)
- Now lives in the market!
- Bugfixes
(New for 2.3.3)
- More bugfixes
- App can now update it's own binary without using update.zip
(New for 2.3.4)
- App downloads binaries if necessary
- Entry in Settings to check for updated binaries
(New for 2.3.5)
- Better handling of su binary versions (Thanks ATomCZ)
- Polish translation (Thanks Piter1225)
- Fixed bug that prevented Apps from showing up if they didn't have a log entry
- Added Clear Log button to preferences
- Added a check to ensure that no other apps are trying to respond to Superuser requests
(New for 2.3.6.1)
- Traditional & Simplified Chinese translations
- Updated French & Greek translations
- Added clear log button to menu on log screen
- Bugfixes

And the best news, CM6 Stable users can update pain free from the market!

There are 2 versions, one for cupcake/donut, one for eclair/froyo. Pick the one appropriate for your firmware and flash via recovery mode.

su-2.3.6.1-cd-signed.zip
md5: e1abb445d770075f49edc8810aa80758
- Cupcake/Donut

su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip
md5: 6d490575092a1c5d91af56b94c2328f4
- Eclair/Froyo

Or download from the market:

If install from the market fails, use adb to issue these commands:
Code:
adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell pm uninstall com.noshufou.android.su
or from terminal:
Code:
$ su
# (remount for your phone, Nexus One is 'mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system', other phones will use the same pattern, but may vary on the '/dev...' bit)
# rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
# pm uninstall com.noshufou.android.su
# (same remount command as above, but with 'remount,ro' instead of 'remount,rw')
After that, you'll be able to install Superuser from the market.

Special thanks go out to MotoCache1 for keeping this thread under control and repackaging the update.zip to work on more phones, velazcod for his huge help with this release, Zinx for the su app this is based off of, Cyanogen and koush for their help and support, Fnorder for motivating me to finally fix the allow system properly, bartito, sacarino2k2, thiasB, RedVirus, regunus, leonnib4, Eug89, MrSnowflake, MarkM83 and stari4ek for translations, and whoever it was that wrote fix_permissions for the help writing fixsuperm.

I make no guarantee that this will work on your particular setup, but I will try to help get it working. There's also the community that can help. Post your questions with logs here in the thread and we'll try to get you an answer. If your phone bursts into a ball of flame, I can't help at all.

If you have any issues, please post them to the issue tracker on my github. It'll make them easier to keep track of.

Note: You will have to re-authorize any apps you want to have permission, unless you are already (successfully) running a 2.2 or higher version.

Note: I don't have a phone to test the cupcake/donut version on, should work no problem tho. Please let me know if there are any problems.

Note: Apps may still crash if they try to get permissions on boot that have not been granted yet. Once an app is in the whitelist, it should have no trouble at all getting permissions on boot.

As always, source is located at my github in my sig.

Attachments

• su23-1.jpg
    su23-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 62,031
  • su23-2.jpg
    su23-2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 39,552
  • su23-3.jpg
    su23-3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 33,075
  • su23-4.jpg
    su23-4.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 27,825
  • su23-5.jpg
    su23-5.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 33,693
Last edited:

FHL09

Dec 4, 2009
Hawkes Bay
www.fhl09.wordpress.com
Dwang 1.17.1 (1.6, Donut) Tested!!

Hey Adam (ChainsDD)

Just flashed this puppy

su-2.1-cd-signed.zip
md5: 5f6a1e4157f6a99831c17135bb4e0e49
- Cupcake/Donut
- Roms that are built from source or entirely re-signed

on my HTC Magic (MyTouch 3G) running Dwang 1.17.1 (Donut 1.6) & its working great love how easy it is to see whats using up permissions the old version made it tricky.

The downside although minor is you have to re-allow all apps that require root access...access again but thats really minor.

I had like 10 or so apps in the last version of your app all accessing root permissions & out of them I wanted to "cut" some apps from root access but didn't want to "cut" the wrong one now with this version its easy to see what one to "cut"

Thanks Adam its "absolutely" perfect, I see no issues & I am very very pleased.

Last edited:

FHL09

Dec 4, 2009
Hawkes Bay
www.fhl09.wordpress.com
Glad you like it. Sorry to keep you waiting so long... :eek:

Thanks for pointing out that you have to re-allow everything. I forgot to mention that. I'll put it up in the OP.

Haha, No problem I'm just glad to have it now, Thanks for getting it out so fast after my request.

Again can I say that re-allowing everything ain't a huge deal at least not for me I don't mind in fact I prefer it so I can see why the app wants access :)

If I come across any nasty bugs (which I doubt judging for the harsh break in I have done already) I will let you know about them but it seems fine.

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
ChainsDD: Weird. Coming from Cm5.0.7 I didn't have to re-allow anything. However, your previous releases (from the older thread) indeed made me re-allow everything :p.

Broken

Jul 13, 2006
Lewiston, ID
Works great. Replaced the su and superuser files in OpenRecovery on my Milestone. Much nicer being able to see what has root access.

Thanks!

themapleboy

Feb 9, 2010
Toronto
Did not work on a HTC dream with Cyanogen test 5 i flashed both eclair versions with the same end result

there is a superuser app in the tray but does not ask for permission Eg. SetCPU ask's if i have root and terminal says $ su: symbolic link loop

any ideas?

D

Deleted member 267841

hi,
has su 2.1 the ability to set the su shell in order to forze the use of bash or other?

command line: su -s /system/bin/bash

i have reported this issue in the 2.0.3 thread.

Agree!

ChainsDD

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Suffolk, UK
noshufou.com
ChainsDD: Weird. Coming from Cm5.0.7 I didn't have to re-allow anything. However, your previous releases (from the older thread) indeed made me re-allow everything :p.

Only those people that haven't been running 2.0 will have to re-allow everything. This one uses the same database as in 2.0.

Did not work on a HTC dream with Cyanogen test 5 i flashed both eclair versions with the same end result

there is a superuser app in the tray but does not ask for permission Eg. SetCPU ask's if i have root and terminal says $ su: symbolic link loop

any ideas?

You'll want to use su-2.1-e-signed.zip. I've seen the symbolic loop before on an older cm5.0.7test. Try flashing 5.0.7test5, booting fully, booting into recovery and then flashing su-2.1. If that doesn't work, push the su binary from the zip to /system/xbin and it should fix it.

hi,
has su 2.1 the ability to set the su shell in order to forze the use of bash or other?

Agree!

I'll look into adding this.

i have got a milestone too and replace it but dont see it. which one have you taken? i have 2.1 rooted.

What ROM are you using?

D

Deleted member 267841

i dont use any rom. i use the 2.1 android for milestone. i have tested signed and unsigned one with the same result.

i use su-2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip on my 2.1 milestone.
working fine!!
do you have replaced the "su" by the included at the zip file?

D

Deleted member 267841

remove all the loops and reinstall su directly on /system/bin and superuser.apk on /system/app

thiasB

Nov 16, 2009
Berlin
ok. su now works via adb but on Terminal Emulator I get "Permission denied".
Code:
ls -l /system/bin/su
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     shell        22128 May 16 10:49 su

D

Deleted member 267841

hi,
"su" permissions are bad.
not 0777, set 4755 !

Last edited by a moderator:

bronxknight28

Apr 25, 2009
Bronx, NY
Re: Superuser 2.1 - Fun for all! [2010-05-16]

Used e-signed on my sprint hero using latest damagecontrol rom, hope that helps fellow cdma hero users

kaylesworth

Jun 6, 2008
VIRGINIA BEACH
I tried to flash with SPRecovery and it failed, is it possible to use Root Explorer to copy the files into their respective system folders or should I try another recovery like Clockworkmod?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

I got tired of the old, quite unreadable, Superuser app that's being used in most every build, so I refreshed it entirely. Some of the new features include:

- Each permission is shown by it's name, rather than it's UID
    - Many translations (Spanish, German, Czech, Greek, French, Italian, Dutch, Russian and Danish (Some are full translations, some are only partial))
    - Optional notifications
    - A dialog that shows details of each permission
    - Full logging system
    - A much clearer request window.
    - Permissions are removed when an app is uninstalled to prevent another app from possibly getting permissions you don't want it to have.
    - A bunch of work behind the scenes to smooth things out.
    (New for 2.2)
    - Changed requests to a broadcast intent to prevent app murder.
    - Using new permission scheme for better security
    - Fixed several database leaks.
    - Version display for app and binary in preferences.
    (New for 2.2.1)
    - Install fixed. Will clear old permissions, but it's the last time I'll delete your permissions.
    - Fixed AndroidManifest to allow install on cupcake.
    - Russian translation thanks to stari4ek
    (New for 2.2.2)
    - Install really fixed this time thanks to a trick little shell script in the update.zip
    (New for 2.3)
    - New layout of main app
    - Full logging
    - New request layout
    - Fixed boot/widget bug
    - Date/time format options
    - Better notification system
    - New icon
    - Better allow system
    - A whole mess of code cleanup
    - Rearranged drawables so that only one apk needs to be built for any firmware
    (New for 2.3.1)
    - Big bugfixes
    - Better support for landscape mode
    - better support for ldpi devices
    (New for 2.3.2.1)
    - Now lives in the market!
    - Bugfixes
    (New for 2.3.3)
    - More bugfixes
    - App can now update it's own binary without using update.zip
    (New for 2.3.4)
    - App downloads binaries if necessary
    - Entry in Settings to check for updated binaries
    (New for 2.3.5)
    - Better handling of su binary versions (Thanks ATomCZ)
    - Polish translation (Thanks Piter1225)
    - Fixed bug that prevented Apps from showing up if they didn't have a log entry
    - Added Clear Log button to preferences
    - Added a check to ensure that no other apps are trying to respond to Superuser requests
    (New for 2.3.6.1)
    - Traditional & Simplified Chinese translations
    - Updated French & Greek translations
    - Added clear log button to menu on log screen
    - Bugfixes

And the best news, CM6 Stable users can update pain free from the market!

There are 2 versions, one for cupcake/donut, one for eclair/froyo. Pick the one appropriate for your firmware and flash via recovery mode.

su-2.3.6.1-cd-signed.zip
    md5: e1abb445d770075f49edc8810aa80758
    - Cupcake/Donut

su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip
    md5: 6d490575092a1c5d91af56b94c2328f4
    - Eclair/Froyo

Or download from the market:

If install from the market fails, use adb to issue these commands:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    adb shell pm uninstall com.noshufou.android.su
    or from terminal:
    Code:
    $ su
    # (remount for your phone, Nexus One is 'mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system', other phones will use the same pattern, but may vary on the '/dev...' bit)
    # rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    # pm uninstall com.noshufou.android.su
    # (same remount command as above, but with 'remount,ro' instead of 'remount,rw')
    After that, you'll be able to install Superuser from the market.

Special thanks go out to MotoCache1 for keeping this thread under control and repackaging the update.zip to work on more phones, velazcod for his huge help with this release, Zinx for the su app this is based off of, Cyanogen and koush for their help and support, Fnorder for motivating me to finally fix the allow system properly, bartito, sacarino2k2, thiasB, RedVirus, regunus, leonnib4, Eug89, MrSnowflake, MarkM83 and stari4ek for translations, and whoever it was that wrote fix_permissions for the help writing fixsuperm.

I make no guarantee that this will work on your particular setup, but I will try to help get it working. There's also the community that can help. Post your questions with logs here in the thread and we'll try to get you an answer. If your phone bursts into a ball of flame, I can't help at all.

If you have any issues, please post them to the issue tracker on my github. It'll make them easier to keep track of.

Note: You will have to re-authorize any apps you want to have permission, unless you are already (successfully) running a 2.2 or higher version.

Note: I don't have a phone to test the cupcake/donut version on, should work no problem tho. Please let me know if there are any problems.

Note: Apps may still crash if they try to get permissions on boot that have not been granted yet. Once an app is in the whitelist, it should have no trouble at all getting permissions on boot.

As always, source is located at my github in my sig.
    Glad you like it. Sorry to keep you waiting so long... :eek:

Thanks for pointing out that you have to re-allow everything. I forgot to mention that. I'll put it up in the OP.

Only those people that haven't been running 2.0 will have to re-allow everything. This one uses the same database as in 2.0.

any ideas?

You'll want to use su-2.1-e-signed.zip. I've seen the symbolic loop before on an older cm5.0.7test. Try flashing 5.0.7test5, booting fully, booting into recovery and then flashing su-2.1. If that doesn't work, push the su binary from the zip to /system/xbin and it should fix it.

hi,

Agree!

I'll look into adding this.

i have got a milestone too and replace it but dont see it. which one have you taken? i have 2.1 rooted.

What ROM are you using?
    Bump for latest version. See OP
    Try reflashing, get me a logcat if you can.