Open Source (Kernel and System) Release Date?

Search This thread

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Haven't posted much here and read through the threads under the Evo board. Im not familiar with how HTC handles Android releases. My only Android and open source experience has been with Samsung and the moment.

Any rough ideas how long HTC has historically taken to release the open source for an android phone after its public launch? 2-3 weeks? 2-3 months?

Does anybody know if they will release kernel source (2.6.29) and Android 2.1 source or just their modified kernel source?

Hope these questions aren't too far off...

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I think you may have to wait a while for that.
i'm curious if anybody has any information which i wasn't able to find regarding this. the answer would either be based on previous information, inside information, or speculation. as i inquired previously and to combine your answer, is "a while" 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months? if nobody has any idea, that wouldnt surprise me either...

swaze

Nov 11, 2009
i'm curious if anybody has any information which i wasn't able to find regarding this. the answer would either be based on previous information, inside information, or speculation. as i inquired previously and to combine your answer, is "a while" 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months? if nobody has any idea, that wouldnt surprise me either...

Well it took what, 5-6 months for the release of the kernel for the hero, so a while could be a long time.

chuckhriczko

The problem with the Hero was due to GSM and CDMA variants.

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

Not really. HTC had the Kernel source, they just sat on it. Most of the Android devices HTC has released has taken about 6 months to get the kernel source. I would expect no different with this device. However, considering the Incredible source is indeed already released maybe they are changing that. Regardless, is the kernel version actually still 2.6.29 or do the newer devices have a newer kernel? I thought the N1 used 2.6.31.

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Not really. HTC had the Kernel source, they just sat on it. Most of the Android devices HTC has released has taken about 6 months to get the kernel source. I would expect no different with this device. However, considering the Incredible source is indeed already released maybe they are changing that. Regardless, is the kernel version actually still 2.6.29 or do the newer devices have a newer kernel? I thought the N1 used 2.6.31.
android 2.1 released for the samsung moment is on 2.6.29. idk how accurate of a gauge this is for the EVO.
thats unfortunate it took them so long to release the source code. i thought there was a time constraint on the GNU open license giving them a short time period between public release and deadline to release the open source. i could be wrong though...