Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,034 Members 47,299 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Faster Flashing W/O Activesync and is Task29 better?

Tip us?

Labarum
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Faster Flashing W/O Activesync and is Task29 better?

Ok these two are related and are not...

I hadn't seen this elsewhere even with a search but to flash without having to use activesync simply power down your phone (completely off) either by holding the power button for about 3 seconds or by a program or remove your battery and count to 10...

Then hold volume down and power on the device then wait until the device gives you the bootloader screen (or the 3 colored bars)...

At this point the bootloader will say serial in the white portion... hook up a USB and connect it to the computer... windows 7 beeps at you when it accepts it... and it should now read "usb"... flash away!

1. power down
2. wait for shutdown
3. hold volume down
4. power on
5. wait for 3 color screen and serial
6. release
7. connect usb to both computer and phone.
8. wait for serial to change to usb
9. flash away!

With that said I like clearing my memory with Task29 which gave me this idea... as I hate doing activesync flashing... repeat... however I found that activesync does not resolve driver issues...

This is why it is advised to do task29 and your stock rom... then flashing your cooked rom... some things that task29 could not clear up for me that stock could....

I had a new voicemail message on every reset hard or soft... on 3 roms... this was a problem as there was no voicemail... but there was the icon?

Answer: flashed stock rom... this removed it where several task29's could not

Internet could not connect... Answer: flashed stock rom again... task29 and hard reset could not...

I know this takes a long time... flashing stock, task 29, then your Rom, and no the 2.07's do not count as Stock... and they do not seem to clear up anything... as the voicemail glitch was on WWE 2.07 EU and the internet was on a WWE 2.07 ASIA... I flashed, reflashed, task29'd, and hard reset, nothin'!

My thought is that first you restore the drivers/hardware let the phone reboot clear any problems... clear the rom with task29 then have a fairly good place to set your new Rom with good drivers/hardware and blank slate!
Hope this is useful for a lot of problems.

steviewevie
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 615
Going into bootloader mode is covered in the sticky thread about flashing ROMs. You can also flash from memory card too.

task29 completely wipes out the ROM area. I'm struggling to understand how flashing a stock ROM after a task29, and then your cooked ROM, is better. In fact it seems worse to me, i.e. you may have some stuff from the stock ROM left around when you flash the cooked ROM.

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 574
You didn't say that you need Hard SPL on your Rhodium to do this... I reckon a lot of noobs reading this would brick their devices after reading this...

steviewevie
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69 View Post
You didn't say that you need Hard SPL on your Rhodium to do this... I reckon a lot of noobs reading this would brick their devices after reading this...
I don't think they'd be at risk of bricking. Task29 needs HardSPL and will refuse to work otherwise. And a ROM flash will just hang without HardSPL.

Kenichi
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I don't see a reason to flash a stock rom, at all. Although, I do appreciate your input about task29 to stock rom then to cooked rom. It just doesn't make sense to me, because I have never had issue using task29 and then just flashing to the next cooked rom.

Labarum
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Like I said above guys... I have ISSUES TASK29 COULD NOT RESOLVE ALONE... thus flashing the STOCK then Task29... NOT Task29 then Stock that would seem to be pointless -eh? So I am sorry if I were not clear enough in the post.

As far as the sticky, I had read through it... must of missed it but then again I was skimming for stuff I did not already know from my days of owning a T-Mo Dash (2G)... sorry but I did not remember seeing these instructions on how to get around activesync all the time... I mean let's face it, it is time consuming.

Also I let the stock run for a little too... just a few minutes and a reset or two...
Tags
activesync, brick, connection, task29, voicemail