Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

[HACK] Adding codes lines to build.prop in Froyo

OP mtw4991

29th May 2010, 12:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 216

2,242 posts
More
Originally Posted by stampere
you can edit the build.prop by
adb pull /system/build.prop c:\where\you\want\to\put\it\
open with wordpad and add the following lines

ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category=5

save the file

adb remount
adb push c:\where\you\want\to\put\it\build.prop /system/

reboot so that the settings take effect
__________________________________________________ ______________

Stampere suggested this over in Paul's thread with no replys. The hxspa and gprsclass are not included in the Froyo build.prop anywhere I can see. They were included in CM 5.0.6.

Has anyone added these to Froyo and do they help or are they unnecessary and will conflict with the new Froyo 4.0.6 radio build?
29th May 2010, 12:48 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

256 posts
I added the first two and it helped a lil....wondering the same thing tho....
29th May 2010, 12:48 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
More
Are you sure all those options are still relevant? My froyo image has none of these and performs well. I can get higher throughput by adding

Code:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
But the rest are largely undocumented and should remain at default unless someone can prove what they do.

The biggest issue is the radio. With Froyo, my 3g disconnection issues are GONE, so now we can focus on latency and throughput.
29th May 2010, 12:57 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando, FL

2,242 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by damentz

Are you sure all those options are still relevant? My froyo image has none of these and performs well. I can get higher throughput by adding

Code:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
But the rest are largely undocumented and should remain at default unless someone can prove what they do.

The biggest issue is the radio. With Froyo, my 3g disconnection issues are GONE, so now we can focus on latency and throughput.

This is my point exactly. While I'm still getting some Edge flipping on Froyo radio in weak signal areas like work building, if the throughput is higher then why not add it? I don't think it can hurt anything

The rest are "relatively" undocumented as Cyanogen said he didn't know what they did, therefore he wasn't going to mess with them. My 2 thoughts were:
(1) If throughput were increased, would power consumption decrease as data would be transmitted and completed faster...or
(2) Would adding additional code lines conflict with the current image somehow as they were obviously left out on purpose?
29th May 2010, 01:40 AM   |  #5  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 21

801 posts
More
Since this has been confirmed as a test build, perhaps some of these other properties will show up in the official build?

I too have better connection with the froyo radio - but weak throughput. I'll research and try some of these and report back if I find anything positive.
29th May 2010, 01:51 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando, FL

2,242 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prscott1

Since this has been confirmed as a test build, perhaps some of these other properties will show up in the official build?

I too have better connection with the froyo radio - but weak throughput. I'll research and try some of these and report back if I find anything positive.

I added the hsxpa and gprsclass entries to my build.prop and will test also when I get out of work into a 3g environment, lol. I had modded this in CM 5.0.6 and played with hsxpa settings of 1 and 2. 1, I believe is WCDMA preferred and 2 is universal or something like that...
29th May 2010, 03:36 AM   |  #7  
Flag SLOcala, FL
Thanks Meter: 40

306 posts
More
my only question would be are these changes necessary, or does the device already have the settings hard coded. as in, did the carriers add these lines to some devices to level the field between the power users and the casual user.

need at least class 14 hsdpa to access tmo hspa+ 21.1 mbps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Sp..._Packet_Access

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Sp..._Packet_Access
Last edited by themetatron; 29th May 2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: add hsupa wiki
29th May 2010, 03:36 AM   |  #8  
Flag Madison, Alabama
Thanks Meter: 10

44 posts
More
Just Google hsdpa, hsupa, hsxpa
You need to choose the appropriate category for your local network.
I forget which is which but the category number is representative of the download/upload speeds you are capable of while on edge, 3g, beyond 3g, hsdpa.
For me, T-Mobile in Madison, Alabama,
GPRS= category 32
Hsdpa= category 14 (this doubled my speed on mobile speedtest.com!)
Hsupa= category 7
Hsxpa= category 2
I always add these to my build.prop and yes its because when I first saw them in one of Paul's desire roms, I googled each of them and tested and I can definitely tell the difference.
Good luck

Want free 2gb dropbox?
Use this link. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTczOTM2MTY5
Last edited by Daddyroot; 29th July 2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: new discovery through testing!
29th May 2010, 04:41 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 4

256 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyroot

Just Google hsdpa, hsupa, hsxpa
You need to choose the appropriate category for your local network.
I forget which is which but the category number is representative of the download/upload speeds you are capable of while on edge, 3g, beyond 3g, hsdpa.
For me, T-Mobile in Madison, Alabama,
GPRS= category 32
Hsdpa= category 8
Hsupa= category 7
Hsxpa= category 2

I always add these to my build.prop and yes its because when I first saw them in one of Paul's desire roms, I googled each of them and tested and I can definitely tell the difference.
Good luck

Want free 2gb dropbox?
Use this link. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTczOTM2MTY5

definitely got faster UL and DL speeds with the text I bolded
29th May 2010, 05:12 AM   |  #10  
Flag Torrance. California
Thanks Meter: 173

1,560 posts
Donate to Me
More
Interesting... not sure itll be a good idea or even make a difference but Ill give this a try and report back my findings... If I may add though, an easier way to edit would be through root explorer app from market.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread