Phone says "Type password to decrypt storage". PLEASE HELP I'm out of ideas

Search This thread

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi, I am in a similar issue. Started a thread as well http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/htc-m8-encrypted-message-locked-boot-t3335383
But in my case , bootloader is locked, S-ON, and there is no custom recovery as TWRP etc. I have been trying all the options and it always boots up to that encryption message. Please give me some ideas... Thanks.
Please direct. My phone is Sprint based and one evening when looked at it had the dreaded decrypt screen. I didn't do anything to get there.
Your phone didn't encrypt itself! There's a reason you can't circumvent this security and really people should not be helping you try to do so in this forum.
I have to agree with Behold_this. If you are just trying to reset the phone to get it back to a usable state, then that is fine. In that case, you can try a factory reset, run the RUU, or do what's suggested in the link quoted. If none of that works, I don't know what you could try.

However, if you are trying to break the encryption leaving the data intact, then that is not allowed for obvious reasons (one of which is that one could break into someone else's phone without permission).

If you have any questions or concerns about the policy, please feel free to send me a PM and we'll discuss it further.

Thanks,
coal686
Forum Moderator

suddug

Mar 20, 2016
I have to agree with Behold_this. If you are just trying to reset the phone to get it back to a usable state, then that is fine. In that case, you can try a factory reset, run the RUU, or do what's suggested in the link quoted. If none of that works, I don't know what you could try.

However, if you are trying to break the encryption leaving the data intact, then that is not allowed for obvious reasons (one of which is that one could break into someone else's phone without permission).

If you have any questions or concerns about the policy, please feel free to send me a PM and we'll discuss it further.

Thanks,
coal686
Forum Moderator

Correctly said and I agree, I am not trying to break any encryption etc, just want the phone to be normal again, so it can be usuable. This is my sons phone, who has no idea about software, hardware issues, and one day showed this error. Whatever we do, I cannot bring this phone out of it. I have tried to unlock boot loader so I can get the original phone back but it won't unlock.

Once again, no foul play here, just need for it to start normally. At present had to get him to use an old phone that I had to get Sprint to activate in meantime.

Thanks, if you have a way please help direct .

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
Correctly said and I agree, I am not trying to break any encryption etc, just want the phone to be normal again, so it can be usuable. This is my sons phone, who has no idea about software, hardware issues, and one day showed this error. Whatever we do, I cannot bring this phone out of it. I have tried to unlock boot loader so I can get the original phone back but it won't unlock.

Once again, no foul play here, just need for it to start normally. At present had to get him to use an old phone that I had to get Sprint to activate in meantime.

Thanks, if you have a way please help direct .

No problem. I wasn't making an accusation; I was just making sure the conversation was steered in the right direction. As for your issue, have you tried factory resetting the phone? There are other good suggestions in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/htc-m8-encrypted-message-locked-boot-t3335383

Suranjana12

Apr 30, 2016
I found out how to get to the bootloader/ recovery without fastboot off in the settings. I waited for the phone to die and once it did I plugged it in. Then I held down the power and volume down buttons and it didn't fastboot because it had died. Hope this helps someone!

Can you please explain the process in detail? Even I cannot access boot loader when I am holding the power and volume down button. I am stuck without any idea whatsoever. I don't have a spare phone either. I have never set a password for the phone. Will I loose all my data?

kmpksprabhu

HTC one m8 Verizon also has the same issue

Your phone didn't encrypt itself! There's a reason you can't circumvent this security and really people should not be helping you try to do so in this forum.

Dont give smart replies dude. ******* OEMs & Operators does all crap things to lock the HW we buy them paying times more than its price. I had the same problem one fine morning on my oustation trip. PATHETIC!! situation. It is sitting on my table as paper weight. Nothing could be done about it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Phone says "Type password to decrypt storage". PLEASE HELP I'm out of ideas

I was running the new liquid smooth, when I rebooted my phone it booted up and then took me to a screen that says "type password to decrypt storage". I've never encrypted my storage and have no password.

I rebooted into TWRP to restore a backup, but it won't mount my internal storage and it says 0mb as if it's not even there. Then I tried to flash the GPE RUU, it sends the file but then when its time write it it won't mount the system. I also tried side loading the ROM and it won't mount either.

someone please help me.

EDIT: fixed the issue. Very simple actually. make sure you are bootloader unlocked and have TWRP as recovery.

Boot into recovery>Wipe>Format Data>type in "yes">Go to main menu>Install>check to make sure it says 'xxxxx mb' (x is a placeholder for numbers. for example, when i had my problem my internal storage said 0mb)>go to advanced>adb sideload>check both boxes>swype to start sideload>sideload the rom from your computer

This is also very helpful if you wipe your system and have no ROM to flash. Same steps apply
    fastboot format userdata would get the job done too

N7
    I was running the new liquid smooth, when I rebooted my phone it booted up and then took me to a screen that says "type password to decrypt storage". I've never encrypted my storage and have no password.

I rebooted into TWRP to restore a backup, but it won't mount my internal storage and it says 0mb as if it's not even there. Then I tried to flash the GPE RUU, it sends the file but then when its time write it it won't mount the system. I also tried side loading the ROM and it won't mount either.

someone please help me.

EDIT: fixed the issue. Very simple actually. make sure you are bootloader unlocked and have TWRP as recovery.

Boot into recovery>Wipe>Format Data>type in "yes">Go to main menu>Install>check to make sure it says 'xxxxx mb' (x is a placeholder for numbers. for example, when i had my problem my internal storage said 0mb)>go to advanced>adb sideload>check both boxes>swype to start sideload>sideload the rom from your computer

This is also very helpful if you wipe your system and have no ROM to flash. Same steps apply

I've had this problem. To solve it which took me some thought I went to root explorer and mounted as root then booted into recovery and everything was back.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    You don't have to flash new rom,
    just unlock bootloader, flash twrp, and do factory reset/wipe data... reboot and you're done

thanks for sharing hobs94